SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-14-17, 05:53 PM   #1
DaveR
A-ganger

Downloads: 190
Uploads: 0
Icon9 SH4 re-install?

Like hulkster, I've been on 10 year break. (work). tried to come back to sh4, (sh5 has become a disappointment - lots of ctds'), but have run into odd problem. I am guessing that uninstalling sh4, with out removing mods, was a mistake. I tried re-installing sh4 and when it boots up, rfb window shows up and the program hangs. tried the removal technique posted here, but that was for version 1.4, I have 1.5. tried re-installing rfb mods and tried the game, which works, but when going thru id book, get a ctd, consistently. then tried removing mods, but starting the game again gets rfb widow and the program hangs. another oddity, installation doesn't ask for cd-key. same computer, but new ssd with imaged os... any ideas??????????
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-17, 06:47 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Did you delete the "Save" folder? "My Documents / SH4", or "Users / MyName / My Documents / SH4" folder. Uninstall the game again, delete that folder, and if you have no other Ubisoft software on the machine, you could use a Registry Cleaner, and get rid of references to Ubisoft or Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific, though those utilities can be dangerous...

Read through Rockin Robbins Crash Management System thread, and see if that utility interests you...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-17, 08:32 PM   #3
DaveR
A-ganger

didn't see your posting first time. thought I would try installing in root directory; and it worked. also thought I would try sh4cms because it sounded like a very good idea. however, ran into a problem. can anyone tell me what I did wrong? (oops, thought there was away of posting pictures). root directory is SH4, so, have directorys' 'sh4cms v1.5', then 'SH4C-M-S-' and the 'S-H-W-P'. sent' startsh4cms.bat to desktop (who's target is - 'C:\SH4\SH4CorruptionManagmentSystem\StartSH4CMS.b at'). but the results is a command window saying 'The SH4C-M-S- needs to live in the parent directory....'.
Old 05-15-17, 05:01 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

SH4CMS has some very clear documentation as part of the mod. Basically, the program makes an assumption that you have installed the game in the default directory name of \Wolves of the Pacific. The game will do this unless you go through the steps of deleting the name and typing in some other. It does not matter where in your directory tree \Wolves of the Pacific is, only that it exists and that SH4CMS lives in a parallel directory.

It also assumes that you have just installed SH4 and those files in \Wolves of the Pacific are pure virgin, never before played, certified authentically original game files.

I could go further but the entire procedure, with screenshots for illustration, is in the documentation that comes with the SH4CMS utility. Once you get it situated you'll never have a problem with game corruption again.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17, 04:44 PM   #5
DaveR
A-ganger

I have always had extreme respect, (and jealousy), for the modding community. a lot of excellent work. a lot of great ideas.

my problem came up from pdf instruction illustrations, page 2, where both of the directories are labled: 'Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific.' (which is what my SH4 uses as default directory name).

Everything seemed to work under SH4cms.

But then ran into some other oddities;
MultiSH4: entered 'RFB', but got os errors and wouldn't allow changes.

LargeAddressAware: worked, anyway it said it did. however, the window box size wouldn't drag larger. the 'save' button had just enough visablity to be clicked.

JSGME: never had any problems with this before, (talking 10 years ago), And last couple of days of experimenting. now, starting the program, it couldn't find it's 'ini' file. It seemed to worked, but I had to use 'task manager' to close it. I had the install file and tried installing it, but again, it couldn't find it's 'ini' file and again had to close it with 'task manager'. However: it saw rfb files and seemed to load them. I spent last few hours testing the program and seems to be working. However: I just thought of, I didn't run the new JSGME thru LAA, does that matter?

thanks again for all your work and i loved this statement: "You are getting your game out from under the domain of Microsoft watchdogs who allow malware to run rampant while they cripple your efforts to use your own machine"......

brost
Old 05-15-17, 09:12 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

We might have to have RR check if he's got the latest in MultiSH4 and LAA in his utility... JSGME should be v2.6. I always "install" it in the game's main folder of each install, and I will still double-check myself when enabling and deactivating mods, that I'm in the correct folder. MultiSH4 I think is v1.5 - maybe... When using LAA, be sure the SH4.exe file is not write protected, which it is when the game is first installed. Right-click on the exe file, choose Properties from the bottom of the list, and on that little window, look on the "General" tab for the "Attributes: Read only" tick box, and be sure it's empty, so that LAA can write to the file. The newest version of LAA has a nicer interface that is much more informative. Be sure and read through CapnScurvy's Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install write-up. The jury is out on whether JSGME benefits from using LAA...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17, 09:46 PM   #7
DaveR
A-ganger

thanks. turns out, JGGME's 'ini' file was write protected as well. should I unload RFB before LAA'ing sh4, or does that matter?