SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-11-17, 08:23 PM   #1321
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

and when you get it figured out,, you can get this

yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 09:26 AM   #1322
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499

When installing silent editor i get this Error 1001.Exception occured while initializing the instalation:
System.ArgumentException.:string cannot have zero lengh

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 09:25 AM   #1323
Niume
Sea Lord

Bump

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

Old 04-24-19, 12:30 PM   #1324
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

OK - I'm going to bore you-all with needless detail, but it's a funny story. s7rikeback and myself were just discussing this very error message via PM. I just got a new laptop yesterday, to replace my poor old 6 year old Dell that the hard drive crashed in a few weeks ago. I put my UPlay SH4 on this new beast, and my Steam SH3 & SH5. All function as intended. They all run excellently in the new beast. So I started to bring in my modding stuff. Imagine my horror when I could NOT get Silent 3Ditor to run! Same message. Missing DirectX components, and it would then open my web browser (did I say you could do that??) and take me to the DirectX download page. I'd run the web installer. I'd download and run the full package. Every time, it would fail. So while browsing through the computer and going into every nook and cranny I could find on the thing, trying to find my dotNet Framework installs and "test" them. Trying to find the DirectX files, and which ones are in there? When I came upon the "Windows Features", which is different in Win10 than it was in Win7 or XP, to say the least. Anyway, looking through there, you can see which components of a Windows install are active or not. So I've got a couple of dotNet installs, IE11 (how unimpressive), etc., and down in slot #6 is a "Legacy Components" checkbox that is empty. I click on the title, and under it is Direct Play, which is part of DirectX... - I tick those two boxes and tried S3Ditor again. Still failed with the missing DirectX files. So I then took my SH4 Gold DVD and got the DirectX9c install files off of it (same files as the MS download), set the installer to WinXP compatibility and Run as Administrator. The DirectX9c install completed successfully now, and after a re-start, I tried S3Ditor again and it failed again. So I ran its msi installer again, which brings up a "Repair or Remove?" dialog. I chose "repair" and lo and behold, it worked! Sixteen hours of messing with this... I don't know whether to think myself thick for not having found it sooner, or whether to pat myself on the back for having found it at all... web searches do little to nothing for you. "Oh, windows already has all the components it needs to run all games. If the game doesn't run, talk to the author and have them update the game for you." ee-yeah, right... So try that "Legacy Components / Direct Play" thing, then do the DirectXv9c install again, then do an S3Ditor repair, cross your fingers, and maybe it'll do it for you too! This machine has Build 1809, 17763.437, and just updated itself today when I forced it to, and had dotNet v4.8 because of that, and still wouldn't install DirectXv9c. I do not understand how all of my Silent Hunter games would work fine, but S3Ditor would not... Sorry 'bout the verbosity - I've had too much coffee trying to get this to go!...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 03:41 PM   #1325
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK - I'm going to bore you-all with needless detail, but it's a funny story. s7rikeback and myself were just discussing this very error message via PM. I just got a new laptop yesterday, to replace my poor old 6 year old Dell that the hard drive crashed in a few weeks ago. I put my UPlay SH4 on this new beast, and my Steam SH3 & SH5. All function as intended. They all run excellently in the new beast. So I started to bring in my modding stuff. Imagine my horror when I could NOT get Silent 3Ditor to run! Same message. Missing DirectX components, and it would then open my web browser (did I say you could do that??) and take me to the DirectX download page. I'd run the web installer. I'd download and run the full package. Every time, it would fail. So while browsing through the computer and going into every nook and cranny I could find on the thing, trying to find my dotNet Framework installs and "test" them. Trying to find the DirectX files, and which ones are in there? When I came upon the "Windows Features", which is different in Win10 than it was in Win7 or XP, to say the least. Anyway, looking through there, you can see which components of a Windows install are active or not. So I've got a couple of dotNet installs, IE11 (how unimpressive), etc., and down in slot #6 is a "Legacy Components" checkbox that is empty. I click on the title, and under it is Direct Play, which is part of DirectX... - I tick those two boxes and tried S3Ditor again. Still failed with the missing DirectX files. So I then took my SH4 Gold DVD and got the DirectX9c install files off of it (same files as the MS download), set the installer to WinXP compatibility and Run as Administrator. The DirectX9c install completed successfully now, and after a re-start, I tried S3Ditor again and it failed again. So I ran its msi installer again, which brings up a "Repair or Remove?" dialog. I chose "repair" and lo and behold, it worked! Sixteen hours of messing with this... I don't know whether to think myself thick for not having found it sooner, or whether to pat myself on the back for having found it at all... web searches do little to nothing for you. "Oh, windows already has all the components it needs to run all games. If the game doesn't run, talk to the author and have them update the game for you." ee-yeah, right... So try that "Legacy Components / Direct Play" thing, then do the DirectXv9c install again, then do an S3Ditor repair, cross your fingers, and maybe it'll do it for you too! This machine has Build 1809, 17763.437, and just updated itself today when I forced it to, and had dotNet v4.8 because of that, and still wouldn't install DirectXv9c. I do not understand how all of my Silent Hunter games would work fine, but S3Ditor would not... Sorry 'bout the verbosity - I've had too much coffee trying to get this to go!...

