Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-17, 06:11 PM   #1
Shibby
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Advice re wolves of steel

Hi All,

I gave wolves of steel a go and found it a little difficult to be fully confident with getting it installed. It seemed to work ok but I think there's just too much in it for me at this time.

For me I'm actually reasonably happy with the majority of the vanilla game on 100% realism with two exceptions.

1. The stadimeter: What is going on with the stadimeter in the vanilla game? Sometimes it works if you take the range off the funnel, sometimes its off by several hundred meters. What can I do about this?

2. Diving: My boat dives but once it gets to a certain depth, say 200m it wont level out and it wont surface. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong.

My big thing with wolves of steel is the reduction in time compression, I don't want to wait as long as it takes even at 512 compression to move long distances. However, the manual targeting in it looks awesome (particularly as it seems to work). Is there a simple fix to the stadimeter and diving I can find?
Shibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 02:33 AM   #2
Saintaw
Medic

Downloads: 47

Hi Shibby,

I'm sort of a noob too, but I'd consider trying the Wots again, editing the time compression values is quite easy.

Have a look in C:\My Documents\SH5\data\cfg and open main.cfg with a text editor, edit the values in these lines (Mine are already edited as you can see)

Code:
[TIME COMPRESSION]
; The first value is the default one, the second value is used when 'travel mode' is activated.
; The two values should be separated by a comma.
; If only one value is specified, that value is used for both default and travel mode.
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=1,64
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=512
AirEnemyDetected=1,512
SoundEffects=4
CharacterAnim=32
FriendDetected=512
EnemyDetected=64,512
RadioReport=512
Particles=32
PrayState=1
HunterState=1
3DRender=512
Maximum=2048
At least with wots, you'll be able to use manual diveplanes at lower depths.

blub blubb...

Saintaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 02:48 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Shibby
Ok, so your not Einstein, but have you asked for any help before abandoning TWOS?
What part of the installation do you not understand?
We are a helpful community here to answer questions.
Saintaw has shown you how to adjust your Time Compression.
You will not get a better experience of SH5 than with TWOS.
The stock game is full of all kinds of and glitches which will leave you frustrated and possibly giving up SH5 altogether.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 03:18 AM   #4
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintaw View Post
Hi Shibby,

I'm sort of a noob too, but I'd consider trying the Wots again, editing the time compression values is quite easy.

Have a look in C:\My Documents\SH5\data\cfg and open main.cfg with a text editor, edit the values in these lines (Mine are already edited as you can see)

Code:
[TIME COMPRESSION]
; The first value is the default one, the second value is used when 'travel mode' is activated.
; The two values should be separated by a comma.
; If only one value is specified, that value is used for both default and travel mode.
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=1,64
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=512
AirEnemyDetected=1,512
SoundEffects=4
CharacterAnim=32
FriendDetected=512
EnemyDetected=64,512
RadioReport=512
Particles=32
PrayState=1
HunterState=1
3DRender=512
Maximum=2048
At least with wots, you'll be able to use manual diveplanes at lower depths.
Hi mate
I wanted just remember ...Increasing TC is possible but this can cause instability of TWoS... not forgot!!
About that Vecko write ( mainly page of TWoS ):
"Max TC is limited to x512 for stability reasons, although I can not recommend anything higher than x256 in areas with dense air and sea traffic (Baltic, coastal waters...)."

Last edited by hauangua; 04-23-17 at 03:28 AM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 04:12 AM   #5
Saintaw
Medic

Downloads: 47

I am aware of that, but playtime sessions are sometimes not as long as I would want them to be, rest assured I mainly only use max TC when transiting in open waters (Long stretches, ie between Wilhelmshaven and Scotland)

I do remember that about 80% of my demise in stock SH5 was due to TC

blub blubb...

Saintaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 07:12 PM   #6
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

Quote:
2. Diving: My boat dives but once it gets to a certain depth, say 200m it wont level out and it wont surface. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong.
This is one of my biggest gripes of WoS. One of the mods is past 180 meters the Chief of the Boat becomes stupid and cannot maintain depth - you have to do it manually by manually working the dive planes and at least slow-ahead speed. I really wish they would un-nerf this.

Quote:
My big thing with wolves of steel is the reduction in time compression, I don't want to wait as long as it takes even at 512 compression to move long distances.
If you deviate from the stock time compression values that WoS recommends, you are pretty much guaranteed a crash. In fact even with the recommended TC settings you may crash at 512. The SH5 engine is simply over-taxed with all the mods in WoS and if you hit a large convoy or any other heavy rendering exercise at high TC it will crash the game. Even 512 is risky with some large convoys. My advice: stick with the recommended TC settings and save often.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 07:40 PM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
If you deviate from the stock time compression values that WoS recommends, you are pretty much guaranteed a crash. In fact even with the recommended TC settings you may crash at 512. The SH5 engine is simply over-taxed with all the mods in WoS and if you hit a large convoy or any other heavy rendering exercise at high TC it will crash the game. Even 512 is risky with some large convoys. My advice: stick with the recommended TC settings and save often.

Steve
This problem has been fixed and it's almost non present in latest TWoS versions...No CTDs in my game even with "non-recommended" TC settings.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 08:08 PM   #8
Shibby
Swabbie

There isn't any part of the installation which I don't understand. I followed the instructions to the letter. It seemed to install correctly, however the Generic Patcher did not give me any opportunity to double click TWoS 2.0_Snapshot.gps when I restored snapshot. As I say it seems to be running correctly but I don't know why this might be.

Anyway, other than this I'm using WoS and yea you're all right, its fantastic. I no longer feel the need to increase the time compression since there is enough to do even when you're traveling from A-B to keep it entertaining.

But yea I would like to know what I'm missing about this generic patcher, I've had two goes at activating it now. To be clear, I've used the correct file directory and the files which need to be backed up have all presented exactly as they should. But restoring snapshot does nothing.
Old 04-24-17, 06:42 AM   #9
THEBERBSTER

Hi Shibby
When the patcher is installed all the patches are red disabled.
By opening your patcher you should see both red and blue patches meaning that your gps snapshot file restored correctly.
Peter
Old 04-24-17, 09:23 PM   #10
Shibby
Swabbie

Is the patcher something I should be using regularly? I didn't see any change in colour, only the files which presented after pressing enter about 20 times.

I'll just keep using WoS because as yet I can't see anything which isn't working. If it suddenly has issues I guess I'll do a full reinstall.
Old 04-25-17, 03:59 AM   #11
THEBERBSTER

Hi Shibby
Quote:
I didn't see any change in colour, only the files which presented after pressing enter about 20 times.
After pressing 43 times you should see the 9 patchers.
At this point all of those 9 patchers containing the patches will all be red disabled.
Restore snapshot takes you to the Snapshot folder where the TWOS gps file is.
Clicking on this file 2 times enables the patches that need to be enabled (Blue).
You also get a confirmation prompt that the Restore has been done successfully.
Opening the 9 patchers you will then see which patches have been changed to enabled.
You do not need to touch the patcher again unless you wish to change the Map tools colors.
Peter
Old 04-25-17, 06:35 AM   #12
Shibby
Swabbie

Icon7

It must've worked then as everything is functioning just fine.

Now I just need to find some merchant ships, the eastern coast of England seems to be inhabited only by destroyers and patrol boats.
Old 03-01-18, 02:05 AM   #13
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

One thing about difficulties maintaining balance at great depths (over 100-150meters deep), that is historically accurate so should not bug you.

If they could not do it, neither should you

Last edited by Ashikaga; 03-01-18 at 03:47 AM.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-18, 07:35 AM   #14
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
It must've worked then as everything is functioning just fine.

Now I just need to find some Merchant ships, the Eastern coast of England seems to be inhabited only by destroyers and patrol boats.
Hi Shibby

Yeah there can be zones around the English East Coast where merchants are very scarce not much you can do apart from lots of Hydro Sweeps and hope next patrol area is better. Sinking Patrol boats gives little tonnage and attracts lots Destroyers to intercept you

Simon
Old 03-03-18, 07:56 AM   #15
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Yes I can confirm this. The English East coast is full of patrol boats that will surround you if you don't radically deviate from your position after sinking a merchant. You have to go at flank speed for 30 minutes at least going away from the coast, then use your hydrophones to hear if nothing is comming at you.
Making high tonnage in the East coast is pretty impossible or very time-consuming and not worth the risk IMO.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote