SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-17, 01:26 AM   #16
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Is available any video of gameplay for this game ?

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 12:15 PM   #17
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
Is available any video of gameplay for this game ?

Old 04-18-17, 02:19 PM   #18
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189
Uploads: 0

No not yet. We were going to, but we're just too busy actually finishing the game. Maybe next week we can get to it.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 02:58 AM   #19
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Looks nice!
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 01:19 PM   #20
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
No not yet. We were going to, but we're just too busy actually finishing the game. Maybe next week we can get to it.
are you planing of showing the gameplay of the game any time before release ,Julhelm?

Old 04-30-17, 07:05 PM   #21
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Well we need to shoot a new trailer anyway, so likely gameplay video will be shot at the same time. So many things to do, so little time
Old 05-01-17, 06:19 AM   #22
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

take your time

I've just seen this http://steamcommunity.com/games/5412...59265447290222

The 3D stuff looks really great but I hope you have similar map and tactical displays (e.g. torpedo attack, defense, environmental conditions) like in RSR since this is - concerning the game play more important ?

The inclusion of two campaigns is cool...is the 68' one related a bit to Vietnam or is the news article just a teaser to get into the '68 setting?
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 01:41 PM   #23
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

We have the tactical display and environmental display + acoustic signature and sonar comparison which should be familiar for anyone who has played Red Storm Rising. Where in RSR you had different screens to focus on tactical situation, guiding weapons or evading torpedoes, our tactical display combines all those functions since you can pan, zoom and interact with it (which was not possible in RSR). You can maximize the tactical map for a better overview, and the other displays are available as contextual pop-up displays that can be hidden as necessary. While you can play the entire game from the maximized tactical map, it is intended to be played from the 3D view, much like Tom Clancy's SSN but with RSR realism.
Old 05-05-17, 01:06 PM   #24
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Here is an example of how the UI works. On the left is the tactical map that shows the evolving tactical situation. The 3D world only shows enemies that you have a solid TMA solution on, while weaker tracks only show up as markers on the map.

On the right is the sonar screen, which allows you to see the strength of the contact on different arrays, as well as shows the estimated enemy sonar performance against you, based on the TMA solution.

You may see that I've just fired a torpedo against the enemy sub, and a waypoint is provided that can be moved in order to perform a corrected intercept. The yellow lines on the tacmap are active sonar emissions detected by your onboard WLR-9 active sonar intercept gear. It also detects emissions from incoming (active) torpedoes, which show up as red lines. If you raise the ESM mast, purple lines indicate radar emissions.

On a real sub all of these would be displayed on individual CRTs manned by individual crew members, but for the sake of playability we elected to combine everything into one display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delta4.jpg (83.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-05-17, 01:25 PM   #25
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

looks neat. And you can completely replace the 3d view with the tactical map like in DW, right ?
Old 05-05-17, 01:49 PM   #26
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

You can maximise it and play the game that way but it is recommended to play from the 3d view.
Old 05-06-17, 04:46 AM   #27
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I still struggle to imagine how the gameplay works out to be honest.
While everything looks really nice, what I've seen so far strikes me as rather simple, lacking depth in gameplay mechanics, as if it results in a simple "point & click" game, where the player does not need to be skilled at all - and that kinda worries me.

It's really time for some gameplay videos, I think.
Old 05-06-17, 05:13 AM   #28
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

That is not the case. The interface is simple but the gameplay is tactically serious, to the point where if you are not careful and pay attention to details, you will die.

What it does not do is play anything like Dangerous Waters in that it is not a full-on procedural simulator. If you really have to manually monitor sonar screens or perform the entire TMA procedure yourself, this does not do that. It doesn't replace DW, nor is it intended to. We designed it to offer a different perspective on underwater combat than what DW does.
Old 05-06-17, 05:21 AM   #29
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for getting back at me.

I'm aware it's not like DW - and that's perfectly fine.
However, my point is that it seems(!) that the game simply doesn't offer much depth. As in... what is there to DO for the player?
It seems like you swim around, by ordering a course similar to DW I would guess, your crew will tell you if something's around and automatically gets resolved if you're close enough/collect enough data and then you engage, or not.
But... what's there to do, to experience, besides that?

Don't get me wrong, I just struggle to get behind what you showed us so far, as screenshots and descriptions of the gameplay just don't cut it.
Didn't you guys want to release some gameplay footage?
And frankly, why didn't you yet?
It doesn't have to be anything fancy, a simply dubbed gameplay video showing an attack procedure for example would be enough for everyone here who is curious about this title, I guess.

When a developer doesn't release any videos with gameplay these days, my boat gets rigged to red alert automatically - that's why I'm asking.
Old 05-06-17, 05:47 AM   #30
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

@Nippelspanner:

Have you played the original RedStormRising ? If not, I'd recommend it to you...from the interface/description/images I've seen, this will be RedStormRising 2 actually with another name.

RedStormRising has a very tense atmosphere, in my view it is still the best (modern) subsim out there, so far. The AI is also very good, since - in contract to DW - it does not consist of isolated doctrine scripts but uses real-world Soviet ASW tactics (the algorithms were provided by Larry Bond - if I'm not wrong).

If the game is done right, the depth comes from the gameplay and the tactical decision you make. You play the captain and have a (reliable) auto-crew, which does do Sonar, TMA etc.

DW has its root as a procedural trainer...that's the reason why you never have the feeling you're the captain of the sub. It excels as a platform simulator but not in being a captain of a sub.