SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-15, 07:43 PM   #1
montaigne
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Mods and Linux

Anyone want to hazard a guess about the viability of installing a mod under Linux? That is, a mod to an installation of Dangerous Waters under Wine-Steam? The game works fine on my OpenSuse 13.1 box. But I'm not sure if I can install a mod. Anybody know? Thanks.
Old 01-16-15, 09:59 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default welcome aboard!

Montaigne!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-15, 06:45 AM   #3
Red_88
Sailor man

Downloads: 250
Uploads: 6

Ahoy Comrade!
it is not a simple task to install a mod of DW in Linux. The Problem lies in differnce of Filename reconition in Linux and Windows. Windows Ignores capital letters but linux does recon the difference between capital and small letter, in practice this means that when you copy something in a folder, while in windows it will overwrite you will have a duplicate in Linux.
For exemple: Folder A has a file "test.txt" you copy the file "TEST.txt" in the folder.
in windows "test.txt" will be overwritten, but in Linux it will not, but you will end up with two FIles "test.txt" and "TEST.txt". This CAN cause problems.

Second, the MODs DW uses to install some *.bat file, they can't be executed by WINE (LINUX)

SOLUTION
you need Windows for that, but you can run windows in virtualbox:
(forget about run the game in a virtual box, I doesn't work, just good for install Mod)
1. First you need WINE
2. Install DW in LInux
3. Install DW PATCH 1.04 in Linux
4. Copy game folder to windows, Delete the one in Linux
5. Install Mod in Windows
6. Insert the the folder to your Linux
7. RUN

BTW: I run DW with RA Mod 1.39 in openSUSE 13.1
Red_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-15, 07:02 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim montaigne

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-15, 09:43 AM   #5
montaigne
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks Red. How about this? I looked around and discovered that I could run this command: "wineconsole cmd". This created a windows console. Then I could cd to the DW directory in my .wine directory. I created a simple bat file (hello.bat), then ran it (I just typed 'hello.bat') and it worked. I'll look into the upper case/lower case thingy. I figure that if the thing blows up, I can just rm -r the DW directory and re-download DW from Steam. I haven't messed around with the files except for replacing the old sfx.agg with another sfx.agg file.

BTW, I installed Steam under Wine according to the OpenSuse directions.

Thanks again.
Old 01-17-15, 12:26 PM   #6
montaigne
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks to all who welcomed me to the forum.
Old 01-17-15, 01:14 PM   #7
Red_88
Sailor man

Quote:
"wineconsole cmd". This created a windows console.
ohh i getting old, the use of the dosbox for that, whas in the talks 4years ago, finally this feature is in the release. I just done what you have done, the WINE is In REAL progress, when I have time I study further , look interesting.

for the the upper case issue, in opensue there is a programm called"Krename"
it can convert multiple files. it can set all filenames in a folder to lower case or UPPER case, as you wish. It look likes worth a Try.

Last edited by Red_88; 01-17-15 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-17-15, 05:44 PM   #8
montaigne
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Apparent Success

OK.

I copied the new RA mod, 1.39, and the associated .bat file into the DW directory under the wine-steam install per the instructionsl. I changed the name of the Audio/aggie directory to Audio/sfx per the instructions of another poster whose name has slipped my mind (forgive me). Then I ran wineconsole cmd and got the windows terminal. I cd'd into the DW directory and ran the .bat file and apparently it was a success. I changed the name of the sfx directory back to aggie, copied the database fix into the database directory. Then I launched Steam, and clicked Dangerous Waters and the game with the new mod. So far everything seems alright. Cool.
Old 01-17-15, 05:53 PM   #9
montaigne
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default DW and Steam

BTW, Red, if I wasn't clear. I bought DW thru Steam. That's what I meant by saying that if the mod install blew up, I could just download the game again from Steam. I didn't install it from a disk.
Old 01-17-15, 10:57 PM   #10
Red_88
Sailor man

sorry, Yesterday I didn't realize you were using steam.. I never used it by myself is it any good? how the games are provided? as *.iso files? or just the gamefolder? what is the catch?

Today I was trying again with wine to install RA Mod.
It works here too.
To make it easier instead of "wineconsole cmd" you can navigate in your Linux File manager to the Game Folder start console session and type "wineconsole install_opfor_dwx1_39.bat" .
Old 01-18-15, 06:44 AM   #11
montaigne
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Steam is interesting. I bought the Complete Naval Pack from them for 14.97 USD. Each game is dl'd to your pc when you want it. I really don't know in what form it initially comes over to my machine.

The Complete Naval Pack contains 688(I), Sub Command, Dangerous Waters, and Fleet Command.

Check it out.

Old 04-18-15, 08:42 AM   #12
Relmu
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

How did those installs go btw? Did they work?

After sinking the Nimitz for the 7th time I'm starting to think it's a little too easy...