SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-09, 10:58 AM   #1
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Default As requested NEW KILOs

I still need to add tube doors (need help on that to anyone reading this) and a few more details but they look great in game.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 11:31 AM   #2
nemo67
Watch

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

You want that the tube doors open or just texture?
Old 05-05-09, 11:32 AM   #3
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo67 View Post
You want that the tube doors open or just texture?
I what opening tube doors.

Old 05-05-09, 03:45 PM   #4
Spookymufu
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

looks good!
Old 05-05-09, 04:51 PM   #5
nemo67
Watch

Downloads: 9

Requires that the doors are on a different meshes that the body of the submarine.
Old 05-05-09, 07:48 PM   #6
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Wow, looking really good TLAM and... hey that's the Alrosa! Sweet.

Your getting pretty good. Better watch out or peeps might start soliticiting you for work
Old 05-06-09, 08:27 AM   #7
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Oh cool!! here comes my favourite sub in DW

I guess those are for LWAMI 3.1, or will you release the model updates independenty?

Nice from you to make the Alrosa, I guess we can add it as playable in LWAMI as we already discussed some time ago (That one and the old 688 are just versions of already playable boats, so it should be OK with SCS)

As far as I know the Alrosa is of course quieter than a normal 877, probably like a 636, but is reportedly less manuverable at slow speeds. I guess that can be replicated well in the game?
Old 05-06-09, 11:15 AM   #8
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Oh cool!! here comes my favourite sub in DW

I guess those are for LWAMI 3.1, or will you release the model updates independenty?

Nice from you to make the Alrosa, I guess we can add it as playable in LWAMI as we already discussed some time ago (That one and the old 688 are just versions of already playable boats, so it should be OK with SCS)

As far as I know the Alrosa is of course quieter than a normal 877, probably like a 636, but is reportedly less manuverable at slow speeds. I guess that can be replicated well in the game?
Yes these will be for the next LWAMI.

The new Alrosa will be playable complete with its own acoustic signature and handeling characteristics (although I'm not sure if being less manuverable at low speed is possable just less manuverable at all speeds).

Am I correct in assuming that the Alrosa would also be slightly slower than a standard 877 class due to the pumpjet?

Also good news i sucessfully cut the tube doors in the mesh. I just need to add the tubes and tweek the shutter doors so they open properly. Then I'm going to remake the aft dive planes so they are more accurate based on some new photos I found via google.

Old 05-06-09, 01:38 PM   #9
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I think we might be getting ahead of ourselves here.

Now maybe I'm wrong and looking at posts that are out of date, but my understanding is that new playable OBJECTS can't be added.

You can mod the hell out of an existing DB object and turn it into something else, but a new object added won't be playable. Which means to add a different Alrosa, you'd have to sacrifice another database object to turn it into the new Alrosa. In practical effect, you'd be sacrificing an entire playable class.
Old 05-06-09, 11:27 PM   #10
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
I think we might be getting ahead of ourselves here.

Now maybe I'm wrong and looking at posts that are out of date, but my understanding is that new playable OBJECTS can't be added.

You can mod the hell out of an existing DB object and turn it into something else, but a new object added won't be playable. Which means to add a different Alrosa, you'd have to sacrifice another database object to turn it into the new Alrosa. In practical effect, you'd be sacrificing an entire playable class.
I just confirmed with LW. A playable Alrosa with a new model isn't going to happen. We can still make a duplicate AI one with the new model tho.
Old 05-07-09, 08:04 AM   #11
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Why not sacrifice one of the playable kilo already in the game.
Right now we have 2 kilo class subs, the 877 and 636.
Get rid of one of these and replace it with the Alrosa.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 09:42 AM   #12
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Because it does not make sense to remove an entire class just to get one boat.
Old 05-07-09, 09:56 AM   #13
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
Because it does not make sense to remove an entire class just to get one boat.

But you're not eliminating all the playable kilos just to make room for the Alrosa. You're eliminating either the playable 877 kilo or the playable 636 kilo not both. Maybe I just don't understand what the problem is.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 12:06 PM   #14
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

My guess is that you either think the Project 877 and Project 636 are individual submarines or that you think they are the same because they both share the name Kilo. Neither is true. The Project 877 and Project 636 are distinct submarines classes with different specifications, with several individual submarines in each class. The Alrosa is a modified Project 877, just one sub out of 11 Russian Project 877s in DW.
Old 05-07-09, 12:38 PM   #15
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

EDIT:

OK, here's an idea. The next release could have two database versions. The standard database has a playable 877 class and a new nonplayable 877-mod class consisting of the Alrosa. We throw in a special database that changes the playable 877 class to the 877-mod class, and create a nonplayable 877 class. You use the special database if and only if you're going to load a mission where someone plays as the Alrosa and there are no other playable 877s around. (Note that this special database will not be compatible with missions made with 877 Kilos other than the Alrosa).

I was thinking for a moment that this wouldn't work because you'd need to swap models, but really, you just need to change the model referenced in the database, and that's easy.

Come to think of it, this concept sounds familiar. I wonder... is this how SCU worked? Well, if it is, I'm not going to care in this instance. As far as I'm concerned, we are fixing an existing playable because the Alrosa has been in the stock database since the day DW was released, it just had the wrong model and spec's.

Last edited by Molon Labe; 05-07-09 at 01:09 PM.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote