SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-11, 06:44 AM   #1441
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

@Stiebler: Thanks very much!
Old 06-07-11, 07:25 AM   #1442
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Outstanding work.

It's impressed me so much I've had to re-install SH3 after a break of about a year just for 'one last go'.

Thanks to all involved in this
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 07:56 AM   #1443
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266

What means line "4825=;" in both *menus.txt files in V15F3?
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 08:37 AM   #1444
h.sie
Admiral

@Jerome: That means: Reserved for later use.

Does it work for you in the meantime? Fortunately, I have no Linux, so I couldn't help to locate the error.
Old 06-07-11, 10:13 AM   #1445
NGT
Lieutenant

Downloads: 289
Uploads: 3
The option of ‘surrender’ + survived crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post

All OK? Does anyone have any problems with this as a working principle?

Stiebler.
@Stiebler

Hello Stiebler, h.sie and all captains

Obviously, this option of surrender and come back, is useful when ones likes to continue a carrier, even with some time gap (time to go back, recover etc), with some realism, and without "tweaking" the data inside "My Documents".

It is easy to take the same player name and start a new career with the old grad, but, the purpose is to give some more taste of "continuation".

I suggest to calculate how many of our crew will survive, by taking out from them an amount of renown points related to hull damage.

So, for 80 % hull damage, take out 80% of renown points from each one. If the remaining points are less than x [where x the number you suggest] then the sailor will be consider like dead.

Of course the finally alive crew will start next patrol with new U-boot with all the renown points, because the above calculation is virtual.

The logic is, because we like to continue career during the war, to keep some of the best elements. And the more renown one earn, the more chance to survive, because more experience.

An other idea: to ensure that: if surfacing for surrender, the destroyers and other warships should stop shooting against the U-boot. .. .

. . . and in case of scuttling, some lifeboats and debris ---8212;from the well know mod---8212; is not too much, I believe...

I would like to mention, especially after all this tweaks of SH3.exe, that the hull integrity is not the only one factor for surrender: end of oxygen stocks, destroyed hydrophones with 5 destroyers detected before hydrophone destruction, battery life down to almost 0, so we can surface only with blow ballast (but destroyers attacks us and we move at 0 knots---8230, major crew loss making U-boot impossible to manage, periscopes and pumps and rudders destroyed---8230;

During the war, one U-boot captain committed suicide during depth charging, but the first watch officer managed to take the boat back to the port.

I means by that, it is enough to introduce just a couple of button, and left to the player the decision of surrender, scuttling, dying, etc---8230; (I understand of course, is not to easy, I know...)

Thanks for hosting.

Thank you one more time for all your good will for improving this game

Last edited by NGT; 06-08-11 at 12:11 PM.
NGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 01:14 PM   #1446
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@Jerome: That means: Reserved for later use.
Ah so

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
Does it work for you in the meantime? Fortunately, I have no Linux, so I couldn't help to locate the error.
I add next 2G RAM and now it works fine. You doing good job, man.

Last edited by JeromeHeretic; 06-07-11 at 01:36 PM.
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 02:04 PM   #1447
Osmium Steele
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 22

H.sie, a question.

Do you know if the propulsion state upon surfacing; lined up for battery charge, is determined by the sh3.exe file? My fear is that it is hardcoded, similar to the "1WO to the bridge".

I'm trying to find a way to make standard propulsion the default state upon surfacing, and am having no luck finding a flag in the .cfg files.

My U297 build thread
Osmium Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 08:38 PM   #1448
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Question(s):
How can I use Stiebler's U-Tanker fix he came up with in his continuation of h.sie's fixes with versions of your fixes that are V15F3 or greater??

Will the later versions of your fixes overwrite any of Stiebler's fixes that were compatible with the V15E3 patch?

I love the idea of the U-Tanker fix but it seems that the later versions of h.sie's fixes may overwrite Stiebler's continuation fixes.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 10:55 AM   #1449
h.sie
Admiral

@Osmium: No, I don't know, but I assume that it's hardcoded. I didn't find the according code yet.

@sharkbit: The U-Tanker Fix from Stiebler will be (besides other mods from him) part of the forthcoming version V15G.
Old 06-08-11, 11:54 AM   #1450
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

@H.Sie:

If you want, I can keep the thread title update with a reference to the current version, so users who check briefly or only once every few days can inmediately see if there is a new version. It is a matter of adding "(Current V15F)" to the thread title, but making the rest a bit shorter would probably help
Old 06-08-11, 12:07 PM   #1451
complutum
Torpedoman

Downloads: 384

I've got the Stiebler's patch installed, which effects i will get if i install your V15F version?, and just in case, wich is the procedure to install it?
I mean, must i delete the Stiebler's patch or can i install your patch over it?
Thanks both of you for this great job.
complutum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 12:27 PM   #1452
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@complutum:

You cannot install a H.sie patch over the Stiebler patch, nor the other way round. But V15G will contain all the patches from the Hsie_Stiebler patch (with improvements by Hsie), so just be patient for a little longer.

@NGT:
Your proposals (that hull integrity affects player renown, and decides who should die and who should survive) are very good ones, but unfortunately difficult to implement.

@Hitman:
You made a proposal some time ago that weather conditions should affect the speed of convoys and individual ships. This was an excellent idea, but neither Hsie nor I have been able to discover the correct code!

I spent a long time trying to discover the correct code, and found that I could make ships and convoys run at quarter-speed in tests. There was just one problem: actually, it was the *reported* speeds that were one-quarter speed. It is no fun being chased by a destroyer when your UZO tells you that it is making 8 kts (and you are making 16 kts), but the lookouts tell you that the distance between the destroyer and the U-boat is closing fast!

So we have had to put your idea aside for a while.

Equally we still have no idea concerning how to tell if a U-boat is close to land (although we can detect its grid), which rules out some of your other suggestions for the present time. Including your suggestion about weather in the other Hsie weather thread, but answered here.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 12:40 PM   #1453
Silent Ace
Seaman

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Nice idea, Stiebler

Just one comment: I don't think that hull damage is a good indicator for surrendering the boat. I guess most players don't know the hull damage, so it's difficult to know when you can give up. I think a proper solution would be if the player could decide on his own when to surrender.

One idea might be that you have to move your crew out of a special compartment, e.g., with an empty radio room (can you still send a radio message in this case ) you can surrender or with empty bow quarters and bow torpedo room. Or completely empty engine rooms (usually at least one of them is occupied).

Regards, LGN1
Proper mindset LGN1.
I absolutely support your idea.
Old 06-08-11, 01:11 PM   #1454
h.sie
Admiral

@Hitman: I think that is not easy, since there are always at least 2 different versions: one beta and one or two (hopefully) stable. So for a quick overview I already changed the 1st post of the thread. At the top of the 1st post you see if there are new versions available.

@Stiebler: Up to now I thought, career is finshed if one surrenders a boat...???

Last edited by h.sie; 06-08-11 at 02:00 PM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 03:13 PM   #1455
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

It seems correct, those are good conditions for surrender.

Is it possible work on the SH3.EXE for this modification?

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote