SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-16, 03:38 AM   #316
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Ciao VonDos, well done!

That stern section starts resembling the real thing at last, though I would make the bended profile of each deck aft (between the ladders) a bit narrower and more flat.

As to the shadowing problems in the hull, in my experience they might be caused by twisted surfaces (though in your case I dont think this is the problem), or by wrong smoothing groups. To the best of my knowledge SH's 3D format doesnt support smoothing groups (i.e. if you have any in your obj meshes, they are ignored when S3d imports them into a dat file), but edges/vertices get split along the perimeter of each UV mapped area, thus behaving as "hard edges". The solution would be welding one or more UV mapped areas where unwanted sharp shadows are rendered in game, before you import your model in S3d. Getting shadows right without distorting too much the UV map might take some time, but it shouldnt be too complicated either
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-16, 04:53 PM   #317
VonDos
Admiral

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Ciao VonDos, well done!

That stern section starts resembling the real thing at last, though I would make the bended profile of each deck aft (between the ladders) a bit narrower and more flat.
Something like this? Narrower between ladders, less squared and a bit narrower also outside ladders following hull curves =)

ps nota that third funnel, masts, wires and first couple of lilfeboats (the brown-top couple) are now external objects included in a library!! IT WORKS!!

ps i've tryed to solve shadowing problem but still unsolved... maybe someone can help me in this btw at moment i'm working on add reflections to library objects..

Best regards!

Those, others and WIP ships are avaiable in my SHIPYARD here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136508
VonDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-16, 06:29 PM   #318
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDos View Post
Something like this? Narrower between ladders, less squared and a bit narrower also outside ladders following hull curves =)

Sort of. The lower deck is okay, but the two upper decks should be even more flat and narrow. Compare your screenshot with the picture of the model posted by Jeff:

The straight portions on each side are wider than in your model (two and three railing units respectively), and the projection of the bended portion after doesn't even reach the ideal line joining the lower portions of the two ladders on each side

Quote:
ps nota that third funnel, masts, wires and first couple of lilfeboats (the brown-top couple) are now external objects included in a library!! IT WORKS!!
Of course it does

Quote:
ps i've tryed to solve shadowing problem but still unsolved... maybe someone can help me in this btw at moment i'm working on add reflections to library objects..
Send your working files my way I and I will see what I can do. Preferably in obj or 3ds format, together with the dat file that you want the meshes to be imported in.

P.S: before we start messing with the shadowing of the stern, have you noticed that the stern profile in Jeff's picture is narrower and sharper than it is in your model? The changes required might actually mitigate the problem, rendering any other tweak useless

Last edited by gap; 10-10-16 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-12-16, 05:40 PM   #319
VonDos
Admiral

Reworked again, not definitive, wath do you think about this:

Best regards,
Vd

Old 10-14-16, 06:11 PM   #320
VonDos
Admiral

Reworked a little again, lower deck was really near the stern, more than in previous version.. ps i've added reflections to third funnel (the one included into library)!

While looking at aux cruiser version's pictures, i've noted that side's windows configuration was changed during wartime (a lot of them was covered..)
Maybe i can use 3d windows as library object also, and separate them from main hull =)

Best regards,
Vd

Last edited by VonDos; 10-14-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 06:38 AM   #321
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Reworked a little again, lower deck was really near the stern, more than in previous version..
You anticipated me, I was going to say the same. Well done VonDos

Quote:
While looking at aux cruiser version's pictures, i've noted that side's windows configuration was changed during wartime (a lot of them was covered..)
Maybe i can use 3d windows as library object also, and separate them from main hull =)
Good idea. Since you are at it, you could make the material of pre-war windows slightly emissive, so that the windows will look illuminated at night

P.S: I have noticed that the shadowing artifacts towards the stern have disappeared in this last version
Old 10-17-16, 01:41 PM   #322
VonDos
Admiral

Hi!

Sadly shadows problem is disappeared only by one side.. btw emissive effect is really..

Best regards,
Vd

Old 10-17-16, 02:38 PM   #323
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Sadly shadows problem is disappeared only by one side..
Thats actually good. Try and compare the two sides, looking for differences in the geometry of the object and/or in the UV map. As I wrote before, smoothing groups should be not relevant, but to be sure have a look into them too. If everything else fails, split the hull model in two halves along the longitudinal axis, scrap the buggy side, mirror the remaning one, and re-weld the two halves.

Quote:
btw emissive effect is really..

Looks amazing. For the sake of realism, the same should be done with ALL the SHIII-IV-5 units to be assigned to the roster of a neutral country. The appearance of shadowed lights can be controlled through start/end dates in eqp file, and using the method of multiple units sharing the same model, every nation could have its own version of the same ship with customized eqp files and start/end dates reflecting their diplomatic stance.

On a side note, do the lighten-up windows in your library file have a reflection model? I am curious to know if emissive materials cast their lights on the water, though I think the answer is yes
Old 10-17-16, 05:47 PM   #324
VonDos
Admiral

Thanks mate!
Reflection model is actually included for ighten-up windows.. i'll post effects in detail as soon as possibile..

Best regards,
Vd

Old 10-18-16, 12:32 PM   #325
VonDos
Admiral

Old 10-18-16, 02:27 PM   #326
gap
Navy Seal

Haha, thank you too for your amazing work VonDos. I am impressed, you have even modelled 3D bulkheads!!!

If you don't mind yet another suggestion, I think those lights are a bit too dim for a pre-war ship, and you might also add navigation lights on the masts and on the superstructure

IIRC I have some simple WWII-style ship lanterns that I had modelled a while ago and never released, somewhere in one of my HDs. If you want, I can send them your way
Old 10-18-16, 02:53 PM   #327
VonDos
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
IIRC I have some simple WWII-style ship lanterns that I had modelled a while ago and never released, somewhere in one of my HDs. If you want, I can send them your way
Waiting for =)

Old 10-18-16, 03:53 PM   #328
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon7

Hello VonDos,

Could you create lights like that :

Look at the files of ships with such lights (red lights in the command room) in GWX to understand how it works.

Good luck !
Old 10-18-16, 06:03 PM   #329
VonDos
Admiral

Better for you?

Best regards,
Vd

Old 10-22-16, 06:43 AM   #330
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon9

Quote:
Better for you?
No. Look at this. It is a ship with lights in GWX. I think it's not so difficult to re-create this effect for your passenger line, just study how it's done in GWX with S3D. Wouldn't it be wonderful with your beautiful ship ?

Tags
kriegs marine, ocean liners, regia marina, royal hellenic navy, warships