SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-15, 04:38 PM   #1
Metalogic
Loader

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Stock SH3 with better graphics?

Hi - I've only just started playing SH3 and think it may be best for me to play it "stock" initially (maybe with the unofficial 1.6 patch), some sort of hi-res mod (I can run at 1080p, but don't want a distorted UI, if possible), and ideally other improved graphics (only, not gameplay).

Which hi-res mod and graphics improvements would work well with the stock version without changing gameplay? I have loads of RAM and a good GPU (Nvidia 970M), so should be able to run some graphics mods without things slowing down.

When Living Silent Hunter v6 comes out, I may move to that, but would like a more vanilla experience first, only with better graphics! :-)
Metalogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 04:46 PM   #2
jakjack
Seaman

Downloads: 297

Try Ahnenerbe's Wide GUI 1920 x 1080
Works with vanilla SH3, I believe. If there are distortions that bother you, (I don't use it so I wouldn't know of any), I'm not sure of a fix, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist.
In the land of submarines

jakjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 04:20 PM   #3
Metalogic
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakjack View Post
Try Ahnenerbe's Wide GUI 1920 x 1080
Works with vanilla SH3, I believe. If there are distortions that bother you, (I don't use it so I wouldn't know of any), I'm not sure of a fix, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

How does this differ from SH3_XPSP2_Res_Fix_for_1.4b?
Old 03-03-15, 04:52 PM   #4
RushTheBus
Engineer

Downloads: 211

What jackjack linked is a full re-design of the HUD using refreances that were high definition. Injecting those dlls and cfg (and then editing the cfg for w/e resolution you desire) simply stretches the 1024x768 native game resolution across w/e native resolution you are running.

I'm in a similar boat. I have a 2560x1440 IPS panel and using the dll method made everything look like utter garbage. I think the best compromise you're going to see is what jackjack linked.
RushTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 04:58 PM   #5
Metalogic
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushTheBus View Post
What jackjack linked is a full re-design of the HUD using refreances that were high definition. Injecting those dlls and cfg (and then editing the cfg for w/e resolution you desire) simply stretches the 1024x768 native game resolution across w/e native resolution you are running.

I'm in a similar boat. I have a 2560x1440 IPS panel and using the dll method made everything look like utter garbage. I think the best compromise you're going to see is what jackjack linked.
Okay, thanks, I'll give it a go!
Old 03-03-15, 08:25 PM   #6
pedalboat
A-ganger

Downloads: 130

I've just uploaded this so that you can have better graphics and other goodies in stock silent hunter III. It works for me, but who knows...

http://www.4shared.com/rar/lsyJpOYYb...SH3better.html

Have a nice day!
pedalboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 08:39 PM   #7
RushTheBus
Engineer

Downloads: 211

Out of curiosity, what is it?
RushTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 03:22 AM   #8
Metalogic
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalboat View Post
I've just uploaded this so that you can have better graphics and other goodies in stock silent hunter III. It works for me, but who knows...

Have a nice day!
Thanks, though it doesn't seem to be possible to download this without giving 4shared details of one of my social media accounts, which I don't want to do...
Old 03-04-15, 03:54 AM   #9
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushTheBus View Post
Out of curiosity, what is it?
I downloaded it and very quickly browsed the files.
I think it's a custom "mod soup" centered around graphics enhacements and add-ons on many visual aspect of the game (crew uniforms, officers icons portrait, UI background screen, environment, terrain, maybe ships and plane models and the like...) ready to be installed above stock SH3.
It would be nice if, in the readme, there would be a list referencing the mods included... so one knows what he is uněsing and will be able to search the forum for the topics about each single mod included.

P.S.: For example, in my case: I noted the very nice officers portraits, I'd like to know who is the talended author(s) of these?
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 04:41 AM   #10
Metalogic
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
I downloaded it and very quickly browsed the files.
I think it's a custom "mod soup" centered around graphics enhacements and add-ons on many visual aspect of the game (crew uniforms, officers icons portrait, UI background screen, environment, terrain, maybe ships and plane models and the like...) ready to be installed above stock SH3.
It would be nice if, in the readme, there would be a list referencing the mods included... so one knows what he is uněsing and will be able to search the forum for the topics about each single mod included.

P.S.: For example, in my case: I noted the very nice officers portraits, I'd like to know who is the talended author(s) of these?
Did you have to supply details of a social media account to download it? There were so many "download" buttons on the screen, most *not* for the mod, that I wasn't sure if I clicked on the correct one!
Old 03-04-15, 07:34 AM   #11
banryu79
Samurai Navy

I already had an account to 4shared, I started using it 3 years ago.

Last edited by banryu79; 03-04-15 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-04-15, 09:03 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalboat View Post

Have a nice day!
I've received a report regarding the link above, part of which reads "Misrepresents one download as "Adobe Flash Update" which it is not. The target download "stockSH3better.rar" actually loads "stockSH3Better.exe".

I'd suggest you think very carefully about potential risks to your computer etc. before downloading.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 10:09 AM   #13
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I've received a report regarding the link above, part of which reads "Misrepresents one download as "Adobe Flash Update" which it is not. The target download "stockSH3better.rar" actually loads "stockSH3Better.exe".

I'd suggest you think very carefully about potential risks to your computer etc. before downloading.
I've got no problem at all with that download.
It's a rar file of about 250 MB. Here, at work, we have Kaspersky AntiVirus (Server + client), a very good anti-virus suite, and it did not raised any warning at all.

Btw, are you sure you are clicking in the correct link in that page?

P.S.: in ant case, a summary mod list will still be very helpfull, if available...
Old 03-04-15, 10:55 AM   #14
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
I've got no problem at all with that download.
It's a rar file of about 250 MB. Here, at work, we have Kaspersky AntiVirus (Server + client), a very good anti-virus suite, and it did not raised any warning at all.

Btw, are you sure you are clicking in the correct link in that page?

P.S.: in ant case, a summary mod list will still be very helpfull, if available...
So, which of the plethora of buttons on that page will actually load stockSH3better.rar? I thought I had tried them all and gotten nothing but crap.

BTW, this site is a real "Gotcha" for any unsophisticated noob. It is designed and intended to trick the unaware into downloading software they do not want. That software may - or may not - be harmful.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 11:46 AM   #15
pedalboat
A-ganger

Downloads: 130

Also uploaded to MEGA

https://mega.co.nz/#!iowRULQJ!4pajqi...69YtZUY4OsTbwQ
pedalboat is offline   Reply With Quote