SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-02-11, 04:57 PM   #1
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default SubAtkSub Doctrine

I've played a little with the SubAtkSub Doctrine (RA Mod, but I think LWAMI is not that much different in the area) since I am not so satisfied with the AI handling attacking subs.

Especially if the AI attacks with long-range torpedoes, the attacked sub can often evade due to the fact that unfortunately the AI cannot guide the wired torpedoes.

I've tried to overcome a little this by letting the AI shoot more than two salvos after a given randomized time so that the course of the new torpedoes reflect the bearing change.

Am I wrong or is it hard coded in the engine that only two torpedoes can be fired per doctrine? If I recursively call the same doctrine then it seems the next two torpedoes can be fired...a workaround but a little weird one.

Related to this, I think also a problem with the current approach is the switching to SubAvoidSub after firing 1-2 torpedoes in the current doctrine. In SubAvoidSub there is a logic to switch back to attack but I think it's not aggressive enough (also the tgtrange is hardcoded - not depending on parameters ) and give the attacked sub too much chance to escape.

I'm thinking if it is not better to write a separate doctrine 'ClearDatum' or sth like that, which makes the attacker sub clear the datum after a first attack but then more aggressively attacks again.

Any thoughts/ideas or has already somebody tried similar things out and wants to share his findings?
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote