SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-09, 10:00 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Subsim Narwhal Contest - Mod is now available, see post #662

UPDATE March 2010

Woot! It works and it's fantastic!

SH4 Narwhal mod donation download

Thanks to everyone for their hard work and generous spirit to allow Subsim to host this as a donation download

Thanks to Keltos01, enjoy your $200 prize, you earned it. Subsim goodies are on the way

Thanks to Sledgehammer, please PM me with your Paypal email and I will award the second place prize to you.

Special thanks to Ducimus and Peabody, for their expertise and community spirit.

Extra special thanks to Hitman, who just couldn't stand to see the Grand Old Lady absent from the game.

If you have donated recently to Subsim for Bonus Mods, for Pacific Aces, a Radio Room donation, whatever: send me an email with your Paypal donation DATE and your Paypal EMAIL, I will set you up ASAP. Put this in the subject: Here is my Paypal info for the Narwhal 2010 bonus mod (copy and paste works great for this, ensures quick response).

To all the members who donate, thank you, I appreciate the support.
Best
Neal
SUBSIM

Original Contest info May 2009
One thing missing from Silent Hunter 4 is a playable USS Narwhal. So, what's the natural thing to do? Hold a competition. Subsim will award a $200 prize plus a Subsim shirt, battle mug, and hat to the modder or mod team who wins. If the model is submitted by a team, they can decide how to split the prizes. Runner up will receive $50.

The Narwhal model must be an SH4 playable, 3D Max, around 100k polygons, 4 textures of 1024 by 1024, a comparable number of faces and turms as other SH4 models. The Narwhal model will be used as a donation download at Subsim.

Deadline to enter is May 31. Model must be submitted by July 4. Judges will test and play each model and announce the winner by Aug 1.

Cheers
Neal

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 03-20-10 at 02:46 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 12:15 AM   #2
NEON DEON
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
One thing missing from Silent Hunter 4 is a playable USS Narwhal. So, what's the natural thing to do? Hold a competition. Subsim will award a $200 prize plus a Subsim shirt, battle mug, and hat to the modder or mod team who wins. If the model is submitted by a team, they can decide how to split the prizes. Runner up will receive $50.

The Narwhal model must be an SH4 playable, 3D Max, around 100k polygons, 4 textures of 1024 by 1024, a comparable number of faces and turms as other SH4 models. The Narwhal model will be used as a donation download at Subsim.

Deadline to enter is May 31. Model must be submitted by July 4. Judges will test and play each model and announce the winner by Aug 1.

Cheers
Neal
Argh!

Third place?

A date with Neal!
Old 05-08-09, 04:57 AM   #3
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEON DEON View Post
Third place?

A date with Neal!
does he buy ?

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 11:15 AM   #4
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
One thing missing from Silent Hunter 4 is a playable USS Narwhal.

I do not understand... for example playable "Narwhal" class is still used in single/multi mode at Trigger Maru 1.6.3 mod (available new version but not tested)...

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 11:55 AM   #5
DaveyJ576
Officer

Downloads: 20

Whoever takes on this project has to get the specs right.

The Narwhal and Nautilus were slower surfaced and submerged, had a shallower test depth, had a bigger turning circle, and dove slower due to their large size. They were also riveted, which makes them more vulnerable to depth charge damage. The big attraction of these boats is the long range, the two big guns, and the fact that they could carry up to 36 torpedoes.

In short, they were a real challenge to take to sea on a war patrol. Should make for some good gaming!!
DaveyJ576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 01:57 PM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

You know, since RFB achieves gameplay balance by nerfing the submarine, they are the logical people to nerf a fleet boat properly to make it act like a Narwhal. But do they have the 3d expertise to do quality graphics? Pretty much they haven't concerned themselves with eyecandy stuff.

And the visual distinctiveness of the Narwhal class was part of their appeal. Without it we just have a redo of TM. Great project for somebody to hit a home run on. Neal pitched a floater over the plate!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 02:00 PM   #7
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

How do I sign up to be a judge? I don't have the time or comp to develop such a thing, but would love to be involved with the testing.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 02:18 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Narwahl and Nautilus be hanged! I want Argonaut!
Old 05-08-09, 09:22 PM   #9
Harry708
Watch

Downloads: 26

Quote:

The Narwhal and Nautilus were slower surfaced and submerged, had a shallower test depth, had a bigger turning circle, and dove slower due to their large size. They were also riveted, which makes them more vulnerable to depth charge damage. The big attraction of these boats is the long range, the two big guns, and the fact that they could carry up to 36 torpedoes.

