SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-12, 09:14 PM   #31
DelphiUniverse
中国水兵

Downloads: 125
Uploads: 0

The only problem with the download limit, is if you are clicking a mod, you get to the download section and accidentially click the download link and it starts, you cancel it and lose 1 download for that day. Or if you have a tab open, close the browser, reopen the browser and the download auto starts, losing another download for the day, hehe.

I've had at least 3 accidents of clicking the download link when I shouldn't have. I have no clue how I managed to do that, I am usually very good at controlling my mouse cursor, but it just happened. It might have had something to do with how items are placed when the page is loading, you click some place and the click is generated another place as the page is loaded, due to relocations of objects.
Old 08-14-12, 09:22 AM   #32
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

well those things happen but other then a new member who has no mods at all, who is really in need of more then 10 downloads a day or as in your example did you still need more then the 7 downloads you had left?

the limit is 10 because with very rare exceptions its more then the average member would ever need in one day

when you download a mod, save it then put it on a disk so you never need to download it again, thats what i usually do.
Old 08-21-12, 08:27 AM   #33
tankslapper
Nub

Downloads: 20

I just came up against this, and it is quite frustrating. The time when people are going to want to download most is when they first acquire the game, see a bunch of useful mods like Sober's list and then find they can't actually get it.

Maybe there should be a way to list a mirror alongside the file hosted here, so that someone uploading a mod has the option to put a link to one of the file locker sites.
tankslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 08:34 AM   #34
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Google is your best friend..

And Welcome aboard tankslapper!

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 10:44 AM   #35
tankslapper
Nub

Thanks. I've found a few of the mods via Google, but still missing a few. I've got enough to have a play with for now anyway.
Old 08-21-12, 11:05 AM   #36
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankslapper View Post
Maybe there should be a way to list a mirror alongside the file hosted here, so that someone uploading a mod has the option to put a link to one of the file locker sites.
that is up to the modder, you can list anything you want as long as it isnt spam.

i like many other modders upload my mods here as well as another site so there is always more then one option availible to people. unfortunately gamefront is in the habbit of removing uploads that dont get regular downloads so most of my mods were deleted by them from my download page there.

all too often its not easy to get a totally free site to host your mods without requiring people join to be able to download or even worse have paid memberships.

the places out there that are completely free and easy to access by the public can be hard to find, they just arent that many dependable choices out there.
Old 08-21-12, 11:20 AM   #37
tankslapper
Nub

Dropbox has a file sharing capability - it provides a link that you can give to people to download a particular file. Maximum file size is 300Mb, and 10Gb a day traffic.
Old 08-21-12, 12:05 PM   #38
Optimus23
Swabbie

Downloads: 94

yeah thats indeed a long waiting time.....
Optimus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 12:16 PM   #39
Angryson
Nub

Downloads: 29

dropbox ftw.
Now I'm off to go make some useless posts so that I can d/l again.
Angryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 12:49 PM   #40
deadmoon
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 33
Default My 2 cents worth of 10 downloads.

I just wanted to weigh in on the 3/10 download limit imposed by this site. Your requirement that I post something, just so that I can d/l an extra few items per day must have a purpose. If it's to foster community it may work for some, but for others it will mean posting something just to gain a few extra downloads. Happily I can voice my distaste at your d/l limits and gain my extra d/l's per day all at the same time. Not sure if that's a win win or not?
deadmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 12:58 PM   #41
Zanarkin
Seaman

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoon View Post
I just wanted to weigh in on the 3/10 download limit imposed by this site. Your requirement that I post something, just so that I can d/l an extra few items per day must have a purpose. If it's to foster community it may work for some, but for others it will mean posting something just to gain a few extra downloads. Happily I can voice my distaste at your d/l limits and gain my extra d/l's per day all at the same time. Not sure if that's a win win or not?
Would you like me to reply to your comment by saying it makes a lot of sense so you can reply to me and say thanks for my input? lol
Zanarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 01:21 PM   #42
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Yeah, it's just unreasonable to ask that you come along and introduce yourselves after getting all of these free downloads. Just monsterous.

Sense of entitlement much?
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 01:31 PM   #43
Zanarkin
Seaman

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
Yeah, it's just unreasonable to ask that you come along and introduce yourselves after getting all of these free downloads. Just monsterous.

Sense of entitlement much?
Just by replying to each mod thread that you downloaded and saying thanks is a super easy way to show support and increase your post count....better than increasing it with angry posts anyway
Zanarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 02:34 PM   #44
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkin View Post
Just by replying to each mod thread that you downloaded and saying thanks is a super easy way to show support and increase your post count....better than increasing it with angry posts anyway
An excellent idea.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 02:36 PM   #45
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoon View Post
would you like to pay for this site and help maintain it - http://www.subsim.com/sh2fleet_forms/donation.htm here is donation link for example. And maybe if there is enough money there the limit is raised.

And, tbh, ppl like you should be immediately cut off from downloads - insulting self-serving people don't deserve the amount of work modders put into making this game awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkin View Post
Agree.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote