SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-19-09, 03:35 PM   #1
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Default CAP Over Task Force

I'm working on a new custom mission and I want to use airplanes as part of the ASW covering a Task Force. When I try the mission the planes I've setup around the task force are not there. Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to use planes as CAP?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 05:59 PM   #2
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I'm working on a new custom mission and I want to use airplanes as part of the ASW covering a Task Force. When I try the mission the planes I've setup around the task force are not there. Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to use planes as CAP?
How did you set it up? I would think it would be difficult to keep them together since the planes have to go so much faster just to stay in the air. But a little more info on what you did may help.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 07:16 PM   #3
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
How did you set it up? I would think it would be difficult to keep them together since the planes have to go so much faster just to stay in the air. But a little more info on what you did may help.

Peabody

After putting the planes in place where I wanted them, I linked them to the task force. Well, I see one problem already with linking the planes to the task force was reducing their airspeed down to the speed of the task force. How does one set the planes up as Combat Air Control around a Task Force?

Old 08-19-09, 08:18 PM   #4
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
After putting the planes in place where I wanted them, I linked them to the task force. Well, I see one problem already with linking the planes to the task force was reducing their airspeed down to the speed of the task force. How does one set the planes up as Combat Air Control around a Task Force?
I don't think you can without guessing and having them fly in circles, advancing the circles along the route you are taking. And planes don't attack planes anyway so they don't really do any good. About all you can do is put a carrier in the task force and that will send out planes, so if another task force is approaching, at least your planes will be attacking them. Hopefully they will attack the enemy carriers.

I tried testing several times about a year ago and had fighters fly each other almost wing tip to wing tip and they would not engage.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 08-19-09, 08:30 PM   #5
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
I don't think you can without guessing and having them fly in circles, advancing the circles along the route you are taking. And planes don't attack planes anyway so they don't really do any good. About all you can do is put a carrier in the task force and that will send out planes, so if another task force is approaching, at least your planes will be attacking them. Hopefully they will attack the enemy carriers.

I tried testing several times about a year ago and had fighters fly each other almost wing tip to wing tip and they would not engage.

Peabody

Well, the idea for the planes was to act as an extra ASW screen besides the destroyers. BTW, the center piece of the task force is a carrier. My idea was to have the planes flying over the task force and when they spotted an attacking submarine to attack the sub at periscope depth. I guess that idea won't work. Oh well, thanks for your help Peabody.

Old 08-20-09, 11:34 AM   #6
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Well, the idea for the planes was to act as an extra ASW screen besides the destroyers. BTW, the center piece of the task force is a carrier. My idea was to have the planes flying over the task force and when they spotted an attacking submarine to attack the sub at periscope depth. I guess that idea won't work. Oh well, thanks for your help Peabody.
Sorry when I posted the comment on the planes not attacking planes, I forgot you had said you wanted them for ASW. The carrier sould be 'launching' planes, it happens in stock anyway. In the mission editor you hit play it only moves the ships not the planes so it would be a problem keeping them together.

Peabody

Old 08-20-09, 01:45 PM   #7
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Sorry when I posted the comment on the planes not attacking planes, I forgot you had said you wanted them for ASW. The carrier sould be 'launching' planes, it happens in stock anyway. In the mission editor you hit play it only moves the ships not the planes so it would be a problem keeping them together.

Peabody

You know, I miss the ME from SH1. There was so much more you could do with the ME in SH1 than in SHIV. Some many options have been left out like picking a particular sub or which torpedo load you wanted or connecting planes to a task force for ASW. It's really a shame.

Old 08-20-09, 02:18 PM   #8
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
You know, I miss the ME from SH1. There was so much more you could do with the ME in SH1 than in SHIV. Some many options have been left out like picking a particular sub or which torpedo load you wanted or connecting planes to a task force for ASW. It's really a shame.
Well, it is actually worse than you think. There are some things in there that should work and don't, some things that will work with US but NOT with the uboat add on.

Peabody