Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-17, 09:50 AM   #1
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Default Sound Emission

Hello I am new to this game I am playing with RA mod but I don't have any idea how to know how much noise each class of submarine emit. I like to play qiuck missions So I love choosing subs. And What is best speed for staying silent?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 02:07 PM   #2
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ugh, I wrote a ten minute post, then hit the wrong button, all gone.
fml.

Quickly:
In general, US subs tend to be the quietest, followed by Russians and last the Chinese ones (Han-class for example).
To what measure exactly?
No one here knows, or could disclose, obviously.

As for "safe speeds", with the 688i boats you can stay "silent" up to roughly 8kts in literally dangerous waters. That is the speed I feel still safe enough when some contacts are >10nm out. Any closer, I go to 5kts, which seems to be the standard lurking speed. For transit in unknown waters, I do not exceed 15kts, and for transit when I assume the area is largely clear, I go as fast as the port (not starboard) towed array allows before washout.
I think that is around 25kts, and hence easy to remember (5, 15, 25).

If you don't know, the two TA's are different models. TB-16 and TB-23, while the latter one is more sensitive and hence, washes out at lower speeds.
I can't say much about Russian subs, still not much experience in them after all these years.

Hope that at least gives a rough idea?
Old 05-20-17, 04:20 AM   #3
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

I think this is wrong question and i will try to show you why.

Nuclear submarines are noiser at low speed than conventional but at higher speed they are quieter. Thats because nuclear subs are designed for going faster.

For example:
Which sub is noiser on screen below: LA or Kilo?

Some rules about noise

1) SSN > SSK at low speed
2) older sub > modern sub
3) SSBN > SSN > SSK (but Ohio class is very quiet in full spectrum of speed)

Of coures there are some exceptions (like Ohio)

=======

Quote:
To what measure exactly?
No one here knows, or could disclose, obviously.
Its not true. I know which sub is noiser and how to measure noise level :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan (from RedRodgers forum)
All the noises for the table were taken directly from the game engine through the simulator kernel debugger, by measuring for each platform. At speeds from 0 to maximum speed.
Quote:
As for "safe speeds", with the 688i boats you can stay "silent" up to roughly 8kts in literally dangerous waters. That is the speed I feel still safe enough when some contacts are >10nm out. Any closer, I go to 5kts, which seems to be the standard lurking speed. For transit in unknown waters, I do not exceed 15kts, and for transit when I assume the area is largely clear, I go as fast as the port (not starboard) towed array allows before washout.
I think that is around 25kts, and hence easy to remember (5, 15, 25).
I completly disagree with Nippelspanner (sorry Nip)
In my opinion NOT DETECTION but IDENTIFICATION is main problem. In DW all sub and surf units have first frequency 50 Hz or 60 Hz, so in reach enviroment and with heavy civilian traffic it gives you nothing!
Of course in isolated area, for example under ice, almost all contacts on NB are probably submarines.

Here you have detected fast moving LA from close range (number 15)

and here detected Kilo

Click on spoiler button

As you see, detected submarine could be very hard to identiffication!
(AI can identify your sub without any problems - it is cheating)

=======

In my opinion your speed should be determinated by:
1) situation
2) your own sonars washout

For LA Flt III
- 8 kts for Hull sonar
- 14 kts for Bow sonar
- 19 kts for TB-16 (port) Towed Array

For LA FLT II
- 6 kts Hull
- 12 kts Bow
- 19 kts for TB-16 (port) Towed Array

Akula I imp
- 6 kts Hull
- 8 kts Towed Array
- 13 kts Bow

All submarines have different values for washout Hull, Bow and TA sonars.

=======

Why i think your question is wrong? Let me ask you something:

In Silent hunter which submarine is the quietest?

Is it matter?

Good hunting Niume
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 11:13 AM   #4
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
Its not true. I know which sub is noiser and how to measure noise level :P
For some reason, I was thinking rl, not ingame.
One can always check the database of course for exact ingame values, yes.

Quote:
In my opinion your speed should be determinated by:
1) situation
2) your own sonars washout
Which is basically what I said as well?
Not sure what you disagree with.

Edit: clarification.
I did mention that in my first and more detailed draft that I accidentally lost. -.-
Here, I did indeed not.

