SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-18, 05:57 AM   #1
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Default Silent Thunder: The First Test of the New Game

Quote:
The test session will be held from 12:00 GMT on March 31st until 12:00 GMT on April 3rd
In the test version of the game, players will be able to try modern nuclear submarines from the three major military powers, the United States, Great Britain and Russia, where each vessel is armed with a unique selection of guided torpedoes and missiles.

The test will be held in a location inspired by the Spitzbergen ocean area, players will battle to capture one of the strategic zones, and once it’s captured cruise or ballistic missiles will be launched.

https://warthunder.com/en/news/5419-...he-new-game-en
Looks like War Thunder is adding a new mode. They were testing ships before. It's free if anyone wants to check it out. Although in no way a sim. I'm curious as to how they will do it.

War Thunder site for Silent Thunder

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 03-31-18 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added link to game site
james_nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 06:40 AM   #2
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91
Uploads: 0

Lol...

This is "April fool" event only.
But it may be quite funny there... just 20 minutes to start this mode.

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 06:48 AM   #3
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Andrev View Post
Lol...

This is "April fool" event only.
But it may be quite funny there... just 20 minutes to start this mode.
I'm not so sure. Here is the Arpil's fool event for this year: https://warthunder.com/en/news/5426-...-off-to-you-en
Old 03-31-18, 09:00 AM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Nice find, posted on the news section too.

I wonder if there is a subsim name generator somewhere....
Silent Hunter
Silent Steel
Silent Thunder
Old 03-31-18, 09:46 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default ^

Maybe they'll name one "Ahead Flank Cavitate!

Ahead Flank Cavitate: As in “let’s get the **** out of here.” That command is given and engineering is to bring the screw to full turns without regard to cavitation (creating noisy bubbles in the sea).
Midnight Cowboy would be another good one; sort of an SHV type junior-officer takes-command character where the trusted junior officer is on the midwatch:
Quote:
Midnight Cowboy: Typically, shipboard watches are allocated in three sections, where you spend six hours on watch and twelve off, for an eighteen hour day. (Don’t be fooled: those twelve hours are when you get the rest of your work done.) Sometimes, when there are enough officers to go around, the captain will pick the junior officer he trusts the most and make him the Midnight Cowboy. The midnight cowboy will take the midwatch, from midnight to 0600, night after night, breaking the normal eighteen hour day cycle.
Being the midnight cowboy means taking on a lot of responsibility. The midwatch is the only timeframe where the captain lets himself sleep, so the midwatch cowboy needs to be someone who can handle most anything himself but still knows when he needs to wake the captain up.

There are people who will tell you that being the midnight cowboy is a good deal. Those people are lying. Being the midwatch cowboy means being up for all the drills, meetings, training events, and exercises that happen during the daytime and the worst watch of the four, night after night. Midnight cowboy is not a good deal. There are no good deals. Also, Santa Claus isn’t real, Snape killed Dumbledore, and your mother never loved you...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 03:18 PM   #6
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
I'm not so sure. Here is the Arpil's fool event for this year: https://warthunder.com/en/news/5426-...-off-to-you-en
Nope - Gaijin are hard working with their naval mode (naval part of WarThunder) and this mode is on the beta-stage now.
The top "modern" planned ships is DD Fletcher. Cruisers are not confirmed.

Now they present extra modern subs? Not possible.
BTW. A few years ago Gaijin present their ships:

Not possible to play it again.

Similar to "sailing April fool" event, their "submarines" will be possible to play only till 4 of April.
Unfortunatelly.

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 03:24 PM   #7
blad3y
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 4

blad3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 03:47 PM   #8
Gunnyhwy
Swabbie

Downloads: 30
Icon14 SILENT THUNDER

Silent Thunder is in its infancy, and it is a good looking game.
In a way, it is a Tom Clancy SSN on steroids that merged with Cold Waters.
Is ST realistic?...Aherm, Aherm!...I lost track of what realistic means for games.
Is ST interesting?...Yes, it is new.
Is ST ready for consumption for the public at large?...Not yet, the controls are awkward and inaccurate.
Does ST have a future?...To my point of view, it does. If World Thunder follows the same engineering that led its development, it is a game to follow closely. Besides this is the only recent game that offers PvP in modern submarines.

Last edited by Gunnyhwy; 03-31-18 at 04:37 PM.
Gunnyhwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 08:05 PM   #9
zachanscom
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 2

the fact that they think this idea is a joke worthy just goes to show how far the industry has sunk. yeah lets make an april fools joke out of the idea because god forbid we do something challenging and make a modern version of silent hunter. instead they just make more popcorn games for the idiot masses to consume.
zachanscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 05:09 PM   #10
jaop99
Loader

Downloads: 25

The game is good to have fun for a while, nothing serious, everyone flying underwater at flank speed!, is like the air game but with water and submarines! Cold waters is more better by far, the only problem is single player.
jaop99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-18, 10:20 AM   #11
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 42

War Thunder does an April Fool's event each year. Early on the events were a little more top to bottom silly (flying horses that shot lasers, a giant snail, WWII robot tanks). In the last few years, the April Fool's events seem to have served as a tech demos for upcoming game features.

In 2016, they had sailing vessels that preceded the beta testing of naval forces, presumably to get some feedback on water physics and naval artillery dynamics.

In 2017, they introduced "Rank IX" (at the time vehicles only went to Rank V) with modern tanks (Leopard 2A5 and T72, I think) and helicopters. Since then, they have introduced Rank VI vehicles which takes the game up to the early 70's (original M1 Abrams and T64). So the "joke" was Rank IX, but the tech demo (modern vehicles) was real.

I think the WT players all assume that "Silent Thunder" the game is a joke, but that submarines in general (quite possibly WWII era subs) could likely be introduced to WT Naval forces at some point. So I do not think that Gaijin thinks that subs are a joke at all.

They are not perfect by any means, but in general, Gaijin is one of the few companies working to make a "realistic" wargame that can appeal to more than just the hardcore. I am not sure it's fair to say they are not making challenging content for their flagship game.

Mike
Mike Abberton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 12:06 AM   #12
moose1am
Frogman

Downloads: 0
Default If they make it well will come.

I would play it if they had WWII sub in there with the other ships, tanks, and planes. It would be something to behold IMHO. I wish that someone would combine Airplanes, ships and land vehicles into one WWII Massive Multiplayer Game in Simulation mode.

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 08:43 AM   #13
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 42

Gaijin has a track record where the specific nature of the April Fool's tech displays are not always exactly what the eventual in-game product becomes.

For example, the 2016 April Fool's event was sailing ships, when it was really a tech demonstrator/test of water physics in general. The actual in-game ship content started as PT-type boats and has extended up to destroyers right now. Much of the ship beta testing has included planes of some sort, typically bombers and torpedo bombers.

It is likely that if subs do enter into the game, they will probably start as WWII-era platforms rather than cold war platforms. And the surface ships already have depth charges....
Mike Abberton is offline   Reply With Quote