Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 07-03-16, 03:13 PM   #1
Flaskegaard
Medic

Downloads: 847
Uploads: 0
Default Looking for tank game for Windows 10.

Greetings,
The last tank game I played was PANZER COMMANDER for Windows 95 many, many years ago. The graphics left much to be desired, but I really enjoyed the player interface, where you could create almost any scenario you wanted, and had an impressive list of tanks and assault guns to choose from. You could even go into the files, and change the tanks in the career section if you so wished.
Well, as you know, we are leaps and bounds from Windows 95. Are there any similar tank games to PANZER COMMANDER that can be played on Windows 10? If so, where can I review them, and/or purchase them? I wish to find a PC tank game like PANZER COMMANDER where you can choose from the major tank combatants, USSR, Germany, British, US, even Japan, if anything like that exists......

Last edited by Flaskegaard; 07-04-16 at 12:53 AM.

Old 07-07-16, 11:10 PM   #2
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Default WW2 Sim

Then I recommend you try Steel Fury Kharkov 1942 with over 100 missions, weather mods, over 90 maps , 80 or more WW2 vehicles German, Soviet, US and British including the Pershing, the Tiger I and II, the JS-2 and 3, T 34/85, Panther Ausf A, D, G and F, Many variants of the Sherman, Cromwell, Firefly, Stugs, Jadg panther and Jagdpanzer IV, SU-85, 100 etc . Many interiors( not all) modded ... It works well with Windows 10 I have it on 3 laptops and pcs with Win 10.

Here's the link:http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/forum
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-16, 01:20 AM   #3
Flaskegaard
Medic

Many thanks, Frinik!
Flaskegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-16, 02:45 PM   #4
33lima
Planesman

Downloads: 27

These and other videos will give you an impression of how Steel Fury plays - first video mostly stock, the others illustrating kit and missions available with mods.

Steel Fury doesn't really give you much of sense of player persona or the unit you're serving with - the stock campaigns are decent, but fairly impersonal compared to PzC. The additional missions are mostly that - single missions. A few are tied together into campaigns. Some of these, like Schulze's Diary (first two screenshots below) and the movie based Fury campaign (third screenshot), attempt to provide a more immersive approach.

Last edited by 33lima; 07-13-16 at 07:58 AM.
33lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 11:05 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

If you are fixiated on WWII, well, then that is like that.

If you want a simulation of mechanised ground warfare tactics and armoured combat vehicles 50's-present, there is only one contender: Steel Beasts Pro.

Sticky at the top of the forum list.

Over one dozen armies int he wEst use it for crew training. The software is practcially identical, just enriched with even greater maps of often classified nature, and an interface for the external instructors.

Be advised that that sticky is no longer updated by me. SBP now is on version 3.0, and 4.0 is just coming out these days, with massive additions, improvements, and new, smoother terrain engine. Youtube holds many SBP videos, but always check the date they were mnade at, and the verison. The differences in gameplay and features and graphics can be massive.

eSim links in that sticky.

3.0 is on sale I read. 4.0 is coming soon, any day. I would wait for 4.0.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-13-16 at 11:55 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 06:02 PM   #6
33lima
Planesman

PS some of the types of kit available with Steel Fury's STA mod are illustrated here:

http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t22-avai...its-in-sta-mod

I think all the AFVs are playable, tho some will have only a few missions with them as the player's mount.

Panzer Elite with the PP2x or PE3 mods is also worth considering; the graphics are better with the mods but still dated, though platoon command and control and radio traffic are both much better represented than in Steel Fury. Frinik can maybe confirm it runs under Win 10:

If post-WW2 tanking is an interest, an option worth considering is Steel Armour - Blaze of War - just two playable tanks (M60A1 and T-62) and it doesn't have Steel Beasts classic NATO-v-WARPAC setting but technically it's very good, especially as the developers have updated the original version.

Last edited by 33lima; 07-13-16 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-16-16, 11:44 AM   #7
Flaskegaard
Medic

Where do I purchase this game? Online?, or at a retailer?
Flaskegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 05:38 PM   #8
33lima
Planesman

Steel Fury is readily available now at Gamersgate...

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SFURY/s...y-kharkov-1942

...as is Steel Armor - Blaze of War. SABOW is also available on Steam. The GG and Steam versions of SABOW are fully patched by developers Graviteam, with the latest features; the DVD version, from a different publisher, can be had in some shops but isn't.

The STA mod for SF is available at the link Frinik posted. It's a 'must have' - the basic game just has a handful of playable tanks and just the one setting, all the other stuff comes with the mods, the STA one being the latest and greatest. IIRC you need to register on the STA forum, for all the links to the necessary files to work. Be sure to follow the install order, using Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler to activate the different components exactly in the order indicated here: http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t20-how-to-install-sta-mod

Good hunting!