Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-18, 05:08 PM   #1
vadupleix
Watch

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Seawolf silent running speed?

Hello,

I'm new to this game (and also to modern submarines so I apologize if what I'm about to say doesn't make sense in reality) and I noticed that in the main screen where there's portraits of different subs on the left, on the seawolf in says speed 35kt+ and silent running to 20kt. I'm wondering what this silent running speed means in this game? Does it model the reactor pump noise and self circulation cooling (not sure if this is the correct term) and does this mean that the seawolf won't have to engage its cooling pump when speed is less than 20kt?
Thanks in advance!
vadupleix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 05:53 PM   #2
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

nearly all modern submarines now have their mechanical equipment rafted Seawolf herself is a very high tech submarine and is leaps and bounds ahead in some cases to the 688i.

Seawolf was designed from the on set as a fast quiet submarine so a lot of R&D went into keeping the pumps and circulation equipment very quiet as well as the anechoic coating on the outside, it also has a pump jet which allows the screw to spin slower than a standard screw but produce a high speed at lower RPM with lower noise out put, seawolf at speed is quieter than a 688i at walking pace.

what you find today is the seawolf was so expensive of the 24 they did plan they cancelled all but 3 and developed a submarine that had similar qualities but at a much cheaper price hence you now have the Virginia class.

Seawolf was designed from the outset for one single purpose and that was to hunt down other submarines her role did include anti ship warfare and they can fire the TLAM but her primary mission was to hunt down Russian submarines, unlike the 688's who were multi mission and also had VLS systems installed (FLT II & i) this position is now being taken over by the Virginia class.

In game seawolf can be hard to detect using passive sensors if your in an akula or kilo what helps is if you have the sonar history you can spot them using that, but a competent seawolf driver knows the boat and how to use it to the best advantages it will differ from the real world of course its just a game.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 05:54 PM   #3
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

IIRC if you want multiplayer assistance you should have a chat with P7P8 and join his discord channel

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 11:08 AM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

The 20 kt thing is silly to me, just seems mostly a marketing tagline. Don't get me wrong, the Seawolf is quite quiet. However, the 20 kt silent running thing is going to depend on a lot of factors, namely, who is trying to listen to the Seawolf in question, i.e. how good is the OPFOR sonar.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 12:41 PM   #5
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

@Kapitan - thx

Im not sure about Seawolf in MP because i dont like to play ultra modern SSN's and i just prefer put older subs in MP scenarios.

I think @FPSchazly have right that Seawolf 20kts "feature" is a marketing tagline. I've read that superb Seawolf quietness its only part of all noises in all frequency spectrum. Even comparison SSK and SSN subs in RA noise chart shows that nuclear subs are often less noisy than diesel-electric at high speeds:

This is noise level (for popular subs) at specific speed:

SSK (Collins+Kilo imp) vs SSN (Seawolf+688i)

p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 01:11 PM   #6
vadupleix
Watch

Thanks for all the replies!
I find that I did use the wrong term here and here's the more precise version (from the plot above it seems to answer to my question is NO?):
I heard in reality that the S6W reactor are designed such that it can produce quite a large portion of its full power in natural circulation compared to the reactor on other attack subs which means it can reach a high speed (20-25kt) without engaging its cooling pump. And the cooling pump produces a large portion of noise for nuclear boats in low speed which prevents them being dead quiet even at very low speed.
Now with this natural circulation does that mean the seawolf can be as quiet as a SSK at low speed and stay relatively quiet until 20ish kt and then there would be a bump on the noise level when the pumps come in? Does the game model this natural circulation feature?
Thanks again!
Old 05-07-18, 07:37 PM   #7
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

It could quite possibly be something like that where primary coolant loop pumps aren't needed at speeds below about 20 knots. But bear in mind that turbines still need to spin to produce electricity. The SSK just needs a motor to get juice out of the batteries. Also, the above plot is just what's modeled in RA, it is not a graph of reality.

My videos:
Old 05-08-18, 02:26 PM   #8
vadupleix
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
It could quite possibly be something like that where primary coolant loop pumps aren't needed at speeds below about 20 knots. But bear in mind that turbines still need to spin to produce electricity. The SSK just needs a motor to get juice out of the batteries. Also, the above plot is just what's modeled in RA, it is not a graph of reality.
Thanks, I didn't think of the turbines. And also thank you for your great tutorial series! It helped a lot
Old 05-08-18, 03:16 PM   #9
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadupleix View Post
Thanks, I didn't think of the turbines. And also thank you for your great tutorial series! It helped a lot
You're welcome! Glad to hear it.

My videos: