Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-15, 05:32 PM   #241
Ketoujin
Swabbie

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

Salve All,

I'd very much love to see another episode of the SH franchise - whether by the last developers or a newcomer to the fold.....the only criteria for me is that they don't deliver a bug-ridden game and one that is functionally and historically accurate.

Like many here though, I think both US fleet-boats and German U-Boat action has been done and done again. As for the Second World War, a Japanese I-boat or even midget simulator would be good - I know of Keltos' campaign mod but was thinking of something stock, from the ground up, that was centered on the IJN's submersible operations. The simulation could, perhaps, have a dynamic campaign engine that would deliver more North American coastal shelling missions, attacks on capital ships, and base resupply operations, than the German/US interdiction of merchant shipping, in keeping with the basically sub-as-fleet-scout-marauder-of-warships Japanese doctrine pertaining to submarine use.

An expansion which allowed you to captain a Dutch submarine in either the ETO or early stages of PTO would also be great.

Cold War-period simulations (from either side and with a full selection of NATO submarine commands to choose from - UK, US, Norway, The Netherlands, Italy, Turkey, France, West Germany, et al.) would be good also or Soviet subs in the Great Patriotic War. Aware that I'm thinking fairly ambitiously but simply just a few suggestions of what I, and likely some others, would like to see in upcoming games.

Best,

Gunnar
Ketoujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-15, 07:07 PM   #242
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Ketoujin!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-15, 01:04 AM   #243
Ketoujin
Swabbie

Downloads: 42

Hello Acktungbby and Everyone,

I've lingered or lurked on these pages awhile and I thought it was only right to join. Thanks a bunch for the nice salutation!

Best,

Gunnar
Ketoujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 05:16 AM   #244
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Ketoujin

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-16, 10:40 PM   #245
jayv2251
Swabbie

Downloads: 4

I know this is a really old thread. But I just felt I had to add my 2 cents to the discussion. While I didn't read every comment on the now 17 page long thread, I did see one major theme. And that's having a game that isn't all buggy! I remember SH1, and how buggy that was, ships that would sail right onto land. Doing a real time stalk on a tanker convoy only to suddenly have the ships be sticking up and down.

If anyone from UBI is possibly lurking here. This would be my suggestion. Make solid core game that would include both Atlantic and Pacific campaigns for American, English, German, Japanese...ect sub fleets. Then UBI or any other developer could then offer add-ons for WW1, Cold War, Modern Day. Combined with a flexible, user friendly editor for moding I think would work the best.

So there's my 2 cents worth, if anyone cares. Silly me, last time I programmed anything it took me 2 weeks to make a commodore 64 do twinkle twinkle little star.
jayv2251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-16, 02:20 AM   #246
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

But jokes aside, yes I think every single member of Subsim would like to
see a SH6, but only if it mixed all the great features of SH3, all the magical
graphics of 2016, all the features released by mods throughout these 10 years
and none of the bugs.

But there is hope... not exactly from Ubisoft, but from this:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226836

Why don't you donate what you'd spend on SH6 and help us make this happen?

Based on my experience, there's enough will and modpower here at Subsim
to make SH5 better than Ubisoft could possibly make SH6 (or any other big
developer company for that matter), if we manage to get that tool.
Old 10-01-16, 09:23 PM   #247
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

I've donated $50 to the tool, but let's face it, the SH5 engine is already over-taxed. If you try to play TWOS at anything over 256 TC you are almost guaranteed a CTD. Even as low as 128 I get them.

We really need a new engine that is capable of high TC for transit but is able to drop out of TC when an event triggers it without making the software crap itself.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 12:23 AM   #248
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
I've donated $50 to the tool, but let's face it, the SH5 engine is already over-taxed. If you try to play TWOS at anything over 256 TC you are almost guaranteed a CTD. Even as low as 128 I get them.

We really need a new engine that is capable of high TC for transit but is able to drop out of TC when an event triggers it without making the software crap itself.

Steve
That's pretty sad to hear.
Personally, I cannot play with anything less than 1024
Specially when travelling from point A to B when I know there's
nothing interesting in between and no danger of aircraft
or when returning home.

