Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Icon10 DUI Stories

Florida (where else?)

Florida man didn't drink while driving, only while stopped at traffic lights

Quote:
ERO BEACH, Fla. - A Florida man stopped for drunk driving denies he was actually drinking while driving, claiming he only drank while he was stopped at traffic signals and stop signs. Earle Gustavas Stevens of Vero Beach was approached on June 27 by a police officer after a woman called 911 saying he had hit her bumper numerous times while waiting in a McDonald's drive-thru lane.

The Smoking Gun reports Stevens smelled of alcohol and was slurring his words, according to the officer.
A bottle of Jim Beam was sitting in the passengers seat next to Stevens, and he admitted he had been drinking.
But when pressed if he was drinking while driving, Stevens said no.
“He further explained that he was not drinking while the car was moving and only when he stopped for stop signs and traffic signals.” the officer wrote in the report.
Stevens was arrested and charged with drunk driving and driving without a license.
This is why it is not called drinking and driving, but driving under the influence. Nice try, but not as innovative as another Floridian

Florida DUI suspect claims dog was driving car, not him

Quote:

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - A Florida man has raised the bar when it comes to the old "the dog ate my homework" excuse.
Scott Garrett was pulled over for driving erratically on I-95 outside Port St. Lucie last month, according to The Smoking Gun.

When officers detected the smell of alcohol coming from the car, Garrett claimed he wasn't driving the car, his dog was.

However, the excuse didn't fool anyone as his "red, very glassy, and blood shot eyes" and the bottle of alcohol in the passenger's seat pretty gave him away.

Oh, and there was no actual dog in the car.

Garrett asked officers for a ride home. Instead, they gave him a ride to jail where he was charged with drunk driving.
If you are going to try the ol' "the dog was driving" defense, you might want to have a dog in the car. Might help the story.

I would say that there must be something in the water, but evidently these citizens did not spend a lot of time drinking water.
Old 07-11-18, 05:15 PM   #2
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
If you are going to try the ol' "the dog was driving" defense, you might want to have a dog in the car. Might help the story.

I would say that there must be something in the water, but evidently these citizens did not spend a lot of time drinking water.
Old 07-11-18, 10:10 PM   #3
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Its not the water., it's Florida. What can go wrong?

https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/22/us/fl...eat/index.html

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 03:00 AM   #4
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^^

@Rockstar Well when they allow guns in bars, where's the difference?
I guess a shooting range is even better controlled, than a public drinking place?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 07-12-18 at 07:35 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 05:43 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Much clearer in the UK, driving or not, if you're in charge of said vehicle....that's good enough.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 07:32 AM   #6
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I had a friend when we were both in college who was big into parties. He was pretty responsible though. One evening, he was at a party. Deciding to be responsible, my friend rode a bicycle home and left his car at the party. On the way home, a police officer pulled him over and after determining that he had been drinking, charged him with DUI. He told me the punishment was just as bad as if he had been driving a car.

Another individual from a neighboring community decided to drive his garden tractor to the store 2 miles away to get a pack of cigarettes. He was also very intoxicated and was also stopped and arrested. He also faced stiff penalties for being charged with a DUI.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 04:22 PM   #7
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

He should have just ridden a horse.

Or maybe not

DUI on a horse: Florida woman arrested after riding on busy road

Quote:
A Polk County woman was arrested Thursday afternoon on a charge of drunk driving on a horse named Boduke.

Donna Byrne, 53, smelled of alcohol, staggered and had red, watery eyes when deputies pulled her over on the busy road, Polk County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Brian Bruchey said.

A passer-by had called about a woman who appeared confused and was riding a horse on Combee Road near North Crystal Lake Road in Lakeland about 1:40 p.m., he said.

Byrne’s breath-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit, Bruchey said. She was arrested on charges of driving under the influence and animal neglect, a misdemeanor.

Boduke was hitched to a deputy’s patrol car and ate grass until being taken to the Polk County Sheriff’s Animal Control livestock facility.

