SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-20-09, 04:24 AM   #1
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default A concern for sub launched anti ship missile in DWX 1.0

The SSN-27 Alfa and Tomahawk cruise missiles never lock onto any target.
Am I doing something wrong?
Old 10-20-09, 08:32 AM   #2
:FI:Rabitski
Mate

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

I'm finding the same thing Castout, the Alpha seems slightly better but Harpoons couldn't knock out a man in a fishing boat, if he were armed with a shotgun as defence. Noticed this on RA before and made a commint about it to be informed I was firing them @ to short a range (which I wasn't but there you go)
:FI:Rabitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-09, 10:09 AM   #3
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by :FI:Rabitski View Post
I'm finding the same thing Castout, the Alpha seems slightly better but Harpoons couldn't knock out a man in a fishing boat, if he were armed with a shotgun as defence. Noticed this on RA before and made a commint about it to be informed I was firing them @ to short a range (which I wasn't but there you go)

Well its possibile that the Harpoon can't acquire a target as small as a fishing boat.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-09, 01:05 PM   #4
:FI:Rabitski
Mate

Downloads: 26

I was being sarcastic
:FI:Rabitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-09, 08:11 PM   #5
Castout
Silent Hunter

My targets were both carriers, the missiles went past within about 6 nm of it and I set my seeker range even to 20nm to ensure proper lock on but all of them just flew by without changing its course to the intended target
Old 10-21-09, 12:39 AM   #6
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
My targets were both carriers, the missiles went past within about 6 nm of it and I set my seeker range even to 20nm to ensure proper lock on but all of them just flew by without changing its course to the intended target
Your target designation was off so much the CPA was SIX nautical miles? Are you sure the target really IS in seeker FOV?
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 01:05 AM   #7
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

I just tried a scenario against two Godavari FFG. I used both Harpoon and TASM. In both cases, the missile FOV was pretty narrow. I separated missiles in 1 degree increments for the spread. Some of the ones on the wider FOV (approx. 2 degrees) failed to locate the ships. But the other ones targeted closer were able to find the target ships and steer toward them for the kill. It seems like there is not alot of room for error in missile presets. I also believe the FOV is more narrow than it should be for accuracy.

I know...not a good explanation. But I have no hard numbers, just an observation from a simple test. Still gotta try the Russian missiles.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 08:36 PM   #8
Castout
Silent Hunter

I suspected that too that the FOV of the onboard cruise missile is not so far and wide.

But the saddest thing is even when I designate a surface target for these missiles, their trajectory will always result in significant deviation from the trajectory they supposed to follow in order to intercept the targeted ship properly. So in the end the missiles just went by without locking on to any target at all. The missiles don't seem to take into account the targeted ship vector.
Old 10-23-09, 08:48 PM   #9
Castout
Silent Hunter

Well playing as a surface force against submarine forces proved to me that in short ranges(5-10nm) the missiles have no trouble locking onto their target.

Just that in far longer ranges such as 100nm the missiles trajectory doesn't take into account the target movement vector.
Old 10-24-09, 12:23 AM   #10
dd149
Soundman

Downloads: 183

I also find the behavior slightly changed but didn't check the doctrines versions yet. It seems the missile is always behind the target, but cant remember if it was the case with stock game or Lwami, any other opinions?
dd149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 12:36 AM   #11
dd149
Soundman

Downloads: 183

I think that these missiles (TASM Harpoon and counterparts) are using torpedo doctrines? It was linked to some bug with CIWS of the OHP , which didn't shoot at them as seen as torpedoes.
dd149 is offline   Reply With Quote