SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-11-17, 05:02 AM   #1
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0
Default Those horizontal degree marks on your periscope

Another thing those horizontal degree marks on your periscope can do is judge distance if a ship is at a 90 degree angle on the bow to you. You can also visually fudge this.

Work in progress, I will have this done soon. This chart a copy of a German one used in wartime, cleaned up a bit so I can understand it. Hectometers! Seriously. I think they just did this so the numbers would fit on the chart.

Add a zero at the end of everything...

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 04:22 AM   #2
Leoz
Ensign

Progress. No final determination on fonts...
After this is done, I will do the one for height. (Mils, vertical scale on left of periscope). Hitman had a nice one in previous versions of the Hitman optics. Not present in the newer Hitman GUI. The German chart that I will copy isn't as good. It only increments target height by 5 meter differences starting at 10 meters and going to 60 meters in height.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 09-12-17, 09:47 AM   #3
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Not present in the newer Hitman GUI.
I think it always appeared in my GUIs, maybe you mistook it for one GUI of someone else who added some parts of mine

Your welcome to use my graphics or anything I did freely for your work if you happen to find a use for it

As for the font, I suggest the classic german gothic as it was widely used in documents from the era, as the very own Uboat commander's handbook, but you can also use the font seen in many other periscope/torpedo manuals, which is very readable. Sample:

Old 09-13-17, 04:40 AM   #4
Leoz
Ensign

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 09-13-17, 06:18 AM   #5
Leoz
Ensign

OK, ready to test when the weekend rolls around.

German

English

---

Again, this hectometer thing is what it is. If you see 8.1 add a zero for 810 meters distance to target.

If you see a 9 or a 14 (a whole number), add two zeros for 900 meters and 1400 meters distance to target respectively.

Note toward the top right, some of the 6x numbers are silly. I use a 20k environment so anything over that is no good.

I will eventually zip this up with the Excel files and graphics for anyone to use. And upload it somewhere.

In this form, you can insert it into a word processing document and print it.

I will eventually post some "how-to" examples with screen shots, of how to use this chart, once I get the mils/target height one done.

Again for this one I will go with copying the German chart as it is less precise than Hitman's.

Reason, I am getting too much tonnage on patrols as it is. I am OK with missing and screwing up attacks as well as succeeding with attacks.

Note again, this is only setup for 1.5x and 6x scopes (i.e.what they had).

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 09-18-17, 06:28 AM   #6
Leoz
Ensign

Next for this horizontal degree chart is to make some for the people that for whatever reason don't have the "historical" 1.5x and 6x scopes.

1. For the stock game or similar with the 4.5x observation/night scope I will make a 1.5x and 4.5x respectively for that scope.

2. For GWX people, like #1 above but also for the attack scope, the 1.5x and 10x

3. For the Magui people to work up a triple chart for the attack scope that also has the x12.

The 10x and 12x scopes do solve a problem in that we want people to play the game but not ruin their eyesight doing so

Once done I will then do the millirads chart for the vertical scope graphic on the left side.

#1 and #2 are also good for me because I really like the old UJAG scope setup for pre-"new scope" boats.

Example of UJag below.

Attack scope:

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM

Last edited by Leoz; 09-20-17 at 03:45 AM.