Congratulations on the new system! Yea, sadly it seems Microsoft is pushing really hard now to obsolete lots of old games to push people to purchase new OSs (Or atleast that's how I see it. And I like/ed Microsoft).

Fortunately for us there are options out there where you can emulate old OSs and stuff on newer systems.

But at the end of the day I'll never forgive them for throwing away XP the way they did. 64bit was not ever close to being consumer ready. It took a few years, but MS didn't care, they wanted everyone on the horrid Windows 8 system.

Things like this are why I don't have any friends who work as Software Engineers.

Don't feel thick, they design it that way. You are not supposed to be able to enjoy your 40 years worth of video games on the PC anymore.
Old 04-24-19, 05:09 PM   #1326
The Kraken Wakes
Watch

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Well Done 10 out of 10

PropBeanie,
well done, I wasn't bored at all with your software glitch report and I think you showed real grit and tenacity here.
As a consolation for your 16 hours, maybe your post will help 100 people, then you have sorted those out on an average of 9.6 minutes !

Couple of daft questions ( I am quite new)

1. I want to change my deck gun on the Gato, I really dont care about upgrade dates, I am sick and tired of them. By changing the entries to NULL I can often bypass the restrictions. But I cant get the 5.25 bow and stern or the 40mm twin flak guns bow and stern. And that 40mm quadruple flak gun you can get on land would be cool.
I feel as if it should be a text mod to a upc somewhere ?

2. I would like to increase the explosive force of my deck gun shells but when you look at the list in shells.zon there are loads, and none of them say what they are. How can I identify one particular shell so I can change it ?

2. I spent 6 hours today trying to get enemy ships to respawn after they had been sunk. The mission editor has a spawn feature but I cant make it work.

Apologies if I am relatively dim...
The Kraken Wakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-19, 02:56 AM   #1327
Niume
Sea Lord

When installing silent editor i get this Error 1001.Exception occured while initializing the instalation:
System.ArgumentException.:string cannot have zero lenght

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

Old 04-26-19, 02:30 PM   #1328
propbeanie

Wait - did you have "Silent3Ditor Configurator (S3D-CFG)" installed on top of S3ditor? If S3Ditor is un-installed, the Configurator cannot be removed. With the Configurator still in there, S3Ditor cannot re-install. It's a Catch-ah 22-ah... I cannot remember now what-all I had to do for that, but I did do a ~lot~ of Windows registry editing, searching on skwas, S3Ditor, Silent3Ditor, Configurator, etc... Once all traces were gone, then I could re-install S3Ditor... ?? That was on my Win7-64 quad-core beast.

Old 04-29-19, 11:50 AM   #1329
Niume
Sea Lord

Quote:
Wait - did you have "Silent3Ditor Configurator (S3D-CFG)" installed on top of S3ditor? If S3Ditor is un-installed, the Configurator cannot be removed. With the Configurator still in there, S3Ditor cannot re-install. It's a Catch-ah 22-ah... I cannot remember now what-all I had to do for that, but I did do a ~lot~ of Windows registry editing, searching on skwas, S3Ditor, Silent3Ditor, Configurator, etc... Once all traces were gone, then I could re-install S3Ditor... ?? That was on my Win7-64 quad-core beast.
No I don't have it.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

Old 04-30-19, 02:53 PM   #1330
propbeanie

do you have Windows 10? Have you looked at the Windows components to see if DirectPlay is enabled? It does almost sound like something else though... you could look in "X:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp" (a hidden folder) and see if you see leftover S3Ditor install files... The "X" stands for whatever drive you have your Users folders, UserName is whatever your UserName is, and to "unhide" system folders, you would use "Folder Options", the "View" tab, and tick the "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" radio button. That is also a long-shot though...

Old 04-30-19, 03:22 PM   #1331
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kraken Wakes View Post
PropBeanie,
well done, I wasn't bored at all with your software glitch report and I think you showed real grit and tenacity here.
As a consolation for your 16 hours, maybe your post will help 100 people, then you have sorted those out on an average of 9.6 minutes !

Couple of daft questions ( I am quite new)

1. I want to change my deck gun on the Gato, I really dont care about upgrade dates, I am sick and tired of them. By changing the entries to NULL I can often bypass the restrictions. But I cant get the 5.25 bow and stern or the 40mm twin flak guns bow and stern. And that 40mm quadruple flak gun you can get on land would be cool.
I feel as if it should be a text mod to a upc somewhere ?
availability for this feature should be controlled by

\Data\UPCData\UPCUnitsData\UpgradePacks.UPC.
have you modified this file?

Quote:
2. I would like to increase the explosive force of my deck gun shells but when you look at the list in shells.zon there are loads, and none of them say what they are. How can I identify one particular shell so I can change it ?
there is no easy way to identify shells in either Shells.Sim or Shells.Zon.
try this explanation from 2009 and see if it makes sense to you.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...?do=file&id=47

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 03:06 AM   #1332
Niume
Sea Lord

Quote:
do you have Windows 10? Have you looked at the Windows components to see if DirectPlay is enabled? It does almost sound like something else though... you could look in "X:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp" (a hidden folder) and see if you see leftover S3Ditor install files... The "X" stands for whatever drive you have your Users folders, UserName is whatever your UserName is, and to "unhide" system folders, you would use "Folder Options", the "View" tab, and tick the "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" radio button. That is also a long-shot though...
I have windows 7 I can't see legacy components. Tried deleting temp files still no luck. maybe it's something with registry? Does anyone have a older version maybe?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

Last edited by Niume; 05-01-19 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-07-19, 06:46 AM   #1333
Rosomaha
Loader

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 1

Hello.
I bought a new video card, completely switched to DirectX 12 support. But after that, S3Ditor had display problems in the viewer - black spots on textures at a distance from 3dmodell. I changed various 3D settings Nvidia - does not help. On the old DX 9-10 job card everything worked fine.
Windows 10 system, Nvidia ASUS video card series.

Has anyone come across this?
Rosomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-19, 06:19 PM   #1334
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosomaha View Post
Hello.
I bought a new video card, completely switched to DirectX 12 support. But after that, S3Ditor had display problems in the viewer - black spots on textures at a distance from 3dmodell. I changed various 3D settings Nvidia - does not help. On the old DX 9-10 job card everything worked fine.
Windows 10 system, Nvidia ASUS video card series.

Has anyone come across this?

I have similar problems. It doesn't bother me much because I apply the .tga or .dds texture to the model in Wings3d in another window on my desktop, so I can see what it looks like without the distortions. In another window, I run Silent 3ditor and make whatever changes I want. Not an ideal solution, but it works.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-19, 06:14 PM   #1335
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

For the nerds amongst us!

[REL] S3D file parsers open sourced

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho....php?p=2621805

Enjoy!
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote