SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-19, 01:31 PM   #1
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Default Why I love this game

Setting aside all the usual reasons, this game resonates at a deep level. Watching an unfamiliar DD sweep out of nowhere in front of me as I turn and twist toward the Kongo and Yamato which are leading a column of BBs off Samar, I brace for the inevitable depth charges, only to finally realize it's firing at the Kongo only a few ship lengths away.

"Holy crap, it's the Johnston! It's Cmdr Evans himself!"

This time it will be different. This time the cavalry's already here. Torps are already in the water.

Elation as the first of my stern torpedoes takes the Kongo just under Turret B, holding my breath for the followup, shallower torpedo, a Mk 18, to finish cracking the magazine and relieve the Johnston.

Bitter disappointment as the Mk 18 misses somehow. Incredulous disbelief as the entire salvo of four Mk 18s misses the crippled Yamato just 850 meters off the bow.

Before I can reload, the Johnston goes down.

Damn.

This game resonates. That's why it's the only game I've spent any real time playing in decades, despite the occasional frustrations.

Gotta do something about those Mark 18s though.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 06:42 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Looking into my crystal ball, I can see more frustration in your torpedo-shooting future...

I also see several dozens times dozens of loads of fun ahead...

I have been playing the game now (the SH4 game) with various mods for over (wow!) over 12 years, and after a dismal disappointment in the first several releases of the game & patches, v1.5 did make it a decent platform. v1.4 was good too, don't get me wrong, and I was ticked-off and refused to buy the v1.5 upgrade when it first came out, but I finally did, and it is the best of the Silent Hunter series, in spite of all of its shortcomings and weirdness for modding...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 09:19 AM   #3
Tuesday
Swabbie

Downloads: 14

Sep 1942, running an aggressive patrol on the surface in the South China Seas when the sound man reports a warship closing.

I turned to the Radar operator and he reports he can't see it.

I call the crew to Battle Stations and immediately order periscope depth & 1/3 speed! "Rig for Silent running!"

We patiently listen and wait...

While we wait we examine the radar gear, how in the heck did he miss a warship closing?

Time to take a look: "Up Scope!"

After a quick scan we spot a Submarine!

(After 12 years of playing this game I have never come across another submarine)

After the initial shock settles in we go to work!

At first I think it just might be another American Submarine conducting an aggressive patrol on the surface just like us, but as she comes into view it becomes very clear she is in fact a Jap Submarine! I can even see the captain wearing an olive colored uniform in the middle of a crowded bridge!

Because of the calm seas and bright Sun the scope only goes up for a max of 15 seconds at a time as we observe and track her every movement.

Time was indeed on our side as we accurately input her speed, 7 knots, range, 2,198 yards, and her angle of the bow quickly approaching that ideal 90 degree angle!

The Mark 14's in tubes one and two are set to run fast and shallow as they are flooded.

Tension on the boat is at an all time high and time seems to slow down, but patience is a silent hunter's true virtue!

"Up scope!"

The perfect set up! "Fire tube one!"

The sound man reports the torpedo is running on track, & visual observations confirm this fact as well!

"Fire tube two! Scope down!"

The sound man reports the 2nd torpedo is running on track as well.

The loud ticking of 2nd hand of the chronometer is all that can be heard in the conning tower. Hearts are beating fast as well!

"Up scope!" Time to watch the fire works!

The first torpedo was screaming fast at the mid section of the Jap submarine went right under her!

A loud "Damn it went DEEP!" slips uncontrollably from my mouth! Note to self: show more restraint in front of your crew!

To my surprise the Japanese bridge crew did not notice our wiz'ing failure of a torpedo go right under them! Not that it mattered because the 2nd torpedo was coming in HOT!

My mind raced with one constant plea: "Please, Please, Please.."

What came next was the biggest explosion I have ever witnessed in this game! The explosion and loud sound echoed through our sub almost immediately! The 2nd torpedo hit just aft of the conning tower!
The entire submarine was engulfed in a violent flame and smoke screen. When the smoked finally cleared the first thing I noticed through my grin was the bridge of the Japanese submarine was clear. Did they just evaporate into dust and smoke and gently float away? The Japanese submarine had a hole that stretched from just aft of their conning tower to just about the end of their boat! The critical hit insured there were no survivors!

"All stop! Up night scope!"

I allowed the crew to take turns in observing our kill.

When Seaman 1st class Ernest King came up to take his turn he sobered the mood up by saying "That could have been us"

Love this game!

Last edited by Tuesday; 04-07-19 at 09:29 AM.
Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 11:01 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

Tuesday! AFTER A TWELVE YEAR SILENT RUN!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 01:51 PM   #5
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

I'm glad you posted that, Tuesday. I hadn't expected operational Japanese subs, just the occasional Sen Toku glimpsed in a port raid. Are you using stock or one of the mega-mods?
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 04:05 PM   #6
Tuesday
Swabbie

Downloads: 14

The only mod I am running at the moment is TMO

/salute!
Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 10:44 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate has quite a few different IJN submarine models you might encounter...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote