SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-13-17, 02:04 PM   #31
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Oh no, now it again looks like evacuating?!

Do you have breathing masks? Stay safe, and despite house and all: better leave in time!
Yup we got masks; but remaining indoors is the recommended thing so I'm in no 'particulate' rush at this point; the neighbor fire chief spent the night at home and went back to work this AM. which alleviates much decision making tension. He's the communications/media PR spokesman, so I figure ...HE KNOWS ALL! If he leaves, we leave; simple as that! As before: Saturday's expected winds, both velocity and direction, will be very decisive. This mess is expected to go on for the balance of the month....At least I now have (above) a real-time fire-map to properly monitor the fire's movement-red stuff is flames.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-17, 01:52 PM   #32
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default The air war

All 10 western states' aerial resources are involved in the Napa/Sonoma fires at this point including the 747 Global supertanker. A spotter aircraft with a experienced smoke jumper to gauge the wind and other imponderables flys into the target and leaves a smoke puff; when the 747 nose hits the puff the 19,000 gallons is released on target....well not always: there have been a few misses that have doused the ground fire crews. So far in both counties home losses are approaching 5000 and 40 are confirmed dead. The elderly are most vulnerable: the median age of victims is 79. Winds are the key: they are out of the East so air quality is good; but what is good for Napa is bad for Sonoma to the west. Our place is still within 8000 feet of the Redwood RD./Partrick fire line with occasional hotspots so we're still in bug-out mode as yet and can smell the smoke. The situation as of 07:30:
Quote:
11:50; Effective immediately the Evacuation Advisory in place within Napa city limits is lifted. Residents are reminded to exercise caution while emergency vehicles continue to operate within the area.
(subject to sudden wind changes of course)

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-15-17 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 02:30 PM   #33
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

The wind definitely shifted in San Rafael yesterday and started blowing northward clearing the smoke quite a bit, but the air quality is still bad for toxin levels.

I worked in Santa Rosa at Memorial Hospital Friday and it wasn't any smokier than home forty miles south. Driving up in the predawn dark you can't tell anything is happening oddly enough. No fire glow anywhere but kind of a "Twilight Zone" feel all through the day. Many doctors and hospital administration types, as well as all other workers have lost their homes. The Kaiser hospital is supposed to reopen Monday but Sutter will still remain closed due to smoke.

I've lived in this area all my life and it will be very depressing having to drive through areas forever changed of decades old landmarks.

Thanks for all the help from all over.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-17, 03:36 PM   #34
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Just drove Dry Creek and Orchard (roadblock still there); heavy smoke is only directly North at the Yountville breakthrough along Oakville Grade with all smoke along the Mt Veeder Ridge dissipated completely. The chief just pulled in and says the worst has gone by; all of city-limit Napa evacuations are lifted. I'm now out to Geyserville up toward Lake Sonoma to assist my 80 year old family friend to move back into her rural 5 acres/mobile home with all of her cats and birds. The trip way'round through Novato to 101 should be interesting as hwy 128 through Calistoga(North) and hwy 121 past Sonoma(South) is sealed off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddaBBY
Thanks for all the help from all over.
No kidding! just spotted a pumper unit at South Napa market 20 minutes ago; from Cornelius....I had never heard of Cornelius.... duh: its from Cornelius, North Carolina -3000+ miles away! Australian and Canadian crews are here as well alongside neighboring state's crews. This is serious all-out fire fighting!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-15-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 03:53 AM   #35
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Glad to hear you two are safe!
So you are now out of danger?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 10:41 AM   #36
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Fire wise probably; now we'll await the mudslides from the bare-burned steep hillsides when the winter rains hit. Rain is expected around Thursday which will help with the hotspots still burning to the north on both sides of Napa and in Sonoma. The smoke is still discernible so the house stays buttoned up today. The fire hazard is a constant of this area as with my traffic stop two years ago, the primary concern is always to prevent a fire; it is everyman's concern:http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2412132&postcount=788 The current rumor investigation is that high winds caused old PG&E power lines to spark.
Quote:
The fires currently burning in Northern California, particularly in Sonoma, Napa, and Yuba Counties, spanned more than 265 square miles as of the morning of October 12, 2017. Weather conditions Thursday could reverse some containment efforts, as the forecast calls for winds gusting up to 45 mph. Emergency workers have reported multiple instances of power lines falling down and electrical transformers exploding, leading some to suggest utility giant PG&E may have caused or contributed to the fires now scorching Northern California through poor equipment maintenance and noncompliance with state fire risk regulations.
But a dragging trailer hitch chain, vehicle backfire, or glass bottle in sunlight can cause it: 40 dead; 200 missing; and 5000+ homes destroyed. Most people in the suburban mountain interface understand the danger of beautiful remote locations; this monster broke the rules: tearing through an entire subdivision in minutes in downtown Santa Rosa. Currently the fire in my area is 50% contained; 11,000 firefighters are on 12 fires. The winds are currently very lenient and the temperatures are cool- all in our favor. Fire officials report the worst is past....EDIT: the news report on TV just now is that a fire tanker truck overturned on the steep Oakville Grade just north of me; killing the driver; I hope it was not the gentleman I spoke to yesterday while he filled his equipment from a Dry Creek Rd. fire-hydrant near my home. Crews have been pulling 24 hour shifts but are expected to rotate properly now that sufficient manpower resources are at hand. Fire water tanker-tenders are a particular hazard: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pdfs/hid14.pdf

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-18-17 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 01:55 PM   #37
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Much improved!

Fires to the north currently. A slight flare up directly to the NW of me. Calistoga residents are permitted back into their town. Map is in real-time; http://www.pressdemocrat.com/multimedia/7516058-181/pd-default-story-headline-xy Brown is cool; yellow is mellow;...red is hot! NOTE: single red squares along the Sacramento River (south of Napa) tend to be oil refinery flares as this is an infra-red based map.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-16-17 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 11:00 PM   #38
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default much better!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-17-17 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-19-17, 12:59 PM   #39
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default a little post-fuego perspective

Currently no active red hotspots on any real-time maps including the Oakville Grade blaze that persisted till yesterday to the north and cost one tanker driver's life. Now we await the runoff/pollution into the water reservoirs from scorched earth watersheds this winter. Hydro-seeding forest hillsides may be required as there are still damages from the Cobb Mountain/Middletown disaster of 2015 just a little further north. The air quality is improved but iffy: WOW the worst air quality rating in the Bay area this past week is a 'typical day' in Beijing, China!!! Having packed up two cars, ready to bug-out myself for four days(currently unpacking) including all house-cat supplies, passport and pictures- a little sympathetic weirdness as what seems important is subject to extreme tunnel vision with 10+ minutes warning!: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/lifestyle/7539146-181/sonoma-county-residents-shared-the?ref=most&artslide=0
Quote:
My dirty laundry! Figured it was everything I'd worn in the last week, so at least I'd have some clothes I knew fit!

Old 10-21-17, 03:03 PM   #40
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

The new class of homeless people in the California wild fire district ... this is sad for many have no where left to go and the shelters are now down to just three from 30.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ca...gLq?li=BBnbcA1

Quote:
"Everyone has to start over," she said.

She and her family were displaced by one of the massive Northern California fires last week.

The fire didn't discriminate. The most destructive fire in California history torched Santa Rosa's high-end homes, middle-class neighborhoods and a mobile home park. It left the entire spectrum of the city's population in distress as homes and businesses went up in flames.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 03:14 PM   #41
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Currently no active red hotspots on any real-time maps including the Oakville Grade blaze
Glad this is all behind you. It's sad to see the pictures of all the destruction these fires have done.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 03:29 PM   #42
Buddahaid

Read an email today stating 51 doctors associated with Santa Rosa memorial Hospital lost their homes.

David Bowie
Old 10-23-17, 08:22 PM   #43
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

^ thanks! this is a total misery. Combined with the wipeout two years ago just to the North of the Cobb mountain/Middletown disaster with 1200 homes, 50 sq. miles, and four dead... that's about it for the region.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-23-17 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-23-17, 09:04 PM   #44
Buddahaid

Yep, it's hard to take in. Saw what's left of Stornetta's Dairy Saturday. Made me cry remembering they used to deliver our milk when I was young. Plus that clock.....gone.

David Bowie
Old 10-23-17, 09:09 PM   #45
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
The current rumor investigation is that high winds caused old PG&E power lines to spark.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7553691-181/pge-slowed-fire-risk-mapping-of?ref=most&artslide=0
Quote:
Two days before the deadliest outbreak of wildfires in California history, PG&E and other utilities won the latest in a long series of delays to map where power lines pose the greatest wildfire risk, a report said Sunday. For the better part of a decade, California’s utilities have helped to stall the state’s effort to map where their power lines present the highest risk for wildfires, an initiative that critics say could have forced PG&E to strengthen power poles and bolster maintenance efforts before this month’s deadly North Bay fires. ....
Within the first 90 minutes of the fires in Sonoma and Napa counties, firefighters received reports of at least 10 blown transformers or downed power lines at the same time they were called out to battle 19 structure and vegetation fires.
PG&E has acknowledged that some of its lines and poles went down that first night of the fires, citing drought-ravaged trees and what it insisted was a “historic wind event.” But the Bay Area News Group found that the winds when the fires were first reported were roughly half the speed that power poles and lines are required by law to withstand.
As I stated in a previous post; what a mess! The Stornetta Dairy was a landmark and I know some of the family members; one was a Napa cop. Saw some smoke along a ridge line earlier this AM while driving a sailboat up the Napa River from Vallejo to the Napa marina for a haul-out. The local Cal Fire tell me there still some minor stuff but its pretty well contained.... for now. One of my techs in Windsor is housing his inlaws who lost their home in the Geyserville Fire; and I've met several locals who lost everything. They are remarkably calm.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-23-17 at 09:19 PM.

Tags
california, wild fires