The Polk County Sheriff’s Office said it takes the situation seriously.
“Ms. Byrne was obviously not in any condition to be on the road. She not only put herself and the horse in danger, but also anyone who was driving on the road, which is typically very busy,” Sheriff Grady Judd said.

She has previously been arrested on five felony and 10 misdemeanor charges, including cruelty to animals and drug possession, Bruchey said.
Boduke will most likely be returned to Byrne, he said. However, the sheriff could fight to keep her from getting Boduke back.

Judd is embroiled in a court battle to prevent another owner charged with animal cruelty from getting their animals back, Bruchey said.

BTW, that's a photograph of the lady, not the horse.
Old 07-12-18, 06:14 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Back in the early 1980s, when I was driving skiers from Salt Lake Airport to the nearby resorts, I picked up a group from the last flight in, which was around midnight. After I dropped them off in Park City I stopped at the local 7-11. The parking lot was full so I had to park on the street, which at that time was fairly fast and fairly empty, especially at One in the morning. I was inside eating a burrito and drinking a Doctor Pepper (of course), and talking to the clerk when a guy walked in and asked "Is that your van?"

When I asked "Which van?" he replied "The one that just got hit."

I went outside to find a small white car with its hood (bonnet for our British friends) buried under the back of my van, all the way up to the windshield. A girl who looked to be barely drinking age came up to me crying and kept saying "I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

When a cop showed up he saw my uniform shirt, so he figured the van was mine and talked to the girl first. I have no idea what the outcome of that conversation was, but after awhile he came over to me and in a deep, hard "official" voice said "I need to ask you a couple of questions. First, were you wearing your seat belt at the time of the accident?"

Putting on what I imagined to be my best Arlo Guthrie voice I replied "In all honesty, officer, I'm going to have to answer that in the negative."

"You weren't?" he asked. "Why not?"

"Because I wasn't in the van when the accident happened."

He gave me a strange look and his voice got even more official as he asked "Where were you?"

"I was inside the 7-11."

His voice jumped two octaves and cracked when he said "WHAT?!"

I said "That's right officer. It seems this poor girl managed to park her car underneath my van with no help from me at all."

He snapped his book shut and his voice got all official again as he sternly said "Well then, I guess I don't need to ask you any more questions!"

And that was my only encounter ever with a drunk driver.
Old 07-13-18, 06:18 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
He should have just ridden a horse.

Or maybe not
A similar experience: Two of us in a patrol car received a radio message to attend an area in the city of Newcastle after reports of someone riding a horse in an erratic manner on a main road.

Sure enough, upon arrival there was the guy riding a horse in the middle of the road, holding up traffic. His breath smelled of intoxicating liquor and his speech was slightly slurred so I put him in the back of the patrol car and my partner said he felt stupid holding onto the reigns of a horse on a public street and having experience at horse riding he decided to mount the animal and ride it the mile or so to the station.

Boy was he in trouble when the shift inspector found out.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-18, 08:08 PM   #10
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

While on the fire department, one evening, we made and emergency medical run. A bicycle hit by a car. We got there, sure enough, there was a mangled bicycle with an injured rider. We asked about the car. There wasn't one. It was two bikes that wrecked into each other at an intersection. Both riders were drunk.
Old 07-13-18, 09:11 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2412132&postcount=788
Quote:
That is the first rule of defensive driving and nothing in 42 years of getting paid for being behind the wheel has altered my conclusion. Including last night while out on a work call! While returning home late, a vehicle driving erratically in excess of 70 mph in the dark was showering huge sparks for a hundred feet and wobbling badly. As I attempted to pass I noted a young lady with no front left tyre-just the bare rim causing the spark shower! oddly a '05 Corolla exactly like mine- with front wheel drive! I turned on the interior dome-lite- got her attention and motioned her to the shoulder of a busy highway, pulled in behind, and called 911. She was quite upset, crying and incoherent-out of all proportion to a routine flat tyre problem IMHO. After nearly an hour detainment-making sure she did not exit her vehicle on a hazardous roadside, the CHP arrived. Two young officers: they field tested, breathalysed and handcuffed the young lass. The DUI will seem a light case and the lesser of two evils: she would have killed herself or others within a few more miles at that speed on a badly disintegrated rim. The roadway in that area, until a recent just completed and costly renovation, was called Blood Alley.