In short, they were a real challenge to take to sea on a war patrol. Should make for some good gaming!!
Actually the Narwhal and Nautilus had a test depth of 300 feet like the Gato.

Narwhal Class Submarine: Laid down, 10 May 1927, at Portsmouth Navy Yard, Kittery, ME; Launched, 17 December 1929; Commissioned Cruiser Submarine USS V-5 (SC-1), 15 May 1930; Renamed Narwahl (SS-167), 19 February 1931; Decommissioned, 23 April 1945, at Philadelphia, PA.; Struck from the Naval Register, 19 May 1945; Final Disposition, sold for scrapping. Narwhal received 15 battle stars for World War II service.

Specifications: Displacement, Surfaced: 2,730 t., Submerged: 3,960 t.; Length 371' ; Beam 33' 3"; Draft 15' 9"; Speed, Surfaced 17 kts, Submerged 8 kts; Depth Limit 300'; Complement 8 officers 80 enlisted; Armament, four 21" torpedo tubes forward, two 21" torpedo tubes aft, four 21" torpedo tubes topside, 24-26 torpedoes internal (four external tubes {two each bow and stern, four torpedoes} were added 1942-3; provision for 8-12 additional torpedoes externally); two single 6"/53 deck gun, two 30 cal. mgs.; Propulsion, diesel electric, Maschinfabrik - Augusburg- Nurnburg, New York Navy Yard diesel engines, hp 3175, Fuel Capacity, 182,778 gal., Westinghouse Electric Co., electric motors, hp 2500, Battery Cells 240, twin propellers.
Harry708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 10:20 PM   #10
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJ576 View Post

My Gato has 2 guns,twin 40 AAA AND 40 torps.....

clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 12:41 AM   #11
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 135

Sorry, but SS-167 and SS-168 was defferent between. Like Porpoise submarines and other US submarine. For example SS-167 have Mk-14 torpedo, but SS-168 hane Mk-15, defference in speed and other data. Total near like defferent between submarines Porpoise class I, II and III series and inside series defference from werft where submarine was built. So if anyone can made SS-167, may be he can made and SS-168 with defferent data?
denis_469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 01:12 AM   #12
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antar View Post
I do not understand... for example playable "Narwhal" class is still used in single/multi mode at Trigger Maru 1.6.3 mod (available new version but not tested)...
It's just a hack, not a true model of the Narwhal.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 03:47 AM   #13
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

To clarify some things about the contest:

The main thing we are after, is a good 3D Narwhal model.

We know that modders here will be able to tweak here and there the submarine, so it does behave like it should, have the proper range, weaponry, etc. Therefore, what we need most is to have it look like the real thing, so when in doubt, concentrate in the 3D model and don't worry that much about testing physics and behaviour.

Oh, and an Argonaut variant would certainly be interesting

Main difference is the elevated gun platform in the Narwhal/Nautilus vs. the standard guns on deck in the Argonaut, so the variant can in fact be created by just using the plain hull before the gun platform is modelled and added.

I will post ASAP in this thread plans and pictures of the Narwhal/Argonaut so that anyone interested can have material to start with
Old 05-09-09, 06:50 AM   #14
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

As announced, here are plans for both the Argonaut and Nautilus. Note the raised deck guns platform as main difference, aside from the flooding holes. Note also that for SH4 the model just needs the basic parts, and the proper nodes which call common parts that are already in the SH4 library (propellers, periscopes, torpedo tube doors, etc.) so you don't need to model all of those.

ARGONAUT:

NARWHAL:

CONNING TOWER CONFIGURATIONS:

Good pictures of the ships (V-Boats), some of them showing hull, ruder, propellers, etc. while in dry dock:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/04idx.htm

http://www.pigboats.com/subs/v-boats.html
Old 05-09-09, 03:55 PM   #15
NEON DEON
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

Don't forget the scuttles