SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-08, 05:58 PM   #46
sqk7744
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Nice DT!

You are the master of the nodes!

Ay, the 4_50's from last night shedded everything in site, made a real junkyard of the ocean floor.
sqk7744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 08:02 PM   #47
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

nice 50's but i'd rather have the dual 40mm!

did they have the 50's in the front? or were larger guns there normally?
Old 06-30-08, 11:07 PM   #48
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqk7744
Nice DT!

You are the master of the nodes!

Ay, the 4_50's from last night shedded everything in site, made a real junkyard of the ocean floor.
Master of the nodes, not quite, master of the CTD maybe :rotfl:

The twin bofors (I wish there were some quads) were driving me nuts. Evidently the stock game twins had some problems with one of the particle generators. After ruling out ID duplications (what a pain in the arse, but still much easier with skwas' S3D than searching with a hex editor), the only things I had left to blame for the CTDs when they started firing was animations and particle generators, sooo, I took out some of the lesser particle generators and no more CTDs. May go back at some time in the future and add them back in one at a time to see where the problem lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy117

I doubt if they ever had a .50 mounted on the bow like that, I was just playing around with all the possibilities of gun mountings and making sure that the .50s would function as a deck gun rather than AA. Doubt if there's enough room on the current deck to add a third DGun, anyway.

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 11:52 PM   #49
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Actually I wouldn't mind a couple 150 round 50's on the side

or give one for me to shoot while I'm sitting on the bridge....lol one hand on the gun the other on the wheel...I guess I'll use telegraph with my foot

helm! commence zig-zags!!
Old 07-01-08, 12:21 AM   #50
Charlielima
Gunner

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Actually I wouldn't mind a couple 150 round 50's on the side

or give one for me to shoot while I'm sitting on the bridge....lol one hand on the gun the other on the wheel...I guess I'll use telegraph with my foot

helm! commence zig-zags!!
I believe the nearest twin 50 behind the bridge would be a cool default for the Skippers' gun. That 40mm on the bow is nice.
Guns, Papa Tangos, This is turning my screws: http://www.ptboatworld.com/photos2.htm
CL

Last edited by Charlielima; 07-01-08 at 12:02 PM.
Charlielima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 09:14 PM   #51
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145

Quote:

hey, those boats were made of plywood!!!

a dual 40 mike mike would rip your deck in real life, but I agree it would be nice, too much weight and not that many rounds probably.

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 11:59 PM   #52
Charlielima
Gunner

My perception is that the most or heavy the Papa Tangos went / had was a single 40 mike mike both for and aft. Check out: http://www.ptboatworld.com/photos2.htm. CL
Old 07-02-08, 09:42 AM   #53
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Yep, the singles are probably what will end up on the boat, but we also wanted to test the functionality of the other possibilities. It never hurts to have options (even if the rivet count doesn't quite add up)

Old 07-02-08, 11:04 PM   #54
Charlielima
Gunner

A 40 bofars on both for and aft was used on some elco and higgins boats. For those that want more cannon type guns the oldsmobile 37 mm had a habit of being acquired and utilized as a field mod by PT boat crews who desired more punch just as we do. Too bad the elco boat has a cabin taking up the deck space between the bridge and the rear gun. The higgins boat was open there. The higgins PTGB had 4 twin 50s mounted amidships .That would be a natural location for 4 of the oldsmobile guns. or 20mm if that area is to tender for 37s. Since the use of the 37mm was a field mod the rivet counters would need some official documentation of where 37mm guns would not be mounted sensibly. If you need pics, PM me and I'll flip you some. CL
Old 07-02-08, 11:52 PM   #55
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

I think the Pt boat would be wonderful in the costal areas, like the islands off australia...could we make it only assigned to those waters
Old 07-03-08, 09:51 AM   #56
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Once we get to the campaign building part, we'll have to do some heavy research as to where would be good places to operate. My guess, also, is that coastal waters are going to be the best place to operate.

Personally, I'd like to be as realistic as possible, but still make it fun and interesting, so.........

