SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-15, 06:00 PM   #31
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Weather Fix Forte keeps the weather for a couple of days, then changes, but it does seem to keep coming back to the storm condition. I think I like Stiebler4C weather best. I might still try Weather Fix Yoriyn by changing the campaign files striving for minor changes, but it is beginning to look like Stiebler weather being as good as it can get.
Old 02-28-15, 08:07 PM   #32
Nemo66
Bosun

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Hey mates,

i use a small mod called "bad_weather_guns" i downloaded here couple o' years ago, but i could not find it in the download section anymore. It doesn't change the weather at all i think, but allows me to man the guns and reload deck torpedos at an given weather. This not really realistic, i know, but a lot better than default.
The big disadvantage is, that my crew never wears their raincots, not even if it's raining cats and dogs...so they get a cold and i have to order gallons of hot tea for them!
As i have it in my mind (that may be wrong), default storm conditions start with wind 6, so wind 5 is the last where the crew can still man guns and reload deck torps.
I imagine the mod just changes that to highest level 15, that's why they don't even realize that there is a storm.
My weather is ok for me, it's not the same every day but still doesn't change from hour to hour as described for some weather mods.
I would like to change storm conditions in my mod to wind 11 or 12, so the whole thing would become more realistic again but i have no idea how.
To keep it realistic for now, i don't allow myself to reload deck Torpedos from wind 11 on, but i am a bad boy too and shoot (and hit) with my gun even in the craziest hurricane

What really would be nice was a "MAN OVERBOARD" scenario in the game when you push your crew too far...so that you loose your gunners and have to try to pick 'em up again, but with small chances to find them only. So you could man the gun at all weather situations, but always with a staggering risk of loosing some men. In SH 1 there was a pilot saving mission where you had to find shot down pilots (badly resembled by the commonly hated red triangle) in the battle for midway or coral sea, don't remember exactly. This was nice somehow, and i would love to see things like that in a subsim again.
Nemo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 01:12 AM   #33
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope

One can find all weather guns mod from here. (NYGM allows deck gun usage in 11 M/S winds.)

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=391

I haven't played SH4, but they apparently have pilot rescue missions.

One thing to break the monotonousness of SH3's orders is to pick a real life u-boat and then follow the orders that were given to it in real life. The orders can be partly (usually vaguely) reconstructed from BdU's war diary and from U-boatnet's individual boat histories. That is how I once got the orders to mine Bristol channel. I had to navigate to a depth of 25 meters right under the coastal defenses. Another time I had to carry a saboteur team to the North African coast. All done in my imagination of course, but it is a game anyways
Old 03-01-15, 11:14 AM   #34
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
monotonousness
Did you know they actually have a word for that? It's called 'monotony'.
Old 03-01-15, 11:46 AM   #35
sublynx
Sea Lord

Monotony... I like that! it's alot simpler and I guess more understandable too...