Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-18, 04:42 PM   #1
KirinFrost
Helmsman

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0
Default so actually where shld i hit?

I know that hitting the engine room will increase the chances of sinking the ship and maybe even cause it to break into two completely :P

but where is the engine room generally located?

cause right now im generally hitting the exact center of ships due to personal preference and because i always fire at point blank ranges (450-700m)
KirinFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-18, 06:25 AM   #2
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 349

Hi Kirin

I would not bother too much about hitting ships in an exact hull point longitudinally so long as you are not too far off dead center, In my experience it does not maker much if any difference I have sunk large ships hitting dead center with 1 shot lots of times .What is more important is the torpedo depth and range to target

At 450m you are a bit too close and there is the possibility of the torpedo not arming back off a bit to around 700-1000m. Setting the depth low can cause the torpedo to bounce off the hull and not detonate I've followed the torpedo with the camera view and seen this happen many times the greater the curve of the hull the more chance of failure, historically speaking setting the depth so it went almost under the ship was method which caused the ship most damage often breaking the ships hull in half the game does not represent this too well and is a little contradictory

You would be better off trying to focus on hitting the target at slightly longer range taking into account for things like getting your sub to a dead stop or compensating for its movement even low speeds can throw the targeting solution out sufficiently for a miss, assuming you are using manual TDC
Old 07-30-18, 07:16 PM   #3
KirinFrost
Helmsman

Downloads: 73

oh i tried at the start to set my torpedo depth lower as well in order to break the ship hull

didnt know the game doesnt register it properly

but there was once all 4 of my torpedo missed which greatly surprised me considering i know that im very close to the target

thats when i started leaving torpedo depth at default (around 2.5m) instead :P

and actually the 450m distance i gave is an estimate. i cant possibly know how far away i was to the ship :P

but so far i barely have any duds so i guess everything is working fine XD
KirinFrost is offline   Reply With Quote