Old 07-03-08, 10:04 AM   #57
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
Thanks, RDP, we'll make sure you're one of the first testers
Nice, thanks

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 12:26 PM   #58
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Need to set up a go rescue McArthur from Corrigedor in a PT Boat patrol
Old 07-03-08, 12:40 PM   #59
sqk7744
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Need to set up a go rescue McArthur from Corrigedor in a PT Boat patrol
Yes sir!

PT41 MTB RON3 ala 'They were expendable' (the movie) ~Fire in the paint locker

http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/ptboat.htm

At dusk on 11 March 1942 General MacArthur on PT 41, and Admiral Rockwell on PT 34, were lead through US minefield and the Japanese defences by PT 41 bound for Mindanao. These PT boats were armed with four .50 calibre machineguns and four torpedo tubes. They finally cleared the minefield by 9.15pm.

By 3:30 a.m. on 12 March 1942, John Bulkeley's four PT boats are separated by heavy seas. PT 32, was having trouble keeping up with the other three boats. It saw an enemy destroyer, and jettisoned some of its gasoline to escape. This meant it would not now reach Mindanao.

The four war weary PT boats stagger into the Cuyo Island hideout. PT 32 was. It was low on gasoline and it engines were unserviceable. Another boat, PT 35 was also unserviceable with fouled gasoline strainers.

The passengers were divided between two PT boats, PT 32 and 41.

By the time they reached Cuyo Island MacArthur and his son were both soaked and very seasick. Jean MacArthur put on a brave face.

The escape plan was behind schedule. They were originally meant to move on from Cuyo Island in the dark. MacArthur ordered Bulkeley to depart Cuyo Island at 2:30 p.m.. They risked a possible daylight encounter with the Japanese Navy.

The PT boats were in the open sea by 3:30pm. Within 15 minutes they spotted the Japanese heavy cruiser Ashigara. It carried eight-inch guns and Long Lance torpedoes and could travel at 35 knots. By then, PT 41 was only capable of 18 knots.

They took evasive action and were never seen by the Japanese. As they approached Negros Island that evening, Japanese artillerymen hear the PT boats engine noises, and thought they could hear American aircraft. They fire their artillery and light up the sky with flak tracer shells. The PT boats have another lucky escape.

By now General MacArthur is extremely sea sick in the lower cockpit of PT 41. His wife Jean comforts him by rubbing his hands.

At 6:30 am on 13 March 1942, PT 34 sights Cagayan Point on Mindanao Island. They had spent 35 hours travelling through 560 miles of Japanese waters. John D. Bulkeley, who had commanded his boat continuously for those 35 hours, arrived at Del Monte precisely on time.

General Douglas MacArthur stood on the prow of his PT boat shaking the salt water from his braided cap. He flipped it back on at a jaunty angle, and helped his wife ashore. MacArthur was most appreciative of the crews of the PT boats and he told their commander:-

"Bulkeley, I'm giving every officer and man here the Silver Star for gallantry. You've taken me out of the jaws of death, and I won't forget it."

He then apparently proceeded to ask Col. William Morse where he could relieve himself!

A book and a movie called "They Were Expendable" was made about their amazing escape. Bulkeley became quite famous after this. After commanding some PT boats in the Mediterranean, he eventually rose to the rank of Admiral. He died in 1996 and was buried at Arlington with full military honors.

On 15 March 1942, while they waited for the B-17's to rescue them, MacArthur's aide, Sid Huff, takes Jean MacArthur's mattress off PT 41. This event lead to a wild story that the mattress was supposedly full of gold bars. It was only full of feathers.

After the General MacArthur's staff were transferred from PT-32, Lt. (jg) V.E. Schumacher and his crew were picked up by the submarine USS Permit, which took them to Fremantle. They intentionally destroyed PT-32 during the rendezvous, to prevent the Japanese from capturing it. With the crew of PT-32 on board, USS Permit was severely overloaded with passengers. The Permit's mission had been to evacuate from Corregidor a group of code breakers who were capable of translating intercepted Japanese military communications. These code breakers apparently knew beforehand, the position of the Japanese destroyers that depth-charged the Permit a few days later, but did not tell the captain of USS Permit for fear that his taking another route to avoid them would reveal that the US had broken the Japanese code.
sqk7744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 01:28 PM   #60
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Yes sir! This could be a very cool mission to make when you PT is ready for patrol.