SH3 is damn stable even with 8192x contantly.
Old 10-02-16, 01:24 AM   #249
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

I have run at 128 with one crash with TWoS, and it was my fault. I am currently in the Happy Times campaign. I have only gone as high as 128 because that is my playing style.

P.S. This is my 8th patrol with just the one crash that was my fault for not saving and reloading while starting across the Biskay Shelf towards Lorient. The previous save loaded right up, and I have had no problems since. I find TWoS to be much more stable than SH3/GWX is. Also no corrupted save problems.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 11:11 PM   #250
agathosdaimon
Planesman

Downloads: 142

i would be happy to see another SH6 - who wouldnt, and more strategy/wargame and less rpg would be good, but if there is going to 3d interiors and npcs i would love to see a crew that go about doing things - i guess thats just cosmetic but still adds to the atmosphere which i do like as much as anything else.

this being said, if the graphics are to be put aside, what would there be left to do for a sh set in the atlantic or pacific that has not yet been done and which a new iteration could feasibly do?
agathosdaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 03:24 PM   #251
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I have written about it before in other related thread

I'm dreaming of wining the big jackpot and the day I should be so lucky, I would take contact to game developer like Ubisoft. I would sit together with the top leaders and those who have huge knowledge in creating games.

I would then explain to them what my idea is- Going to use some of my friends here throughout the development, just so the game is almost perfect when it's finished

Then I would give it free to my subsim friend or to Neal as a gift bonus to those who contribute.

Nothing but a dream.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-16, 05:01 PM   #252
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

^ I hope your dream will come true and you one day will have enough money to pursue this dream, however....

This is not my dream of a futuristic sub-based game

First a little prolog around the sub games there have been developed until now-

Most of them have been based on WWII and in the Atlantic and some around the Pacific.

I wish to create a sub-based game where the player can choose

Time: from the time where the very first sub was invented, to the most modern sub there is today
Country: from the fist time a country used a sub for the fist time in a war
Area of playing:
Here the player choose time period-WWII-Japan and a sub from Japan. Thereafter he or she choose area of operation. The game will give the player a first choice-in this case, the Pacific, the play can though choose another area.

Or the player choose-WWI, England and some of the English sub that was available in that time period

So there you have my dream.

I'm even thinking of making a cheat mode, where the player can put a modern sub in WWII or similar or use and old VII sub in a modern warfare.

Edit:

I forgot something important

When the player has made his or her choice of time, country and sub, the player can then choose some historical mission and some not so historical correct(but still in this period of time)mission or the player can choose a campaign. * or a mission of own creation

* I'm also thinking of making a "Mission Editor"
End of Editing
Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 10-08-16 at 05:54 PM.
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-16, 08:16 AM   #253
Jmack
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 23

SHIII is in fact the best subsim i ever played, in terms of imersion is better than any of the ones that followed.

But ... we need SHVI ... first world war scenario, or a better and realistic version of SHIII in the same WWII scenario. VR should be added for imersion. In fact VR would be awsome for this kind of simulator.
Old 01-24-17, 04:58 PM   #254
Chakal
Nub

Downloads: 26

Do we realy need a SH6...

Good question!

Answer: Defenetly.

ANd it can be exactly like SH3 (the king of seas) with better graphics of course and with a little new things...

Did you ever thought guys of a Silent Hunter tittle that works with the HTC Vive VR kit.

I mean Silent Hunter and the VR gears of HTC Vive could be a perfect fit.

HTC Vive offers a virtual reality experience with room scale recognition... wich mean walking in front of sensor that locates you in a limited area of your place and reproduce the action in game...

Not very usefull for a open island for a 3d shooters, but for the small living area of a WWII Sub its perfect.

Imagine having to make the move and motions to lift up and down and turn the periscope...

"Physicly" manipulate hand wheels of all kind to avoid a flood... I mean reparing a pump or reloading a torpido can be kind off a mini game in a VR environnment...

I just hope that one day, a game programmer will connect the dots and see the real potential in combining Sub Simualation and Virtual Reality as the HTC Vive offer.
Chakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 06:39 PM   #255
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Chakal! After a decade long silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote