SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Red Storm Rising
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-06, 07:58 PM   #31
Hobnail
Bosun

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike
I used LWAMI and didn't see the 688s attack...
Did you promote the surface contacts to Link? I did. Seeing as we're all supposed to be lurking at radio depth they'd get the info and could quickly triangulate the shot.

I'll replay the scenario without linking and "deny" my fellow skippers the cheap shot, see what happens.

Be kind.
Old 01-11-06, 08:29 PM   #32
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Has anyone finished this campaign, yet? If so, how about giving a short AAR for the final mission?
Old 01-11-06, 09:11 PM   #33
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

The last misson ran really slowly on my computer, same with the first mission, so I never bothered finishing the mission after I helped kill a few subs that were threating the northern landing force.

Old 01-12-06, 08:02 PM   #34
Mocbo
Watch

Downloads: 0

The Mission Nordic Hammer is nerarly unplayable with the Lwami Mod because the Sonar Ranges are to short !.

I cant hear the LARGE Surface Ballte Group at Start and after a Speed Run at 2000 Feet and 32 Knots 50 Miles to North : No Contacts on Sonar !!
The ESM is unusable because the SAG emits no EM Pulses and moving stealthy at Emcom.

Only SHOW TRUTH gives the Position of the SAG.

No Chance to get them on Sonar.
Thats are Unrealistic because Surface Contacts are relatively Easy to Detect. Often Real Subs detects Warships nearly to 100 Miles or more per CZ Contactm, somtimes direct....

In other Missions i am not able to detect a Foxtrot at 70 Feet an at 7 Miles Range from a FFG !!! The Foxtrot is a OLD DIESEL Sub , this Sub Type noisier then a Nuke Sub ( i did not mean the newer Kilos )

The best is to Play Red Storm Missions without Lwami ( Reason Sonar " Feature" )

Greetings

Moc
Old 01-12-06, 08:38 PM   #35
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Some say ranges are too long, others too short.

It all depends on the mission designer to make the mission playable.

Bill has said on numerous occasions that he designed the missions to play without the Mod, and no one has disputed this.

I've said that the mod will generally make the missions better because of improved AI performance but some missions may be made different because the ranges are generally reduced.

I'm not sure what the conditions in the mission are, but I regularly hear surface contacts over 50nm away. In fact, in some cases the mod will make the ranges longer because the ~45nm hardcaps are removed from the TA's.

Just be sure you are taking into account the large layer effects in 1.02/3 when you are relating your experiences.
Old 01-12-06, 11:41 PM   #36
Scion
Sailor man

Downloads: 5

I had a similar problem without LWAMI, but I got a single Helix emitting, on which I closed with a 20 min flank run towards the esm bearing. After that, I got a few whiffs of the BG on sonar, and now as we speak I'm closing in
Old 01-12-06, 11:53 PM   #37
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

I played NH and beat it using LWAMI. I sunk the flattop, 2 of the Udaloys- damaged one, and sunk a FF. When ever I poped above the layer it stated raining SS-N-14s so I had to get out of their range to do my sonar checks. Then I would attack with two salvos of torpedoes (1st four I would just cut my wires and reload) and run another 30 or so miles and do a check. After about six (game) hours and with four MK 48s left and no Missiles I final nailed the CVG and won!

Old 01-13-06, 08:09 AM   #38
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion
I had a similar problem without LWAMI, but I got a single Helix emitting, on which I closed with a 20 min flank run towards the esm bearing. After that, I got a few whiffs of the BG on sonar, and now as we speak I'm closing in
This is exactly what I hoped. The BG begins initially out of sonar range, the player is given only general info about its intentions. The Helix's are there as 'beacons' for the player who uses all of his sensors (not just sonar).
Old 01-13-06, 08:10 AM   #39
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike
I played NH and beat it using LWAMI. I sunk the flattop, 2 of the Udaloys- damaged one, and sunk a FF. When ever I poped above the layer it stated raining SS-N-14s so I had to get out of their range to do my sonar checks. Then I would attack with two salvos of torpedoes (1st four I would just cut my wires and reload) and run another 30 or so miles and do a check. After about six (game) hours and with four MK 48s left and no Missiles I final nailed the CVG and won!
Very impressive.
Old 01-13-06, 12:48 PM   #40
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

LW/Ami INCREASES detection range vs those noisy surface ships! In the stock version, some time had to go by before I detected the ships, but in LW/Ami they are usually detectable at the start of the game. Sounds like someone was using 1.03 and was under the layer.
Old 01-13-06, 01:15 PM   #41
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Indeed LW, from the beginning I had 50hz contact with the Battle Group when my TB-23 was above the layer.

Old 01-13-06, 04:57 PM   #42
Mocbo
Watch

Downloads: 0

The Helix as a Beacon?? I ve noticed the Active Dip Sonar Pings of the Helix from North but is thesea good Orientation of the Real Bearing of a SAG or BG ??.It is possible theh the BG etc 45 or more Degrees of the Bearing from the Helix ?( Example :The Helix is at 000 an the possible BG Pos is at 300 or 045 not directly North.)
Then goes the Speed Run in to an empty Space and is eventually Chance for the Bg to pick a Signal from the Running Sub at High Speed, when the sub cannot notice that because Sonar is out of Function at high Speeds.

A thermal Layer did not block all Sound.... !

Then the Enemy has the Chance to first Action not the Sub.

The Helo "Beacon " dig not is a real 100% Sign for the BG bearing or the Near Point of the Bearinglinked with the Helix.

ANOTHER Point is that some Shipborn an Helo Active Sonars are very strong. The Helix pinged me with a S6 ( 3 Green and 3 Yellow Lights) at 20 or more Miles !!!
In normal circumstances this is a critical Point of possible Own Detection!

In the Mission Red Sky at Morning the Same thing. A Grisha pinged me at 25 or more Miles ( the Ships beyound the Mine Chain ) with timewise a s7 ( One RED Light !!)

Is that Real at those Distances? or was the Space between the Watersurface and Layer the Effect of Multi Mirroring an Forcing of the Active Sonar Signal, an a Detection is Impossible?

Greetings

Moc
Old 01-14-06, 12:22 PM   #43
Ptroinks
Watch

Downloads: 2

Excellent campaign so far . Having read Red Storm Rising a couple of times, this was a welcome surprise! As I started the first mission with Reuben James and noticed the ship's name, I had a wide smile on my face . Looking forward to the rest of the missions! Now I just have to get that darn diesel sub to surface. BTW, I identified that sub as being from India or something. I know there are no russian subs of this type in DW, but it would have been nice if you had put a little note in the mission briefing telling us to disregard the nationality ID of the sub. For all we know, you might have put more subs in the mission, and some players might disregard the "indian" sub completely and go looking for a russian one. I almost did that ...
Old 01-14-06, 01:07 PM   #44
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

The Indian submarine is a Foxtrot which is Russian built. SCS didn't include any Russian owned Foxtrots in the Database so an Indian one had to be used.

Old 02-04-06, 10:44 AM   #45
Fire_Spy
Mate

Downloads: 25

Really enjoying your missions Bill. I think I played some of your Harpoon missions way back when. At least your name seems familiar. Anyway great job. I am currently on the mission after following the SSBN into the mined bastion.

As Red storm is one of my favourite Tom Clancy novels i have had a ball so far.

Thankyou very much!!
The Russians knew where the carrier group was, but it would move in the four hours required by the bombers to get there. Their missiles needed precise information if they were to home in on the raid's primary target, the two American and one French carrier, or the mission was a wasted effort.

The game was hide and seek, played over a million square miles of ocean. The losers died.