SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-01-06, 11:19 AM   #16
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Oh well, I gave the tracking ship a attached trigger (approach), radius 14 nm. That ship is going sa little faster then the other ship, so in time the trigger fired, and a added soundfile (ping) is sounding.
There is a script causing the first ship to reverse course (set course....).
Nothing special but ok to go on from there.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 12:31 PM   #17
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

You could fake a sub ping. Get a .wav of a ping, and use the 'enter solution' script for both the pinger and the pingie (so they know where each other is) then you can run a trigger that will cause whatever you want after the script runs.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 01:45 PM   #18
SquidB
Engineer

Downloads: 167

Thanks guys for all the suggestions

I think that i havent been clear as to what i want to acheive so here goes.

The player controled sub pings the ai sub. the ai subs tactic was set to track, but what i want it to do is swicth to avoid/get the hell out of there.

I dont need the AI sub to ping at all, just turn around and run away from the pinging player sub.

Thanks for bearing with me.
SquidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 03:24 PM   #19
Fish
Eternal Patrol

I thought that must be a piece of cake. Made a auto trigger, own ship detect 688(I) (AI) with any, then run script, Set course (AI) to 300 (it comes from there in the map) for duration of .........
Now, what do you think?

Nothing happened, even with the AI sub set to avoid mine.

PS: I pinged the sub, and marked here on NB.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 05:14 PM   #20
HydroShok
Watch

I know this happens with sonobuoys but i dont know about sub active sonar.

AI subs will do an about face if they get pinged by a Dicass. By default, with no extra work needed. Depends on tatic, i guess it works with everything except transit. They turn away them from way outside the 6nm range of a buoy. If it stops pinging they carry on with whatever they were doing before.
Old 02-01-06, 08:51 PM   #21
OKO
Commander

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidB
Thanks guys for all the suggestions

I think that i havent been clear as to what i want to acheive so here goes.

The player controled sub pings the ai sub. the ai subs tactic was set to track, but what i want it to do is swicth to avoid/get the hell out of there.
as I told you sooner in this thread => why going from track to avoid ? (track is to force an AI to follow an ALREADY DETECTED other platform)
There is no need at all to do that.

Why ?
simply because as long as your human sub is NOT detected, even if the AI sub is in avoid, he won't avoid it !

Just a logical process => put the AI in AVOID and NOT track from the mission start.
your sub will avoid ONLY, of course, WHEN he will detect the sub to avoid, and of course NOT before, simply because he doesn't know the other sub is around ... until he knows ... then, ONLY, start to avoid.
You get it ?

in this process, you don't need at all to change the target mode, it's the same from the mission start => avoid.
And this is the only thing to do to make it work.

This doesn't prevent you to use script to make the AI sub attacking other platforms, even if the AI sub is in avoid target mode on the 688i.

So all this thread to tell you : just do one thing => target mode " avoid" 688i
that's all, and it will works as you want.
OKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 06:43 AM   #22
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKO
as I told you sooner in this thread => why going from track to avoid ? (track is to force an AI to follow an ALREADY DETECTED other platform)
There is no need at all to do that.
I thought the point was to have said AI platform detect and follow the human player first - THEN the ping and avoidance.

(What keeps a player from starting the mission with a ping, btw?)

I think however that this is one of the many limitations we do face in the mission editor. The best we can do is use a script to assign it a course which will, in theory, lead it away from the player sub.

I believe the only way to achieve this is to modify the doctrine files - but that's not something I recommend. (It would be anidea to allow us to include a custom doctrine file for some platforms in a mission, overriding the default doctrine. However, then improvements in the 'base' script would not apply to that platform in that mission.)

Teaching DW newbies how to climb the food chain.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote