Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 06-10-11, 01:33 PM   #46
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

In Soviet Russia, aircraft trims you!

Sorry...

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 02:21 PM   #47
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
In Soviet Russia, aircraft trims you!

Sorry...
Old 06-10-11, 05:41 PM   #48
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So then I iuse trim to keep me from bouncing around like a cork in the atlanticf ocean during a hurricane when I want to hit something??
Old 06-10-11, 06:29 PM   #49
Kpt. Schaker
Seaman

Downloads: 145
Uploads: 2

One important question are u flying with a joystick like a Logitech, Saitek or Hotas! Keyboard & Mouse! I'm assuming u have a joystick because u can take off. I'm hard headed so the only adjusting I did was turn off the advanced engine management, which controls got to be set for each aircraft. And, I numbed down the yaw setting a little to the setting I posted. Everything else is flicked ON for REALISM! Also each aircraft has it's ASSETS and DEFECTS. You got to get FEELl of how much u can push your aircraft before going into a TAILSPIN. I hope I don't sound a like a "know it all".
Even now I still get LOCK-JAW when coming in for a landing!
Kpt. Schaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 02:09 AM   #50
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Nicaraguan View Post
One important question are u flying with a joystick like a Logitech, Saitek or Hotas! Keyboard & Mouse! I'm assuming u have a joystick because u can take off. I'm hard headed so the only adjusting I did was turn off the advanced engine management, which controls got to be set for each aircraft. And, I numbed down the yaw setting a little to the setting I posted. Everything else is flicked ON for REALISM! Also each aircraft has it's ASSETS and DEFECTS. You got to get FEELl of how much u can push your aircraft before going into a TAILSPIN. I hope I don't sound a like a "know it all".
Even now I still get LOCK-JAW when coming in for a landing!
Yes I have a Saitek St-290 Pro. And I actually kind of find landing easier than I thought it would be, I mean alot of times I do crash, but I do make it in fine some times (aabout 25%) maybe this has something to do with flying in FSX for a while and doing landings in much heavier Boeing 747s and airbus's, I let the autopilot take over for a landing one day, bad idea, it crashed about 30 yards before the run way
Old 06-11-11, 03:10 AM   #51
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
So then I iuse trim to keep me from bouncing around like a cork in the atlanticf ocean during a hurricane when I want to hit something??
Nope, as already said, the trim is just to help you to keep a certain flight "attitude". I only use it for cruising, you might want to use it to assist landing in some aircraft as well. It is just meant for that you don't have to give constant control input for staying in a certain flight "attitude" (I don't know whether that's the right English word). May I ask what aircraft you are flying currently? There are some that are not suitable for beginners as their controls are very sensitive (like the P51, I-16 etc.). Try to fly with a heavy plane at first. An Il-2 is ideal for practising but you can also go for SBD-2 Dauntless or a P-47 if you prefer American aircraft.
If you have a mission4today account (you can register for free) I recommend this "campaign" for you:http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...etails&id=2147

Quote:
I'm hard headed so the only adjusting I did was turn off the advanced engine management, which controls got to be set for each aircraft.
I'm not sure I understand that correctly. You don't have to set up controls for each aircraft individually. once you have mapped all the keys you can use them for all aircraft.
Besides you really don't have to do much engine management in the game anyway. Just switch to a higher blower stage when you get above 3.000m and set your prop pitch at 60% for cruise or 100% for take off/combat (switching the pitch isn't even mandatory in this game).
German fighters will do everything automatically for you by BTW.
Old 06-11-11, 01:39 PM   #52
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Nope, as already said, the trim is just to help you to keep a certain flight "attitude". I only use it for cruising, you might want to use it to assist landing in some aircraft as well. It is just meant for that you don't have to give constant control input for staying in a certain flight "attitude" (I don't know whether that's the right English word). May I ask what aircraft you are flying currently? There are some that are not suitable for beginners as their controls are very sensitive (like the P51, I-16 etc.). Try to fly with a heavy plane at first. An Il-2 is ideal for practising but you can also go for SBD-2 Dauntless or a P-47 if you prefer American aircraft.
If you have a mission4today account (you can register for free) I recommend this "campaign" for you:http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...etails&id=2147
Well I am currently in a campaign flying a hurricane, I was flying a P-40 in missions but I figured why not start a campaign and went for the RAF. Bad choice on the plane?
Old 06-11-11, 02:12 PM   #53
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Well I am currently in a campaign flying a hurricane, I was flying a P-40 in missions but I figured why not start a campaign and went for the RAF. Bad choice on the plane?
No, the hurri is a pretty good one in the sense of being sturdy and stable, but be realistic about its performance as a fighter. It'll get shredded by 109s if you go toe to toe with them, so be careful about getting into dogfights as such in the first place, if you don't have advantage. Else stick to attacking bombers.

As I seem to recall, it's only got a trimmable elevator (and rudder? it's been a while so I don't remember for sure). But I haven't had much trouble flying it - it's a good plane with steady controls.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 03:54 PM   #54
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
No, the hurri is a pretty good one in the sense of being sturdy and stable, but be realistic about its performance as a fighter. It'll get shredded by 109s if you go toe to toe with them, so be careful about getting into dogfights as such in the first place, if you don't have advantage. Else stick to attacking bombers.

As I seem to recall, it's only got a trimmable elevator (and rudder? it's been a while so I don't remember for sure). But I haven't had much trouble flying it - it's a good plane with steady controls.
No aileron trim, and so far I've taken out bombers, but it feels way underpowered, I mean it has six barrels and it took me forever to take down some bettys, and I peppered them for a good 20 30 (possible exaggeration) seconds sometimes from behind and saw the flashes from hits and I only got 2 or 3 bombers in the whole mission (I retried it about 5 times but ended up getting to greedy each time and crashing (One I clipped the bombers wing and my wing off with 4 kills already ) so I settled for 2 kills and was happy. As far as fighters, Im in the east and it seems that I can manuever against some some of the japanese planes fine without major problems

And now I have 2 questions, what should I know for dog fighting?

also I am a low rank in my career, so I fly and cover my wingman, he doesn't follow me, so I need to know when we get into a fight (Say attaacking bombers) do I still need to follow him? Or should I break and attack wahtever I can?

And I noticed there is a request homebase for assistance option, does it work? I've pushed it a few times before and nothing.

Plus when Im attacking planes from advantage (Im assuming this means above and out of the blue before they know your there) where should I be aiming? Engine? or trying to hit the pilot? Or clip his wings off (i've done this before) Sorry for all the questions, Im just trying to learn this all aas fast as possible.
Old 06-11-11, 04:08 PM   #55
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Plus when Im attacking planes from advantage (Im assuming this means above and out of the blue before they know your there) where should I be aiming? Engine? or trying to hit the pilot? Or clip his wings off (i've done this before) Sorry for all the questions, Im just trying to learn this all aas fast as possible.
"Speed is life" - Unknown Pilot

In WWII fighters, altitude + speed meant you'd dictate how the battle wen't and you could lure the enemy to the point where you wanted him to be.

Pretty much all fighters can do Boom n' Zoom, which is a maneuver where you attack the enemy from altitude advantage, make your pass, and then shoot up back to the skies, using the energy you gathered during the dive to get you back up for that altitude advantage.

Sadly, IL2's AI can spot you at times, no matter what you do.

As for aiming, aim for engines. From 6o'clock on bomber = wing engines, fighter = wait for it to bank/roll and pepper the front of fuselage for engine/pilot kill.

And this is what I would do.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 04:49 PM   #56
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Quote:
I mean it has six barrels and it took me forever to take down some bettys, and I peppered them for a good 20 30 (possible exaggeration) seconds sometimes from behind and saw the flashes from hits and I only got 2 or 3 bombers in the whole mission...
Actually if it's a Hurricane MKII it should have 12 MGs (IIRC). But the calibre is just .303 rifle ammo. That doesn't have much of a punch and will even bounce off armoured plane without doing any damage. There is a reason why the Brits shifted to cannons and heavy MGs later. Actually in real life a pilot would have been glad to down 2 enemy planes per mission. In fact they often didn't down anything at all throughout their entire career.
Old 06-11-11, 10:22 PM   #57
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Actually if it's a Hurricane MKII it should have 12 MGs (IIRC). But the calibre is just .303 rifle ammo. That doesn't have much of a punch and will even bounce off armoured plane without doing any damage. There is a reason why the Brits shifted to cannons and heavy MGs later. Actually in real life a pilot would have been glad to down 2 enemy planes per mission. In fact they often didn't down anything at all throughout their entire career.
Yeah... isn't five kills the baseline to be considered an "Ace Pilot" ?? And as far as the mg's now it makes sense!! What caliber do the spitfires use?? Im quite curious. I'd also like to know if you do a career if you start out with a hurricane and can eventually move up to a spitfire or other British (Sense Im doing a British career) planes?
Old 06-11-11, 10:28 PM   #58
Schwieger
Commodore

Of course, the Luftwaffe should change their guidelines, lol

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 03:13 AM   #59
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So I just had a pretty neat moment while flying a mission, I was getting tired of getting no kills so on an intercept mission I broke from my wingman to dive in on a A6m below me flying level and smoking, hit him with a few then pulled down on the stick (to turn upside down and then roll to level out behind him) and started to red out, fearing hitting the ground I hit auto pilot letting that take me out of the dive (I have trouble pulling out of dives without my plane vilontley losing airspeed and spinning like a freaking top... I m not a good flyer and have no clue what this is so if someone could enlighten me go ahead) it managed too but then I noticed my engine cut out, so I switched of AP and had a frantic few seconds or so of trying to start the engine back up and I thought I was a goner for sure when I saw the prop start turning and kick back to life and saved myself about 100m or so from the ground Progressing life saving skills I'd say, I ended the mission with one kill (Took a bombers wing off completely and watched it spiral into the trees) and landed fine except for i skipped and then nosed right into the dirt
Old 06-12-11, 05:40 AM   #60
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Ok. here we go:
First off all, you don't have to stay with your flight leader. You might hear some angry (stupid) radio calls, but it doesn't have any consequences in the game, so feel free to engage the enemy.

It seems your flying a Hurricane MK I. They don't like negative G-forces as their carburettor can't supply fuel to the engine that way (that was remedied in later versions, the Spitfire was suffering from the same problem as well btw).
What you experience when you pull the stick too hard is called a stall which can subsequently lead to a spin. A stall means that your angle of attack is too great (the angle of attack is the angle in which your wing hits the surrounding air). If it becomes too great the airflow over the wing will rip off and the wing will stall and loose it's lift. If this happens only on one wing (which happens quite often in propeller driven aircraft) then one wing still produces lift while the other doesn't. That leads to the spin. You can recover from that by centring your stick and give full counter rudder. Once the aircraft responds again pull her out of the dive GENTLY.