Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-15, 03:44 PM   #61
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
Finding myself gazing longingly at every Tesla I see.
GET THIS ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
310 kph in a drag race is insane in the US?
I know a guy who went that on a Autobahn in a Porsche Panamera. Now that's insane (and should be highly illegal which it unfortunately isn't...).
It's not the fact that the speed is a lot for a drag race....it's the fact that there's a modded Mustang that accelerates that fast at a 1/8 mile.
Old 01-18-15, 03:52 PM   #62
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
GET THIS ONE

It's not the fact that the speed is a lot for a drag race....it's the fact that there's a modded Mustang that accelerates that fast at a 1/8 mile.

Well if you have a V8 engine pushing 1,000hp you'll have a fairly rapidly accelerating vehicle. Not really that shocking to me personally. Also to Germans sped is a whole different ballgame. You'll see cars traveling well past 160MPH over on some sections of the autobahn.Once at night in the fall got a 1987 BMW M3 up to 235KMH(146MPH) that was just an inline 4 cylinder with a few modifications even at that speed I got passed that is actually the fastest I have even driven a vehicle that I was physically driving. Now I rode once with a German friend in a "Yellow Bird" (RUF) Porsche 911 we got to 323KMH(201MPH).

Last edited by Stealhead; 01-18-15 at 04:04 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-15, 04:59 PM   #63
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
Well if you have a V8 engine pushing 1,000hp you'll have a fairly rapidly accelerating vehicle. Not really that shocking to me personally.
Well, yes....doesn't "shock" me...but I thought it was cool enough to share.

Quote:
Also to Germans sped is a whole different ballgame. You'll see cars traveling well past 160MPH over on some sections of the autobahn.Once at night in the fall got a 1987 BMW M3 up to 235KMH(146MPH) that was just an inline 4 cylinder with a few modifications even at that speed I got passed that is actually the fastest I have even driven a vehicle that I was physically driving.
It's also a BMW....BMW is allowed to go that fast casually in a road-going 4-cylinder. I'd love to have an older M3.

They produced a 4 cylinder F1 racing engine that said squeezed out 1400HP in 1986.
Old 01-18-15, 08:22 PM   #64
Stealhead
Navy Seal

That M3 is easily my favorite past vechile I did not keep it as in order to ship a car to the US they require the car to meet FDOT emission standards for the year of manufacture and any US spec BMW is less powerful than Euro spec.

That car had outstanding steering though and a great transmission it was not a cozy car though pure performance the clutch was strong so much so that a person not used to manual transmissions would have a very hard time. But in that car I truly felt like one with the car,myself and the road. I miss driving down the hilly back roads of Rheinland-Pfalz. I drove that car many places though every western European country except the British Isles. I also drove in the Czech Reublic and Slovakia. A Slovakian cobblestone road took out the oilpan once had to pay a high price on that they knew supply and demand and for me need was high.
Old 01-18-15, 08:35 PM   #65
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
That M3 is easily my favorite past vechile I did not keep it as in order to ship a car to the US they require the car to meet FDOT emission standards for the year of manufacture and any US spec BMW is less powerful than Euro spec.
Our car import laws are the stupidest laws we have.

It's something like you have to wait 25 years after a car is discontinued before you can import it as a collectors item or something. Idk.

Quote:
That car had outstanding steering though and a great transmission it was not a cozy car though pure performance the clutch was strong so much so that a person not used to manual transmissions would have a very hard time. But in that car I truly felt like one with the car,myself and the road. I miss driving down the hilly back roads of Rheinland-Pfalz. I drove that car many places though every western European country except the British Isles. I also drove in the Czech Reublic and Slovakia. A Slovakian cobblestone road took out the oilpan once had to pay a high price on that they knew supply and demand and for me need was high.
Sounds like a perfect car. Don't need bells and whistles...just performance.
Old 01-18-15, 09:39 PM   #66
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Our car import laws are the stupidest laws we have.

It's something like you have to wait 25 years after a car is discontinued before you can import it as a collectors item or something. Idk.

Sounds like a perfect car. Don't need bells and whistles...just performance.
If the vechile is over 25 years old it is not required to met spe otherwise its hardly worth the effort.

Indeed the older BMWs where much more performance focused back then now they are posh well not as posh as a Mercedes but close. To me at leat last 80's was the stylistic peak of BMW cars.
Old 01-18-15, 10:17 PM   #67
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Indeed the older BMWs where much more performance focused back then now they are posh well not as posh as a Mercedes but close. To me at leat last 80's was the stylistic peak of BMW cars.
I agree.

Old 01-18-15, 10:27 PM   #68
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

BMW's are nice...but I'm currently drooling over this.

#109 of 200

So much want.
Old 01-18-15, 11:14 PM   #69
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Mine I called her weiss beleuchtung(white lighting) obviously you can guess the color it was a play on Okie from Muskogee "white lighting is still the biggest thrill of all".

I hope that Saleen focus is awd other wise might be a hairy drive.

Now a German car not likely to be found on anyones dream car list would be the early 80's VW Scirrico. What a crap car horrible electrical system. A buddy had one it seemed to always fail at the worst times. Might be the dash lights in a pitch dark night or the starter. We more often than not had to roll start and pop the clutch. Luckily we where either on base or could find some Germans to help us get rolling. There where several "art" if you can call it that scirricos and jettas that had custom grafitti jobs just to liven them up.

Now a fairly good but often overlooked German car is the Porsche 924\944 series (I'll personally fire bomb anyone who calls it "porsh" its not a part of your house). I knew a couple in the air force who had a 944 that they tracked on the weekends it got totaled though because they kept the track tires on it and crashed into another car in the rain.

Last edited by Stealhead; 01-18-15 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 01:19 AM   #70
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
I hope that Saleen focus is awd other wise might be a hairy drive.
The Saleen S121 actually has a less powerful engine and one less gear than my SVT. Instead of the far superior Zetec, they went for the 2.0L Duratec.

My factory tuned Zetec puts out 170HP while the base S121 puts out (I find contradicting numbers on various websites for the S121) between 140 and 160HP. The S121 N20 model comes with a nitrous system that comes on at 3000 RPM and shuts off 200 before the redline. That one puts out 225...but in short bursts and it's another tank of gas to fill.

So really, the SVT is a better car performance wise...it has more potential.

I've never been a fan of that Duratec engine. My old Focus had the Split Port Injection engine which has a bad rep among the Focus enthusiasts. I knew I wasn't going to smoke any Hondas in that old Focus...I never ran it too hard.

So far, I like the way the Zetec runs though. The SVT/Cosworth Zetec is great, IMHO.

I've beat a Honda or two.

Now, if you want to talk AWD....the next Focus RS is heavily rumored to be AWD with a turbo Ecoboost putting out ~350 HP. It's supposed to be revealed very soon. I can't wait. They're actually selling them in the US this time. The Mk1 and Mk2 RS were Euro only.

Quote:
Now a German car not likely to be found on anyones dream car list would be the early 80's VW Scirrico. What a crap car horrible electrical system. A buddy had one it seemed to always fail at the worst times.
Sounds like my Dad's old '93 GMC Sierra he used to have. He sold it for like 600$ a couple years ago. Every moving part was replaced at least twice. There was a full engine/transmission swap at one point. He only got rid of the thing when he finally cracked a piston on the second engine.

He got a 2006 Sierra after that and it runs pretty solid with the exception of the gas gauge being stuck on half a tank. I personally hate driving it because I'm used to driving a small car that can zip in and out of parking spots. When I drive a truck, I have all this unnecessary size and weight...they're just not my thing.

This makes me stick out a bit in a place run by hillbillies that put half a million miles on their 7.3 turbodiesel Fords...

Quote:
Now a fairly good but often overlooked German car is the Porsche 924\944 series (I'll personally fire bomb anyone who calls it "porsh" its not a part of your house).
I'll give it to Porsche. They make very good track cars. I've just never been a huge fan. Same with Ferrari. They make these great amazing cars...but I've just never been a huge fan. I do really like the Enzo...but the 458 is the one you hear about nowadays.
Old 01-19-15, 04:54 AM   #71
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Mine I called her weiss beleuchtung(white lighting) obviously you can guess the color it was a play on Okie from Muskogee "white lighting is still the biggest thrill of all".
Weiße Beleuchtung. (yes, German grammar sucks.)

Quote:
Now a German car not likely to be found on anyones dream car list would be the early 80's VW Scirrico.
It's called Scirocco and was a death trap from what I hear. (there is a new version out now that looks like a Golf on which an elephant had sat down).

Quote:
Now a fairly good but often overlooked German car is the Porsche 924\944 series (I'll personally fire bomb anyone who calls it "porsh" its not a part of your house). I knew a couple in the air force who had a 944 that they tracked on the weekends it got totaled though because they kept the track tires on it and crashed into another car in the rain.
Over here they were also known as bricklayer's Porsches as they were affordable for more people than just ultra rich business men.
Old 02-03-15, 05:20 PM   #72
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

bullhorn

IT'S HERE!!!

Watch

Read
Old 02-08-15, 09:36 AM   #73
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

"I wee-wee all over your puny Ford Focus RS..."
Eichhörnchen is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-15, 01:59 PM   #74
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhornchen View Post
"I wee-wee all over your puny Ford Focus RS..."
That RS may be a smaller car but it's nothing to sneeze at.

They haven't released full specs yet but they tell us to expect "well in excess of 315 horsepower"

With the torque-vectoring AWD...this is a beast of a car.
Old 02-09-15, 07:36 AM   #75
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

315 horses is a lot of power and beats my 250 by a good margin

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote