Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 06-08-09, 12:22 PM   #46
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post

HunterICX
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 02:29 PM   #47
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Hi guys if you run Free Falcon 5 on Vista you may have more freezes and CTDs.

Make sure to download and install the HOTFIX!!!.

I would like to share a graphics setting for Nvidia card especially for the 8 and 9 series.

I quote this from FreeFalcon forum

So, working settings for me are:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graphics Card(Nvidia 8800GT 512mb)
Processor acc. to : mulitple displays(even with one screen)
gamma correction active.
AA mode: Enhance game settings, nothing else works. Even if all your comments about AA are true. This is the setting that works.
AA= x16 or 16Q work well.
Negative LOD Bias: Clamp
Texture quality: High Quality
Forced MIpmap: None
Extesion Limits: Deactivated
Threaded Optimization: Auto
Vertical sync: forced deactivated
Prerender limit: 2
Tripple Buffer Memory: Active

Desktop Shortcut: "F:\Program Files\FreeFalcon5\FFViper.exe" -hires -g4.
(delete -g4 if you have crashes with it)
I don't know why but the -g4 setting instead of -g2 gives me less texture shimmering on the horizon.

In Game settings.

Haze, Advanced Lighting and Cloud shadows are on. The sliders are left the same(untouched).
No matter what screen you have always use 32 bits sizes.

Anisotropic filtering= off
Mipmapping= off
Linear Mipmap filtering= off

Render GM to texture= on
Rendered 2d cockpit= on
Font Texel Alignment= on

I don't care if AA is this or that. All I know is these settings work flawlessly. No CTDs.

(Set Anti aliasing transparency to off if you still have crashes)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Compatibility mode
Right click on the shortcut to FreeFalcon5 on te compatibility tab

Tick the following:
Disable visual theme
Disable desktop composition
Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

You can try choosing to run in XP SP2 mode, this will bring the intro video to be properly played but for me I get more CTDs and freezes when using this.

Playing with the above setting gives me the most stable FreeFalcon which has never crashed even once on Vista x64 at least so far. I used to be getting quite a lot of freezes, black screen and some CTDs which really were upsetting.

Good luck.

Perhaps we could fly together with teamspeak sometimes.
Old 06-09-09, 03:23 AM   #48
Castout
Silent Hunter

Well I still get occasional CTD with the above setting .

Oh well. . . .

Played my first MP today. The first ran flawlessly.

I bagged a DPRK MiG-29A and an E-3......AWACS....yes that's right THE AWACS .

My RWR showed a MiG-29 or Su-27(Since both have the same RWR symbology) in my 12 o'clock direction. I went buster saw the boogie on my radar in that direction and launched 2 AMRAAMs at it. Only after I launched did my team mates were shouting it's a friendly. . .

So that how I became the North Korean hero on my first MP flight.

On that first flight I was flying the eagle and I was only familiar with the Viper . . .on the second flight on the Raptor my screen just suddenly froze....

Last edited by Castout; 06-09-09 at 03:39 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 05:32 AM   #49
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
Everything is normal then, I presume?
I'm gonna go on ahead and assume the answer is yes.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 08:05 AM   #50
SparrowHawk
Watch

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
Yeah, the hotfix fixed a bunch of my problems as well
Hi Gentlemen!

This is my first visit to this forum, and send my greets to you all fellow simmers.

I've been into F4 (and F3 before it) for some time - years ago. I just reinstalled F4.0 to try it on my new rig, and just thought this game has by now bit the dust! How wrong was I, and very pleased to find out!

One thing, tho'. I am befuddled by the choices that I thought I'd never have to make again re 'dancing'. The last time I did the damce was in 2001/2002. I've been experimenting with OP, FF, AF and any possible combination in between! I just love Falcon 4.0 and thurst for any/all details & news of this great sim moving forward into the 21st century.

Now, for my question, and I'd appreciate your kind help in sorting me out. FF5 installs like a dream. Plays like a dream. It definitely has pluses over AF and I just got started last night on it. But, how can I get it to run when another OP install is there? I like both of them, you see

Having said that, OP has given me a lot of trouble . Only stayed stable after installing thus : F4.0 CD -> F4.108US -> F4SP4 -> F4SP4.2 -> BMS2 -> F4SP4.2 data patch -> OF 4.5 -> OP 5.7 patch.

Then the graphics apppear (white) in the virual cockpit, buildings and runways, afterburner flame, but the natural scenery looks fine .

What am I missing in this install? I've not added any other skins, patches or mods apart from above, but suspect I have missed something in the dance routine, may be?

Any suggestions, links and tips would be breately appreciated!

Happy flying...

System:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2 Ghz
RAM 2GB Elixir DDR 400
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB DD3
500GB Seagate HDD sATA

Zonealarm Firewall
AVG Antivirus
SparrowHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 10:51 AM   #51
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk View Post
Hi Gentlemen!

This is my first visit to this forum, and send my greets to you all fellow simmers.
Hi and Welcome!

HunterICX
Old 11-05-09, 10:53 AM   #52
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Well, I can't get OF to work (properly) because I have Vista and an ATI card, so I can't help you.

On a side note, FF5.3 is released and the campaigns supposedly work now. Though I haven't tested them much yet.
Old 11-06-09, 04:42 AM   #53
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Hi Gentlemen!

I've been into F4 (and F3 before it) for some time - years ago. I just reinstalled F4.0 to try it on my new rig, and just thought this game has by now bit the dust! How wrong was I, and very pleased to find out!

One thing, tho'. I am befuddled by the choices that I thought I'd never have to make again re 'dancing'. The last time I did the damce was in 2001/2002. I've been experimenting with OP, FF, AF and any possible combination in between! I just love Falcon 4.0 and thurst for any/all details & news of this great sim moving forward into the 21st century.

Now, for my question, and I'd appreciate your kind help in sorting me out. FF5 installs like a dream. Plays like a dream. It definitely has pluses over AF and I just got started last night on it. But, how can I get it to run when another OP install is there? I like both of them, you see

Having said that, OP has given me a lot of trouble . Only stayed stable after installing thus : F4.0 CD -> F4.108US -> F4SP4 -> F4SP4.2 -> BMS2 -> F4SP4.2 data patch -> OF 4.5 -> OP 5.7 patch.

Then the graphics apppear (white) in the virual cockpit, buildings and runways, afterburner flame, but the natural scenery looks fine .

What am I missing in this install? I've not added any other skins, patches or mods apart from above, but suspect I have missed something in the dance routine, may be?

Any suggestions, links and tips would be breately appreciated!

Happy flying...

System:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2 Ghz
RAM 2GB Elixir DDR 400
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB DD3
500GB Seagate HDD sATA

Zonealarm Firewall
AVG Antivirus
Get OF support here
http://www.f4support.com/forums/index.php

And for FF
http://www.freefalcon.com/forum/index.php

I think you messed with the installation probably. I heard that ATI and OF don't go well together. Both plays best on XP.
Old 02-08-10, 02:15 PM   #54
SparrowHawk
Watch

Thanks guys, your input is really helpful and tahnx for the weblinks!

The stability issues & grafix distortion may well be due to ATI chipsets / GPU compatibility (re: my original thrread) I have since installed both OF and FF (4 & 5) with an nVidia 8400GS on an Intel 3.0 GHz with no grafix issues whatsoever!

However, in OF v4.7 I get alot of CTDs particularly when I select Veteran or lower then back to Ace. In FF 4 & 5 these CTD occure less frequently.

But, I love Falcon 4.0 (in any guise) to let these issues deter me. I am learning it all over again (since I last touched way back in 2001/2) and it's amazing when you come back and rediscover things from a fresh perspective.

