SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-17, 12:18 PM   #1
rockmedic109
Swabbie

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Steam, Win10 and GWX 3.0 Gold

Or the trials and tribulations of an elderly {or soon to be elderly} simmer.

I have a newer laptop. Win10. I installed steam version of Silent Hunter 3. I then downloaded and installed GWX 3.0 Gold. Icon in the right place. I load the game and it has the howling werewolf sound and screen {neat by the way}, get the GWX menu screen. Make a new U-boat commander {Stefan Dorch because I am...well....a dork}. Everything is just fine.

Then I try begin a patrol. Begins to load then CTD. Continues to CTD with everything I try. Starting with Commander and without it. New campaign or not. Administrator, compatibility mode for W7, XP sp3, XP sp2.

So I tear everything apart, re-install the game {with RUB 1.45 and a couple of other mods} and it works. So, it must be something I did wrong during installing GWX.

The only thing I can think of is GWX needs 1.4b and my game says 1.4. But I've read that steam is supposed to be the latest version.

Anybody have an idea on what I did wrong?
rockmedic109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 02:29 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm not sure, but just to clarify, if it says 1.4 then it is 1.4b. They just forgot to re-label it when they did the final release. If it works with RUB then it should work with GWX.
Old 09-02-17, 03:31 PM   #3
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

With GWX installed, if you open Mission Editor, is there any error message ?
Old 09-02-17, 03:45 PM   #4
rockmedic109
Swabbie

I never tried to open the mission editor. I guess I can delete all, reinstall and see what happens. Is there anything in particular I should look for?
Old 09-02-17, 04:10 PM   #5
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmedic109 View Post
I never tried to open the mission editor. I guess I can delete all, reinstall and see what happens. Is there anything in particular I should look for?
IIRC, there is a way to insure that you have correctly downloaded all GWX files (checking a special number for each parts) ...
Old 09-02-17, 04:29 PM   #6
rockmedic109
Swabbie

No error messages when I open Mission Editor. I opened the Barham mission and no error messages.
Old 09-02-17, 04:37 PM   #7
rockmedic109
Swabbie

More info. It crashed while in the Museum. I was flipping through the British Merchants list and I think the last one I was a Coastal Ore freighter or barge. I can't remember. This crash acted just like the others.

When loading the museum, the loading bar seemed to hang about the same area as when the campaign patrol did. I do not know if this is merely coincidence or if it has some bearing.
Old 09-03-17, 09:24 AM   #8
rockmedic109
Swabbie

I think I have it fixed. Administrator and XP sp2 compatibility on the Silent Hunter 3 with GVX 3.0 application. I must have changed the wrong file in my first attempt.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by rockmedic109; 09-03-17 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-03-17, 10:15 AM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

rockmedic109!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 02:12 PM   #10
gatordad
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Please post a follow up as to how it is going since you changed to XP Sp2 compatibility mode. I'm curious as I have had CTD issues also in GWX with Windows 10, but mine is DVD instead of Steam version.

I have mine working thus far without issues after doing a complete reinstall from DVD.

Prost!