SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-08, 05:35 PM   #31
lutzow
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 103
Uploads: 0

This is probably U-33 however i have pictures signed U-33 without this awesome camo.
LOL - because i targeted this picture as my next project (founded this last night).

I'm sure Friction that you'll make perfect reconstruction.Good luck

Let me preserving this one for skinning - this is probably U-565

OK?

http://hosted.filefront.com/Lutzow1

Last edited by lutzow; 08-13-08 at 06:05 PM.
lutzow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-08, 05:53 PM   #32
Friction150
Gunner

Downloads: 98
After pulling out my demagnifying glass... :rotfl:

Yes Lutzow, I have a picture from a book that identified that exact picture and it is in fact U-565. So you are right on that one!

The other pics that were posted earlier, the top on is probably u-25, as the mushroom is the emblem for that u-boat (but shown here without the unique shark mouth). The 2nd pic, I'm in the same boat as you. I have a picture of U-25 painted with a scheme and on of it bone plain. I don't know which one to go with. I hate to put a ton of detail on the conning tower and leave the sides bare. So I'm leaning toward doing so sort of matching pattern down the sides. What do you guys think?
Old 08-13-08, 06:44 PM   #33
lutzow
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friction150
After pulling out my demagnifying glass... :rotfl:

Yes Lutzow, I have a picture from a book that identified that exact picture and it is in fact U-565. So you are right on that one!

The other pics that were posted earlier, the top on is probably u-25, as the mushroom is the emblem for that u-boat (but shown here without the unique shark mouth). The 2nd pic, I'm in the same boat as you. I have a picture of U-25 painted with a scheme and on of it bone plain. I don't know which one to go with. I hate to put a ton of detail on the conning tower and leave the sides bare. So I'm leaning toward doing so sort of matching pattern down the sides. What do you guys think?
Yes - i'm thinking that You have right about this strange camouflaged tower - it must be U-25 without jaws...
I'm thinking that this is almost impossible to make this tower camo for Silent Hunter 3.
I don't know how - but the game always takes Your beautiful work on tower and incredibly changing with unknown parts of the skin. I tried and falled. I asked even Fubar, and You know what He says? Camo at the front of tower is very hard to paint and this is reason that He never try to paint something in this place. I checked His released skins and that is true.

Old 08-13-08, 06:46 PM   #34
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Thanks for the photos guys.

EYE 2 am going to look through a glass to see each details. hehehe

Friction all I can suggest is trial and error.
Goodluck

Oh by the way U-2666 is my next project.
Old 08-13-08, 07:09 PM   #35
Friction150
Gunner

Lutzow- Thanks mate, I know all too well about the conning tower issue. My first attempt at a skin was U-25. I got it extemely close to working, but just ran out of patience. But with a little more time and my new knowledge of positioning, it should work. It is really odd how they chose to skin u-boats in this game. I have a ton of experience skinning for other games (IL-2,CFS, and a bunch of shooters). None of those games mirror like this game. It's like skinning a face of someone by using a texture pattern from their ***cheeks, it doesn't work, will never look right, and there's nothing you can do about it. :rotfl:

Wolfehunter- Thanks for the good luck. I'm sure we'll all need it mate. Good luck to you guys too!

On a side note guys, I think it's awesome that we are communicating projects back and forth like this. I sure didn't want to step on anyone's toes if they were already staring a skin. It would be pretty pointless if we all spent hours working only to find out we all did the same skin. :rotfl: So for anyone keeping track to the action, be on the lookout for the releases of U-565 by Lutzow, U-2666 "Geist" by Wolfehunter, and U-25 "Shark" by me! Thanks guys!

*EDIT* Me not having the ability to leave well enough alone, I did more research. That second picture that Lutzow posted as U-33, well it's definately NOT U-25. The U-25 was a type IA U-boat (which we all knew right?), which resembled both VII and IX boats, but more so the IX because they lacked saddlebags. In that picture of "U-33" you can clearly see saddlebags. So, I'm using IXB as a base to try and stay as close to historically accurate as possible. But again, I'm at a crossroads as to use the "U-33" camo pattern or use the pattern that I have in 2 pictures (rather plain compared to the conning tower.) Opinions please!?

Last edited by Friction150; 08-13-08 at 07:42 PM.
Friction150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-08, 08:51 PM   #36
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Nope I just checked no one stepping on my toe.:rotfl:

Photo is a Type 7A. I think the aft torpedo launcher was on top thats why you see the bulge.

http://www.u-historia.com/uhistoria/...uboots/7/7.htm

here I don't read spanish. But I can figure it out hehehe.
Old 08-13-08, 09:24 PM   #37
Friction150
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehunter
Nope I just checked no one stepping on my toe.:rotfl:

Photo is a Type 7A. I think the aft torpedo launcher was on top thats why you see the bulge.

http://www.u-historia.com/uhistoria/...uboots/7/7.htm

here I don't read spanish. But I can figure it out hehehe.
I saw that bulge up top, but unfortunately, without an actual IA model, there isn't anything we can do about that. The bulge that I was referring to is the saddletanks, the fuel tanks on the side of the u-boat at the waterline. The U-33 did have these as it was a type 7, all type 7's had these. But from all the pictures I have found, the type IA did not.

So, do I take that interesting scheme from the "U-33" for the U-25, or stay realistic and take the semi-boring 2 tone approach. I'm working on this now, and I'm to the point where I have to make a choice. I'm leaning toward realistic 2 tone for it, but welcome opinions.

*Update*
After several more hours trying to get the lines on turmc_1 to line up correctly, I still haven't gotten it close to what I think would be acceptable... it irritates me that the ubisoft skin format messes up a really good skin. I'm going to try it with a type 7 later, but I'm giving this up for tonight. The pillows are calling my name.

Last edited by Friction150; 08-14-08 at 01:10 AM.
Friction150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 08:45 AM   #38
lutzow
Grey Wolf

Friction - here is all what i found for Your projects...

- info about colours

You have probably all those photos already.

''...*EDIT* Me not having the ability to leave well enough alone, I did more research. That second picture that Lutzow posted as U-33, well it's definately NOT U-25. The U-25 was a type IA U-boat (which we all knew right?), which resembled both VII and IX boats, but more so the IX because they lacked saddlebags. In that picture of "U-33" you can clearly see saddlebags. So, I'm using IXB as a base to try and stay as close to historically accurate as possible. But again, I'm at a crossroads as to use the "U-33" camo pattern or use the pattern that I have in 2 pictures (rather plain compared to the conning tower.) Opinions please!?...''

My opinion is that You have U-25 and U-33 camouflages to reconstruction, because Kaleu L Dog posted 2 photos of two different subs - so You catched two works instead of one:rotfl:.

I will be happy when You make them both for VIIC type - my beloved type.
Of course - this is just my wish - You are skinner and You decide.
Good luck, Friction

Last edited by lutzow; 08-14-08 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-14-08, 10:19 AM   #39
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Nice research lutzow. Very cool.
Old 08-14-08, 11:31 AM   #40
lutzow
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Nice research lutzow. Very cool.
Yeah,Wolfie - we must help each other. I'm still scanning the net for
camouflages. Are You have any wishes ? Something for searching target?

Old 08-14-08, 12:24 PM   #41
Friction150
Gunner

Lutzow, thank you oh so very much mate! I was looking for a direct side picture of U-33. Those are GREAT! And info on the colors is priceless!

Yeah, I thought about it last night, and here's what I came up with. The u-25 is a very hard u-boat to do, almost impossible on the IXB because of the conningC_1.tga. So I am going to try it on both type VII and IXC, since the IXC conning tower has more room and doesn't mirror around nearly as bad. And I also thought about the U-33, having agreed to do the submarine that was presented, but actually being 2 subs, I will do both. I really love that side paint scheme anyway!
Old 08-15-08, 12:52 PM   #42
lutzow
Grey Wolf

For U-565 i founded this :

I wonder if this can be real camo - on this second picture - or just a
fantasy of an unknown author? Hm?:hmm:

Old 08-15-08, 02:26 PM   #43
Friction150
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzow
For U-565 i founded this :

I wonder if this can be real camo - on this second picture - or just a
fantasy of an unknown author? Hm?:hmm:
I would go with the top picture Lutzow. It looks like a dark grey, but not quite black. Dunklegrau I believe. The dark streaks that run down the side (near front and under tower) are rust and plantlines.

From all information I've gathered, there were very few red hull subs in WWII (less than 15) and they were all built before the war started. U-565 was in April of 41, so I doubt it was a red hull. From the 1st picture, the waterline and hull appear to be dunklegrau as well, with some fading on the saddletanks. So in my opinion, the 2nd picture is fantasy, because as you can see, even the camo pattern doesn't match up. But, I've done realistic u-boats with red hulls before, so it's up to you. You could always do both and leave it to the downloader to choose, like I did with my U-123 skin.

By the way, I was actually able to get the conning tower camo pretty dang close on the U-25, and managed to figure out how to put a shark mouth on it! Took hours to figure out though! HAHA So that should be done by tomorrow.
Old 08-15-08, 04:12 PM   #44
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

You guys can try here, maybe you can find something interesting.

http://centroeu.com/uboote/pictures.html

Old 08-15-08, 04:50 PM   #45
Friction150
Gunner

Quote:
You guys can try here, maybe you can find something interesting.

http://centroeu.com/uboote/pictures.html

Pretty good selection of photos there mate. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, how's the 2666 coming? Can't wait to see the ghost