SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-23, 05:47 PM   #451
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

First game after the last update.

Late morning, I crawl out of the tent and get instantly mauled by a bear, and before I stopped thinking "WTF?" there comes a group of running moose and I am taken on the horns, first by one and then by the next. Makes three health losses in a row (game not even 30 seconds old), the health bar does not look good. While the herd disappears, a pack of wolves turns on their music and starts to party - in daylight ?! That was news to me, think I never met them in daylight before. Still badly injured, I save myself by running to the high seat near which I had camped, and climb up. The wolves came to stay. Most of the day I sit up there, because I didn't get to reload, I had only two cartridges, while it rumbles and growls around me in the forest. I go to the kitchen - in real life - and make dinner, also in rela life. I eat and watch some TV. As the sun disappears in the game, calm returns, I venture back down, crawl back into the tent, get the medikit and heal myself, load ammo and sleep to pass the night before saving the game. What a session.

Am I supposed to feel properly entertained now...?
Old 03-27-23, 07:02 AM   #452
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

That's what I've been saying

Bear, moose and wolves? Yukon? Medved?

Those wolves aren't fooling around, and anything else might run you over too, as you say.
Old 03-27-23, 11:12 AM   #453
Skybird
Soaring

Yukon.

I think it was a glitch.

First, I never have Moose in herds like Wapitis, they walk alone. And the charge bonly when beign attacked before, I think it were simple random collisions that the game produces so happily and often.

Second, the Wolves, staying around all day and making noise, but soon being invisible again? They probbaly were gone ,a dn the echo sound stayed.

There have been sound bugs before in the game's history.

Anyway, it was a tale to tell, I think. I will never go sleeping and saving again without having uploaded ammo first...
Old 03-31-23, 09:47 PM   #454
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65

I just started using Tobii eye tracker in THCOTW. I have both head tracking and eye tracking on, both at default speed. My FoV is set to 63, which is about right, and I have max yaw for the Tobii set at 70 degrees.

It takes a bit of getting acclimated to it, but once you're used to it, it's a very nice addition to the game. I wish the game had a VR option, but the Tobii is sort of the next best thing.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 04:31 AM   #455
Skybird
Soaring

I only heard of it. How does it compare to TrackIR?
Old 04-02-23, 12:49 PM   #456
Oubaas
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I only heard of it. How does it compare to TrackIR?
They're similar, but Tobii is more advanced. I own both, so I do have the ability to compare.

Tobii has less encumbrance. You don't have to wear anything on your head. It has just a small strip that you attach to the bottom edge of your monitor and plug into a USB slot. Normally, you don't even notice it. If you launch a game that uses it, a couple of red lights come on, otherwise it stays dark.

You can adjust FoV, maximum yaw angle, and speed. Everything is done by that small, unintrusive strip at the bottom edge of your monitor. There is a minimalist mounting frame that attaches with a strong adhesive backing to your monitor. The electronic strip then fits to that with magnets, so if you need to adjust it, or just want it out of the way temporarily, you can just pull it off and set it aside. But it's so small, I've never had to move it.

Tobii tracks both head movement, like TrackIR, and eye movement. You can use both, or disable one or the other. I like both enabled. The head tracking works much like TrackIR, without the head unit. The Tobii just sees you and moves with your head in-game.

With eye-tracking enabled, you can keep your head still and just glance to the side with your eyes, and in-game you get the same effect as doing it in real life.

In THCOTW, if you raise your rifle and look through your scope, it leaves you in peace and does not interfere. But when you're not aiming, it's quite helpful for just normal looking around, tracking, and stalking animals.

THCOTW has built-in Tobii support. I also play ArmA II with it, and the Tony Stewart racing games have built-in support. There are quite a few supported games. I like it. Next best thing to VR. I've retired my TrackIR 5 Pro setup.

Tobii Eye Tracker Website

Old 04-02-23, 05:12 PM   #457
Skybird
Soaring

Thank you. Sounds as if I need good light in my face and especially eyes, else it cannot track them...?! So playing in the evening in a more darker, cozy room may not work properly?
Old 04-03-23, 12:02 AM   #458
Oubaas
中国水兵

Quote:
Thank you. Sounds as if I need good light in my face and especially eyes, else it cannot track them...?! So playing in the evening in a more darker, cozy room may not work properly?
Actually, low light doesn't seem to affect it. At least not as much as my Oculus Rift S. I've never had it cut out, and my gaming machine and desk occupy a corner of our bedroom. I often play in the evening, in low light conditions, with no problems encountered so far.

Old 04-12-23, 01:29 PM   #459
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Preserve that attitude and recall it next time you embark on one of your flight sims. You then can save time by immediately switching off your computer instead of wasting your time with not smelling the kerosin, not doing the radio comms and not feeling the Gs and not doing accurate paper work before and after the flight. What worth is a flight sim without fresh filled vomit bags? Doesn't deserve to be called a sim then.

It's all about running head movies.
Grab your passport and come over, I'll take you hunting, mate.
Old 06-20-23, 05:48 AM   #460
Skybird
Soaring

Its out, price -20%.