SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-18, 09:42 AM   #1
Sigfan86
Swabbie

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0
Default Shkval torpedo

The Va-111 shkval torpedo
Any hope of this scary little bugger making it into the game?

Loved using this in sub command many years ago and just started getting back into sub games.

Last edited by Sigfan86; 08-30-18 at 01:34 PM.
Sigfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-18, 10:49 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Sigfan86!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-18, 01:34 PM   #3
Sigfan86
Swabbie

Downloads: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Sigfan86!
Pleasure to be aboard
Sigfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-18, 03:19 AM   #4
Travis Reed
Planesman

Downloads: 104

In theory one could create a torpedo with similar characteristics. However, I'm not certain how easily new models could be added.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to take an existing Russian torp, copy it, and modify the copy to give it similar parameters, give it audio similar to other rockets, etc. IIRC the rocket torp has a different kind of fuse to other torps and it's unlikely that could be modeled via modding.
Old 10-04-18, 08:21 PM   #5
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5

With all the talk about the Shkval, you have to stop the scare mongering and do a little critical thinking...

It is NOT an ASW weapon.

Fine, you have a 300kt super-cavitating weapon. Good for straight shots only.

Since it is super-cavitating, it creates so much self noise that any acoustic package you place in it would be USELESS. Hence not for ASW work.

You would have to have a Very, Very precise target solution to use it in an ASW environment. And that solution is only in the X/Y geometry, not in Depth. It is very, very, very, (can I say it again?) very hard to determine what the specific target depth is.
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-18, 11:34 PM   #6
ScreamingElectron
Watch

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 1

I could add it into my mod. But as said above, the depth thing is important. As I understand it, Skval is proximity fuse, so it wouldn't have to be SUPER accurate.
The only downfall right now is that unless I modify the source files, I would be unable to add a propelled proximity weapon into the game. The devs need to add more flexibility in modding.

The primary limitation is that each weapon is stored in a different database by TYPE, instead of all in one database. Ergo, when the player launches a torpedo, it searches for the weapon name in only the Torpedo database (which also carries its own specific variables).
When/if the devs make it all in a single database, it will be much easier to allow the player to launch an unguided proximity mine that travels 150mph, and have surface vessels that use rocket mortars.

Until then, Cold Waters will just be a pretty game with **** content (in my opinion), just like DCS World without a dynamic campaign.