Quote:
Well the wheels of justice took their time but the young lady finally got her day in court today(13 months later) before a jury of her peers! Both the defense and prosecution subpoenaed me for the prelim and the 2-day trial and I got to hear the recording of my call to 911 ( Squeaky me: I should join the Vienna boy's choir) from over a year ago. Basically I prevented both a major canyon fire (bone dry windy conditions with all fire signs in the RED) and a head-on collision from a missing LEFT front tire on a rapidly disintegrating left front rim. The chase at 70+ mph was over 4 miles! I still don't know the verdict, as I left immediately after testifying. As the only witness and essentially the 'detaining officer', the judge, both attorney's thanked me; as did the CHP officer "for a great night" and, surprisingly, also the mother and the young lady on trial-apparently she is an only daughter....
EDIT: AFTER THREE MONTHS' INTERVAL, I CALLED THE DEFENSE INVESTIGATOR: THE YOUNG LASS HAD BEEN CONVICTED ON TWO COUNTS REALATED TO DUI ISSUES. __________________

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-18, 07:25 AM   #12
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

^ Hopefully it ended well for the lass as perhaps she learned a great lesson in not driving as she did. The lass did something stupid but that can usually be corrected.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-18, 01:29 PM   #13
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

I used to work with an Amish guy. He would regale us with stories from his community. He was once told us he was pulled over for speeding, in a buggy. That led to the can you get a DUI charge? He told us about a guy who was drunk enough that he passed out while 'driving' home. The horse knew where home was, and continued on without incident. Until it ran right through a stop sign, in front of a cop. The cop started to follow the buggy. Shortly there after, the horse got hungry and stopped along the side of the road to eat some bushes. That's when the cop got out to investigate.

One night, back when I was a medic, we were called to a scene to check out a couple guys who had been involved in a wreck. The trooper had them in cuffs sitting in the back of his car. He informed us that they were both drunk and were both being charged with DUI.

We asked how they both could be charged with DUI, and he said he had been following the car for a short while, when it ran off the road, into a ditch, and back out again. At this point the passenger hopped out, pulled the driver into the passenger seat, ran around the car, hopped in, and drove off, just as the cop was walking up to the car. Cop hopped back in his car and gave chase, which the car quickly pulled over, they never even saw the cop. The were both drunk off their ass, and since both had been driving, they were both getting charged.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-18, 04:59 PM   #14
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Friend and I left a bar probably around 12, we'd only had a few beers, but smoked a joint or two as the night passed. When I pulled out of the club lot, I got my nose a lil far into the road and it was either back up for the car coming or gun it and go. I decided to gun it. The car coming was the Highway Patrol. I went up the side road, crossed the bridge over the highway and got on the highway. My friend looking back said he saw the patrolman crossing the bridge, so I sped up and took an exit heading to another town and got way ahead. We saw headlights like a few miles back coming fast. He had a big bag of pot and we argued a few seconds and he finally tossed it out the window. Seem like only a few seconds and the patrolman was on my tail. He followed me a few miles and I was careful not to make a mistake and he finally took an exit and went back the other way. We drove a few miles to the next exit and instead of going another way, headed back down the highway. My friend wanted to go see if we could come back around and find his bag of pot he threw out the window. We got a few miles and ..ug, passed the same patrolman now sitting on the side of the road. He followed again and I was careful again, but this time blue lights and pulled over. I did get arrested, but didn't blow the limit then at the station.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 02:40 AM   #15
Akinsu81
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Uh! That is still the same, right? It is called drunk driving only. It can be dangerous for people around him. I hope he picked up a good DUI lawyer to get him out because this isn’t a reason. You cannot stop at lights, drink and deny the fact that you were drunk driving.
Akinsu81 is offline   Reply With Quote