Last edited by Nippelspanner; 05-20-17 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 12:13 PM   #5
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
One can always check the database of course for exact ingame values, yes.
Checking database is not enough. You have to use debugger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Which is basically what I said as well?
Not sure what you disagree with.
You suggest to use speed "steps" according to range but i think it is not good tactics.
By "situation" i mean execution for planned earlier action like: transit, monitoring, ambushing, defending, attacking - not distance to enemy.
For actions above you should use speed determined by your sensors.

Yesterday during small MP session, my teammate was sunk because he move too slow for planned action. He thought he was close to the enemy and he have to reduce speed - just like in your guide. That was critical mistake. His LA was hit by iranian version of shkvals from very close and quiet KILO (ambush). After TIW he did not have time to speed up.

Pretending "hole in water" is good only if you make ambush and you are in good place for that. Otherwise slow speed makes you easy target - detection for ASW group is always matter of time.
Old 05-20-17, 02:59 PM   #6
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Checking database is not enough. You have to use debugger.
Where would I get that and what can it do at all?
I started to fool around with editing the game a while ago.

Quote:
You suggest to use speed "steps" according to range but i think it is not good tactics.
By "situation" i mean execution for planned earlier action like: transit, monitoring, ambushing, defending, attacking - not distance to enemy.
For actions above you should use speed determined by your sensors.

Yesterday during small MP session, my teammate was sunk because he move too slow for planned action. He thought he was close to the enemy and he have to reduce speed - just like in your guide. That was critical mistake. His LA was hit by iranian version of shkvals from very close and quiet KILO (ambush). After TIW he did not have time to speed up.

Pretending "hole in water" is good only if you make ambush and you are in good place for that. Otherwise slow speed makes you easy target - detection for ASW group is always matter of time.
All very true, of course.
However, the OP is new to the game and it seems he needs to learn the ropes first, not sure how useful a plethora of extremely specific details is in that case, and if a simpflified "rule of thumb" might not be enough for the start. But that's up to him.
Old 05-21-17, 07:09 PM   #7
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0
Default Sonar Screen

P7P8,
What sonar screen is that in your post? Just different than what I see.

Thanks,
Del
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 02:19 AM   #8
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

This is screen from O.H.Perry display (TA Station) - very similar like on real Perry.
Added with patch #2 to RA 1.41
Old 05-22-17, 01:03 PM   #9
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
This is screen from O.H.Perry display (TA Station) - very similar like on real Perry.
Added with patch #2 to RA 1.41
Nice, I thought it might be from that Italian FF, didn't catch the news that the OHP got something new. Maybe that's a reason to finally get into this platform. I just feel terribly un-safe in this thing, haha.
Old 05-24-17, 11:17 PM   #10
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

I don't know much about the in game sound profiles, and I haven't played around with the fancy american subs, but in RA mod when I'm playing my Akula, and I'm trying to be stealthy, I'm down to 5 knots. But I set my speed based on the situation and what I'm up against. If I'm running against an old noisy Han running at full speed, I have no issue running at 10 knots. If I'm up against a seawolf or a 212 at fairly close range. I'm down to 3 knots and have my ears on him waiting to see a transient spike or the whine of a torpedo.

But then again, I'm also not the greatest sub captain in history, and have to bless the speed and acceleration of russian SSNs for getting me out of my messes.
Old 05-25-17, 09:10 AM   #11
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed150mph View Post
I haven't played around with the fancy american subs
which one you have in mind?

Quote:
(...) but in RA mod when I'm playing my Akula,
All akulas in RA are "fancy", i hope RA 1.42 will change that.

Quote:
I'm trying to be stealthy, I'm down to 5 knots. But I set my speed based on the situation and what I'm up against. If I'm running against an old noisy Han running at full speed, I have no issue running at 10 knots. If I'm up against a seawolf or a 212 at fairly close range. I'm down to 3 knots and have my ears on him waiting to see a transient spike or the whine of a torpedo.
very common tactic that makes you easy prey for experienced and coordinated ASW forces.
Do you slow down when your target increases distances (with high speed) to your sub? In my opinion you loses opportunity to engaging.

I wonder what is your tactic when your task is screening allied surface group which transit 10-15 kts?

Quote:
But then again, I'm also not the greatest sub captain in history, and have to bless the speed and acceleration of russian SSNs for getting me out of my messes.
Scenarios where main task is simple but surviving is not (for example: staying alive in next 1 hour after sinking main target) are my favorite!