SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-25-18, 08:14 AM   #6676
G Man
Seaman

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Just back to my original point, I wasn't concerned about whether the sub should be there or not, my point was it shouldn't take 2 solid torpedo hits to sink a sub. Is there any way to address this?
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-18, 09:12 AM   #6677
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

While subs are delicate when compared to surface vessels, there is a thin-line balance point for sea-worthiness versus a realistic damage model. If you make the vessel too delicate, it sinks in a 5 knot wind in this game. Too strong, and it won't sink at all. All of the AI subs have been given a good going over several times, with ALOT of testing done on them. The Sen Taka Dai will sink with one hit, but not always. While it is a smaller submarine, it did have compartmentalization, and could therefore seal off damaged portions of the boat. Imagine that your torpedo detonated early or only partially, or you hit the target too low or high, too far forward or aft, or that the crew was at Battle Stations, and had the water-tight hatches closed. Pick your story. In the meantime, I'll look at it one more time to verify, and get back with you and pass on my findings to the team.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-18, 08:52 AM   #6678
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Are the TMO settings compatible with FOTRSU optics? ("Light" OTC version). I mean using manual targeting.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

I only changed the parameters associated with the "Node - Dummy_Cam_ObjectView1" in the FOTRSU v.71 cameras.dat file using S3D editor.
Basically, I deleted the "TerrainCollider" and "SphericalMove" lines from the FOTRSU cameras.dat and replaced them with the lines from the TMO v 2.5 cameras.dat (lines #324 and #325) You can copy and paste them into the FOTRSU v.71 cameras.dat.
I then inserted the data from line #321 (TMO cameras.dat)

Translation X, Y and Z
Rotation X,Y and Z

Into the (FOTRSU v.71 cameras.dat) line #306

I'm attaching 4 photos of the process but they come out really small. Can anyone tell me why I can't attach a decent size screenshot photo within my message?

The only parameters that are changed are the Dummy Camera Object View 1 parameters. Everything else in FOTRSU needed for manual targeting remain unchanged.

I hope this helps. Perhaps I can be more clear if necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TMO and FOTRSU 1.jpg (19.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg TMO and FORTSU 2.jpg (18.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg TMO and FORTSU 3.jpg (18.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg TMO and FOTRSU 4.jpg (19.6 KB, 5 views)

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-18, 10:22 AM   #6679
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I only changed the parameters associated with the "Node - Dummy_Cam_ObjectView1" in the FOTRSU v.71 cameras.dat file using S3D editor.
Basically, I deleted the "TerrainCollider" and "SphericalMove" lines from the FOTRSU cameras.dat and replaced them with the lines from the TMO v 2.5 cameras.dat (lines #324 and #325) You can copy and paste them into the FOTRSU v.71 cameras.dat.
I then inserted the data from line #321 (TMO cameras.dat)

Translation X, Y and Z
Rotation X,Y and Z

Into the (FOTRSU v.71 cameras.dat) line #306

I'm attaching 4 photos of the process but they come out really small. Can anyone tell me why I can't attach a decent size screenshot photo within my message?

The only parameters that are changed are the Dummy Camera Object View 1 parameters. Everything else in FOTRSU needed for manual targeting remain unchanged.

I hope this helps. Perhaps I can be more clear if necessary.
Many thanks! I´ll try this weekend.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-18, 10:27 AM   #6680
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
Just back to my original point, I wasn't concerned about whether the sub should be there or not, my point was it shouldn't take 2 solid torpedo hits to sink a sub. Is there any way to address this?
OK, what I've found after doing over a dozen missions with an anchored Sentaka-Dai and an anchored Kaidai, is that the Kaidai will consistently sink with one hit, so long as you hit it in the main part of the body. It can be a magnetic pistol or impact. Doesn't matter. For the Sentaka-Dai, if you hit it in the bow, it will take two hits. If you hit it in the middle, it might go down, it might not. If you hit it from behind the rear gun, it will go down every time with one hit. I takes it longer to sink than the Kaidai does, which is about the easiest vessel to sink. The mini Ko-Hyoteki is still like a pool cue ball, though it is better than the stock version, and it does sink - eventually...

Old 10-28-18, 11:45 AM   #6681
suitednate
Planesman

Downloads: 43
Default ETA on next version?

Hello all,

I’m loving this mod but just got killed in a campaign and I had thought I’d read somewhere that the next updated version was going to be released soon? Just wondering if there was an ETA on that before I started a new campaign with v .71 because I know I’ll just have to restart anyways because the old saved games won’t work when the new version comes out. Thank you all!
suitednate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-18, 01:38 PM   #6682
propbeanie

We keep fixing little things, but hope we are about finished. No timeframe though, since there are too many things that have gone wrong each time I've mentioned anything before about time. There's nothing wrong with running an old version of FotRSU, while using MultiSH to run the new...

Old 10-28-18, 09:54 PM   #6683
suitednate
Planesman

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We keep fixing little things, but hope we are about finished. No timeframe though, since there are too many things that have gone wrong each time I've mentioned anything before about time. There's nothing wrong with running an old version of FotRSU, while using MultiSH to run the new...
suitednate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 03:38 PM   #6684
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Crashing starting new mission Midway Aug 7 '44

Been playing on .71 since it came out, no problems. Ran a few careers from '41, early '42, mid'42, where this career started and finally got into 1944. On
a mission that started from Midway ( don't remember the start date) and finished (returned to Midway) on July 19 '44, when I selected the next mission which started Aug 7 '44 upon leaving the office, the game crashed. So I used a few saves I had prior to returning to Midway and each time the game crashed on the next mission upon leaving the office. Hmmm, never crashed before, upon leaving the office, ever!!!
I retried from my save returning again to Midway (on July 19), but this time I transferred to Perth, then requested another mission which also started on Aug 7 '44 and it crashed!!
After trying different saves to return to Midway and getting the same crash on new missions leaving the office, I decided to report this.
I'm running on Win 7, been using LAA, and have not had problems, certainly not crashing. Actually, it's a Windows message saying the program has stopped working would I like to close it.
Thought you might like to know this.
Old 11-02-18, 05:37 PM   #6685
propbeanie

That is one of the problems with the game. You get assigned the mission prior to docking upon your return, so you actually would have to go back ~two~ patrols, and transfer. You are, I think, the 3rd person now running into this. This makes me think it might be more than just the TaskForce that spawns in (literally ~IN~) Atoll area, so I'll double-check the assignment for those date time frames again. It crashes just when it would say "No Mission Too Difficult", correct? We hope we have that fixed in this next release. We shall see what we see when we see it...

Old 11-02-18, 05:44 PM   #6686
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Is there “a way” to continue with this career? I don’t see how!
Old 11-02-18, 08:06 PM   #6687
propbeanie

Like I said, you would have to go back two patrols, if you still have the save from then, and transfer prior to going on patrol at that start. I realized here a few minutes ago that my "clean" install of v0.71 was on my laptop, which is in Windows Update throes... It's been bricked... so I'll have to do another "fresh" install on my already overtaxed DuoCore thingie here, just to see what you guys have... Previous users were not able to Start from Midway, once it did the crashing. One fellow even tried transferring all of the bases in turn, and it always gave him the same mission, which crashed. You could try to make a new skipper, and copy your score and progress over to the new one, but I've forgotten how to do that myself. It's been a few pages back where the last posting of this issue was...

Edit: wow, found it with two clicks!... "George just lucky I guess."

It was torpedobait:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...09#post2568709

five posts below that, is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrane View Post
Ahoy torpedobait this is from a post I read awhile back hope it helps

crash while loading (all) savegames: Here's how to fix it!
All (both) my savegames crashed during loading, I thought my career was done for. However, here is the fix:

- Create a new profile (ideally with the same name, same nation)
- Return to main menu after office screen appeared
- Copy the "ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc" and "CareerTrack.upc" to the new save file
- You're done: All your career progress has been carried over

Hope this helps if somebody runs into the same isssue.

Best,
Brett
Last edited by Brett Sinclair; 03-27-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Good luck
If you've got a Save previous to the one before, load it and transfer somewhere else besides Midway. Else you might have to do the above. I'll try and re-create this scenario, try to find something in the Save file that might be editable...

Edit2: OK, I've gone through it all again, and it looks good in the game - which is NOT to say something might not be wrong, just that my skills can't find it. Looking in the Flotillas.cfg file, several boats have this:
Flotillas:
----------
[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 7.Objective 1]
ID= PH7Obj1
NameDisplayable= East China Sea
AvailabilityInterval=1943-04-01, NULL
ObjectiveCode= East China Sea

which leads to this in the PatrolObjectives file:
PatrolObjectives:
-----------------
[Section 181]
ID=ID181
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Insertion Spy East China Sea 02/Insertion Spy East China Sea 02.mis
StartDate=19430901
EndDate=19450715
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumDifficultyRating=0
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=1
EvaluationReason=FirstObjective
AllMatch=East China Sea
ObjectiveType=2
BriefingMapName=NULL
BriefingMapIcon=NULL
BriefingMapIconPosX=0
BriefingMapIconPosY=0

The mission itself is just the Objective and a MapZone. I did make it into a SingleMission with a Balao boat and ran it, and it did fine - other than the DE departing ahead of my boat ran into the breakwater. The only thing I can think of is that some of the boats, as above, have the mission as objective 1. The game supposedly goes back through and "recycles" the Objectives, but calls a different mission than before. Maybe something is wrong there? We have added more mission Objectives at Midway, so that might help also...

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-02-18 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Found It
Old 11-03-18, 10:46 AM   #6688
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Is there “a way” to continue with this career? I don’t see how!
@propbeanie

would changing the mission prior to departure cure this issue?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 12:12 PM   #6689
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Propbeanie wrote "You could try to make a new skipper, and copy your score and progress over to the new one,"
"- Create a new profile (ideally with the same name, same nation)
- Return to main menu after office screen appeared
- -Copy the "ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc" and "CareerTrack.upc" to the new save file
- You're done: All your career progress has been carried over"

I tried this, but doesn't resolve the crash. Maybe I misunderstand the procedure!
I start a new career- Create a new profile (ideally with the same name, same nation)?
"Return to main menu after office screen" - then what alt tab to Windows and
"Copy the "ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc" and "CareerTrack.upc" to the new save file" - where's the "new save"?
Old 11-03-18, 01:19 PM   #6690
propbeanie

That's just it, you create a new ID, but you leave behind the broken save, only bringing the progress of the career, from my understanding. You are doing a new start near the time of your crash, using your renown score from the old career.

I am reasonably sure there is a way to edit the assignment, and I know I've got advice that I think aanker pointed me at years ago about working in the Save folder, but I can't find it yet...