SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-18, 09:13 AM   #376
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I'll have it fixed in a couple minutes. It's the demise of Photobucket that did the trick. They want you to pay big bucks for linking to a graphic. Sucks to be them but I have to make occasional changes.

I'll be linking to my Imgbb page. That's been a great service, but I'd link here at Subsim if I were to do it again.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 09:20 AM   #377
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Okay, more victims of Photobucket's demise spotted. Thanks!

https://image.ibb.co/eN1WU5/OKanemethodanimation.gif
https://image.ibb.co/fsu8ua/Vector_A...stargeting.png
https://image.ibb.co/f2Y1Ea/Size_of_...ps326lw7y5.png
https://image.ibb.co/eTRGfF/Lineardistanceof1degree.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/fNb4Za/John_PCromwelltargeting.png
https://image.ibb.co/i8G4Za/Dick_OKanetargeting.png
https://image.ibb.co/krSVPa/Okane_Approach.png

Here are not only those diagrams, but others you might be interested in. I'll correct the links on page 1. Done!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 04-30-18 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 06:39 AM   #378
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default O'Kane's "Clear the Bridge" is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Why in the world would I get involved in producing a shooting technique for Silent Hunter 4, name it after a famous submarine commander, Dick O'Kane, and never read his book? Well, for some reason I hadn't read Dick O'Kane's Clear the Bridge until now. Stupid!
When I first started playing SH4 many years ago I read all I could find from US Sub Commanders from WW2 and "Clear the Bridge" is my favorite! Glad to hear you enjoyed it too - O'Kane had a great career!
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-18, 05:50 PM   #379
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
When I first started playing SH4 many years ago I read all I could find from US Sub Commanders from WW2 and "Clear the Bridge" is my favorite! Glad to hear you enjoyed it too - O'Kane had a great career!
Absolutely! I'd argue the Eugene Fluckey's career was more outstanding, but Fluckey didn't have to suffer the kind hospitality of a Japanese POW camp for a significant part of the war. But tactics-wise, those two skippers taught me just about all I know.
Old 08-10-18, 04:53 PM   #380
Aoogahman
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Many thanks RR for the Airplane Avoidance with Radar Tutorial. It really helped me with that nagging problem right off the bat. Now I find myself jagging (is that a word?) around on the surface without worrying too much about losing the boat and crew to those pesky flying machines. Perfect!

I was thinking (which hurts) it might be nice if there were some way to drag the five-mile circle around with the boat, like Peanuts' Linus van Pelt's security blanket, without having to move it around manually. But then again isn't there an old saw about being careful of what you wish for? It might be better to have a dedicated key on the keyboard to toggle it on and off as needed...or not. Probably not.

At any rate, even though I know you can't have everything, and I don't want everything anyway, I've learned just enough to know that you can have your cake and eat it too, as long as you don't eat the last bite.
Old 08-20-18, 10:20 AM   #381
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. Leave the last piece of cake for the bear.

The five mile circle could be done but it would gobble up every bit of memory you have on your computer for most people. The reason the 3,000 yard (1.5 mile) bearing compass isn't used by everyone is that it's a memory hog and ruins a lot of people's playing quality. A circle of 10,000 yards would be a killer. I also find with FOTRSU that a six mile circle is safer. Detection ranges vary with the mods you use and weather/sea conditions.
Old 08-21-18, 01:45 PM   #382
Aoogahman
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Yeah, I'll just have to grin and bear it!

I follow you with the memory usage, but you lost me on "3,000 yard bearing compass". I don't have a clue as to what that is. Hmmm. Correction: Yes I do! I was watching one of your other tutorials and suddenly there you were explaining all about it. Thanks again, got it now.

But otherwise, I've been attempting to keep the weather and sea state in mind when we have aircraft approaching the 5-mile limit. If they're at the edge of the circle, where we'd normally just remain at radar depth, and the the weather's clear and the sea's nearly flat, we go ahead and dip down to periscope depth just to be sure. It's working fine so far, thanks to your tutorial

yesterday, trying to vacate Jap waters, we had so many a/c harassing us that it was easier to just pull the plug and stay submerged until nightfall. Then we made a night run out of that particular area while charging up the batteries. No problems after that.

Last edited by Aoogahman; 08-23-18 at 04:43 PM.
Aoogahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-19, 12:39 PM   #383
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Well, folks, after three years of living without a computer running Windows, I've partially gone to the dark side and dedicated a carefully quarantined and defanged hard drive to again boot Windows when I want. This means I'll be able to reload SH4 and resume producing tactics tutorials and videos.

My intent for this thread was to be unique in all of Subsim by teaching boat handling, attack tactics and how to think about the World War II submarine war. This thread should be useful for any game based on World War II submarines and not constrained by the mechanics, quirks and old man-itis of Silent Hunter 4.

I enthusiastically and unapologetically champion the philosophies of Eugene Fluckey, Admiral Lockwood and Dick O'Kane in believing that the job of a submarine is to be dangerous, not hiding when no one is looking. I believe that the number of contacts developed is proportional to the number of square miles of ocean surface searched each day, and you can't do that submerged all day. I'm a royal pain and I hope you enjoy it.
Old 06-16-19, 08:35 AM   #384
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

I agree with you, only dive when necessary. Heck, I even take pot shots at aircraft from time to time.
Old 06-20-19, 01:23 PM   #385
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
I agree with you, only dive when necessary. Heck, I even take pot shots at aircraft from time to time.
OOOOOOO, that's against my religion. I look at it this way. To shoot at the plane, you must be on the surface, so you and the plane have about even odds of survival. So your hugely expensive submarine with 70 highly trained and difficult to replace crew aboard are duking it out with 50-50 chance with a cheap and quick to produce plane with maybe two people in it.

The cost-benefit ratio is just wacko. If you win, you don't win very much at all. They'll have a new plane and crew in the air in a week. But if you lose it will take months to produce a replacement submarine and probably years to develop a new crew with the proficiency of the one you lost.

Odds are even. Would you bet a million dollars against an opponent's 1 dollar, so you're playing for a dollar and he stands to win a million? Of course not, but that's the game when you take pot shots at aircraft.
Old 06-25-19, 11:53 AM   #386
Barkhorn1x
Captain

Downloads: 59

Quote:
\I'm a royal pain and I hope you enjoy it.
Hey Rockin. Good to see you again.

Here is a link to a PDF file of 3 different attack methods that we worked on about 10 years ago.

https://mega.nz/#F!rvZ3EYhL

Last edited by Barkhorn1x; 06-25-19 at 12:37 PM.
Barkhorn1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-19, 03:49 PM   #387
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
Hey Rockin. Good to see you again.

Here is a link to a PDF file of 3 different attack methods that we worked on about 10 years ago.

https://mega.nz/#F!rvZ3EYhL
Super! It's all locked up with a super secret encryption key though.
Old 06-26-19, 11:24 AM   #388
Barkhorn1x
Captain

Quote:
Super! It's all locked up with a super secret encryption key though.
Crap! I'll work on a new link.
Old 06-26-19, 11:58 AM   #389
Barkhorn1x
Captain

Try this one.

https://mega.nz/#!ivYy2Kwa!GpCxZUpdf...oxRe9OCCRNh0WQ
Old 06-27-19, 10:24 AM   #390
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
Works perfectly and is a great addition to the thread!