I really do take my proveribial hat, and crash helmet'n'all, to those guys at both camps (as well as the Lead Pursuit team) for keeping this sim alive.

Now, (sorry to drag on) I have a techie question, if I may. I think many of you have multiple installs on your PC cohabiting happily. I tried Falcon Switcher but it refuses to run. Is this an XP issue?

I managed (after a fashion) to export & edit registry entries for OF, FF 4, FF5, BMS2 and SP4. I also have Allied Force installed. Where can I check the reg entries for each of these versions to double check my edits? Any help would be immensely appreciated. When I run the config editor it often barmey and then I get CTDs.

Cheers and happy flying!

Two other queries, regarding addons and version stability.
Old 02-08-10, 05:24 PM   #55
Snake Man
Sailor man

Downloads: 91

You can find the latest user made theaters from PMC Tactical forum Falcon 4 areas.

Vietnam

Operation Desert Storm

Nevada

Korea 128

Europe

Afghanistan

Taiwan

Libya

Iran

Georgia

Kurile

You have to dig somewhat deep into our forums to find all the installers, but they are there

Also anyone interested in OFP, ArmA, ArmA 2 or Falcon 4 editing can check out PMC Editing Wiki.
Snake Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 04:59 PM   #56
SparrowHawk
Watch

Thank you Snake Man

I am checking the PMC links for the edits as suggested. At some stage when I have dug deeper, I'd like to learn more about the mechanics of this flight sim. There are a lot of talented people out there who have contributed o much and an enormous amount of data to sift through.

Both chellenging and frustrating.

In OF 4.7 the model seems restricted to the highest realism settings (ACE). If I choose Veteran it will crash. If I use the brackets for MFD changes it will freez then I have to Ctrl Alt Del. Is that how it is meant to be?

I understand that OF is still WIP but I hope they can go on completing the flight models, 3D models, skins, and so on for all the jets as well as all the levels.

Falcon 4.0, altough not complete when released, provided a very intelligent paradigm: scalable difficulty and realism, and the structure to allow further development in almost all of it's aspects.

They don't make sims lile that and that's a shame.

I have Lock on but it lacks the feel and dynamism of Falcon4. For that I find it less engaging (pardon the pun).

Civil flight sims are OK for the pure love of flying. But doing campaigns and stufff is another thrill altogether. I wonder if I could find flight buddies to make this learning curve (with Falcon4) less tedious.

Happy flying!

SparrowHawk
Old 02-12-10, 05:48 PM   #57
Snake Man
Sailor man

Downloads: 91

Quote:
At some stage when I have dug deeper, I'd like to learn more about the mechanics of this flight sim.
Yeah check out PMC Editing Wiki for details.

Quote:
If I choose Veteran it will crash. If I use the brackets for MFD changes it will freez then I have to Ctrl Alt Del. Is that how it is meant to be?
Sorry I'm not familiar with OpenFalcon as it used to run like 5 FPS in my Radeon 9800 card (haven't tested with new 4850 card).
Snake Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 03:42 PM   #58
Mud
Captain

Downloads: 50

I installed FF 5.3 today after not playing Falcon for 8 years or so lol.
Man I forgot how complex this sim was, I have a struggle to get in to it again.
It looks amazing though, it's a complete overhaul from the original title, ok not state of the art in modern game standards but still .....
Well off to the training missions

Mud
Old 02-13-10, 11:18 PM   #59
Castout
Silent Hunter

I've uninstalled the game ever since I moved on to Vista and updated my GPU driver, the crashes were appalling in Free Falcon while stutters happen in Open Falcon. Too bad they are both are terrific games!
Old 02-14-10, 04:05 PM   #60
Mud
Captain

Downloads: 50

I might as well give up on this, I was confident enough to start a campaign but I get 1 ctd after the other and I'm running WinXP.
I was looking forward to sink my teeth in this but I've done all the tips and tricks I could find but nothing is helping.

Mud