SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-15-06, 06:42 PM   #1
Linton
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Who still plays SC?

I was just wondering who still plays SC and whether any of you are still writing missions for it?Would any of you consider modifying some of the DW missions back to SC and are there any Multiplayer games still going on?
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-06, 05:15 AM   #2
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Yes, as I still don't have DW but at present I am heavily investing my spare time in SHIII. I have never taken SC with SCXIIc off my hard drive ever.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-06, 04:12 PM   #3
Linton
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

I have Dw but was not particularly impressed with it.i am not interested in the flight-sim side and I thought the Perry was a poor choice.Also with all the platforms of SCX I would have thought that a few other nations submarines(trafalgars )could have been included.So i am still playing SCX
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-06, 11:33 PM   #4
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

I still play SC/SCX. It's the only game that lets me put together true Cold War missions. And yes, even though I'm a bloody Yank, I love playing the SCU Trafalgar SSN.

I've got DW and spend most of my time on it. I love DW. But still SC, and Fleet Command both are still on my hard drive for the things that they provide.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-06, 12:21 AM   #5
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

Copy SD - SX/SCX still on HD plus Harpoon - but neither give way to the superb adrenalin trip of DW.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 08:48 PM   #6
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default I do

I still play SCXIIc and I still like it. As some of you have said I don't play the air platforms, and while I have tried the FFG don't really like it.
The Kilo is probably a fine inshore or littoral unit but I like Nuke boast and I am especially partial to the 688i and the Seawolf, sometime the Akula. I like the weapons in SCXIIc and I like such things as the ping chart that was developed for active intercept.
I have DW and I play it but I paid for platforms I never use.
As one of you said I believe a better surface platform could have been picked.

Respectfully,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-06, 01:28 AM   #7
Bellman
Sea Lord

A great pity for bubbleheads that as SCX11c reached a peak of perfection , given some limitations,
the pied piper DW lured the MP punters to new delights. The party moved on. But its now a great party with LwAmi.

Old 04-22-06, 08:56 AM   #8
Sub Sailor
Commander

Default I respectfully disagree

Whether SCXIIc reached its peak of perfection or not is probably in the eyes of the beholder.
I am a bubble head, but I have always stayed current with the state of the US Navy, and when I can, I try to learn about other Navies as well. My only negative and a minor one was I believe the designers could have picked a better surface platform that the OHP FFG. The choice of H-60 and the P-3 are excellent, it is probably to most wide spread Maritime Aircraft in the world today. I happen to believe the FFG is extremely limited, it is basically and ASW platform, and the Helos make it an excellent one.
I, as an individual choose to play the Subs-688i and then Seawolf- it is simply a personal preference, obviously the Kilo is the most popular diesel boat in the world to day and I wish we would build some, if for no other reason than to learn to detect and combat them.
I started on Nuclear Submarines in 1962 and believe that that is the best power source for a Sub, oh I am a nuke bubble head, but I don't want pity for my beliefs. I certainly respect yours I like SC, and I will give you another reason to pity me-I still play the old 688i H/K.
DW has something for everyone and LAW MI as done for DW what the developers did with SC when they came out with SCXIIc and SCU, which I have never installed.
I enjoy these sims, I am 65 years old with arthritis and I suppose I can relive the old days by playing them. I don't hike the mountains of Idaho as well now as I use to, and Naval sims are a big source of entertainment for me. Hell if gas keeps gong up they will probably become even more so. I respect the work that has been done and the work that will be done on all the sims and I will continue to exercise my preference for sims and platforms; I don't use the P-3, the helo, FFG, Kilo, occasionally the Akula, but I have never advocated removing any of them. I enjoy 688i and SCXIIc because it is a time period I have personal knowledge of. Yes i would very much like to see a sim developed based on the Virginia class SSN, and I wish Sonalyst would come out with a new improved version of Fleet Command. But again, I love pure Naval Sims and I love US Subs.

Free choice a wonderful thing,

Old 04-23-06, 10:03 AM   #9
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I still play SCXII, specially Cold War scenarios. I have recently written a short campaign in the cold war era for personal use (I'm not that skilled to make it public) and I'm having lot of fun. But in general I have lately very little time to play to any sim. Too busy with my work and a 1 year child plus another one coming in October
Old 04-23-06, 04:02 PM   #10
Sub Sailor
Commander

Default I will send you some

Hitman I am working on some for SCXIIc and when I have them ready I will send some to you.
I would love to look at you campaign.

Have a good one,

Old 04-23-06, 04:42 PM   #11
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Going back to SC with SCXIIC.

I am getting a little disillusioned with DW.

Most missions made still seem to be for submarines, not that many really for the FFG.

So in some ways maybe better off to stick with SC if you want to drive nukes.

The way that certain things weren't working properly too in DW eg ASROCS, torpedoes range vs speed etc...

I know Jamie might not be too happy with me saying this but I don't think the AI is any much improved in DW. Ships still run aground, user commands aren't functional as they were in SC.
Old 04-23-06, 05:02 PM   #12
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

I loved the SCXII models id love that in DW i know its going to take time if they ever do decide to bring something like that out, but it gave you more of a choice and better realism.

With SCXII installed i feel as if ive taken a step backwards in buying DW, but realy i love them both.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 01:39 AM   #13
Bellman
Sea Lord

I doubt that there enough of us to get in some dives !

Old 04-26-06, 08:18 PM   #14
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

I'm working on two FFG missions currently. I'm just testing two sub missions that I will upload this weekend for DW. I still think DW is the superior product for me, personally. But SC/SCX is something I can't seem to leave. In SC, I can drive Permit Class, the deadly Trafalgar, and the beloved Sturgeons. In DW, I can hunt for subs in Air units, I can skipper a surface warship, and I got access to a Red diesel sub.

I say both of these sims are excellent in their own way. Both can do things that the other can't. In that regard, I recommend that everyone play both.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-06, 02:45 AM   #15
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

I don't know. Of late I have become more dissillusioned with DW. Some of the stuff that people are reported that still isn't fixed since day one. Certain things like FFG TMA keeping targets at 5.5 nm regardless of what sensor picked it up.

I'm going to wait and see with the 1.04 patch.