SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-11, 12:11 PM   #1
The Admiral
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Adding playable platforms.

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, so my bad if this is in the wrong section, or otherwise not following the rules of the waves around here.

Anyhow, I'm trying to get the jawesome Type 45 Destroyer to be playable, and I really just want some hints, tips or anything to help me Ideally, I'd like to know how to set up an interface specific to the Type 45, but at the least I'll be happy with the Perry DDR interface.

Any help would be brilliant!

Ta,
The Admiral
The Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 12:31 PM   #2
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Welcome Aboard The Admiral!

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 07:26 PM   #3
Krabb
Navy Dude

Downloads: 32

Welcome Aboard!

To add a new interface will probably be too difficult. You need to hex-edit, disasm, and such. It will be easier to copy interface of Perry.

Firstly, you need to copy interface folder. Secondly, you need to copy its entry in controllers.ini. Thirdly, you need to adjust this entry (sorry, I don't know the meaning of its values). Fourthly, you need to modify interface graphics. To do this you will need decompress.exe utility (to unpack) and cmputil.exe (to pack) (sorry again, I don't know where you can get them).

I hope I missed nothing. Perhaps someone can explain better.
Krabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 04:32 AM   #4
The Admiral
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabb View Post
Thirdly, you need to adjust this entry (sorry, I don't know the meaning of its values).
Which entry? :P

Thanks anyway, this is a good starting point I guess. Anymore help would be appreciated.

Last edited by The Admiral; 03-19-11 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-19-11, 06:01 AM   #5
Krabb
Navy Dude

@The Admiral:
You need the lines describing interface of Perry (middle part skipped):
Code:
[Interface] "FFG" 377
[END]
"FFG" should be replaced by the name of your interface, such as "Type45". The number after it should be changed too, but I do not know by what rule it should be changed. Other strings (till [END]) should probably be changed as well.
Old 03-19-11, 06:34 AM   #6
The Admiral
Swabbie

Ok... what do I need to change in the .exe itself?

Btw, I've worked out that the number after the [Interface] "FFG" thing is the shipclass id, that I looked up by using the RA database editor

427 is my number ^_^

----
EDIT: Just created a custom mission in the editor, was able to select the Type 45 as a playable platform, then loaded the mission. It crashed :P I just had to try xD

----
EDIT 2: Trying to find a .exe decompressor atm, but to no avail. Is decompressor.exe the exact name of the thing?

----
EDIT 3: Ok, from cruising around Dangerous Waters mod forums, I've discovered the program, and figured out that it's unpacking the .grp files, not the .exe So what do I need to change xD

Last edited by The Admiral; 03-19-11 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-19-11, 08:57 AM   #7
Krabb
Navy Dude

I remembered where I downloaded these tools: http://subguru.com/. But they are only required for modifying interface graphics and sounds.

But since you have crashes, it is a more serious problem. Sensors from the database for Type 45 doesn't correspond to the sensors defined in the Perry interface. It is solved only by hex-editing of the interface DLL's, which I cannot help.

You can also try to edit sensors for Type 45 in the DB. What's important is the order of the sensors types. For example Perry has ESM sensor in slot 3, and so should be for Type 45. But there is a problem: I see Type 45 doesn't have TA, which is necessary to avoid crashes with Perry interface...
Old 03-19-11, 01:16 PM   #8
The Admiral
Swabbie

Ahhh ofc, I forgot I'd need to adapt that. No problem, this RA database thing has a gui sensor editor thing

P.S. "TA"?

---
EDIT: Gah, this database thing isn't saving what I edit properly :/ I tried just switching what the ship's stats are to the Perry class, so I could test it... I'll see if I can manually edit the db with a text editor or exel or sommet.

---
EDIT 2: Ok, I just realised you had to click "save" to ... save... the database. XD But no, changing the stats to the Perry does not work. The search goes on, I guess....

---
EDIT 3: Right, I've recognise that although you can change the "object ID", you can't change the "object" type it links to, and all it's stats, like sensors and launchers. I'll try adding it to the Perry ship class, whilst keeping the Type 45 object id. :S

---
EDIT 4: Ok, that didn't work. And neither did assigning the ship the same object id and type as the Perry. :stumped face:

---
EDIT 5: Well, I'm stumped at what to do to make the Type 45 actually workable, so whilst I await some help or come across some magical document to aid me, I assigned the Perry object the Type 45 destroyer 3D models.

However, the animations don't work and the mesh coordinates are messed up, as I just changed the file strings, not the whole thing. This will all change when I get the Type 45 working properly

And then maybe some other classes like the Astute and the Invincible, for funzies ^^

Last edited by The Admiral; 03-19-11 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-20-11, 05:59 AM   #9
Krabb
Navy Dude

You shouldn't change object ID or whatever, only sensors (what sensor in which slot).

After changes are done you need to click "Apply", close object page and then save the database. Perhaps there is a tutorial somewhere on DB editor.

TA - Towed Array.
Old 03-20-11, 07:12 AM   #10
The Admiral
Swabbie

Yeahhh, but I thought that it'd just be quicker to change the object class which holds all the sensor info.

Meh, I'll manually edit the sensor stuff later today.

---
EDIT: Hmm. I tried editing the sensors, and made all the launch/aircraft/sensor things equal to the Perry, but it didn't work

Last edited by The Admiral; 03-20-11 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-10-11, 04:54 PM   #11
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119

I would love to see a playble nimitz class.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 08:59 PM   #12
MR. Wood
Planesman

Downloads: 170
Uploads: 5

Since finding this I was able to create a Upholder have to edit the mast still but the one thing I was forgetting was to change the sensors to match what interface you copied and pasted. This has been driving me nuts for 4 days now. After testing and playing with her some I will create a update and upload it.

Edit Having problems moving the mast using the db editor is this due to the interface? If so any Idea how to fix this problem

Last edited by MR. Wood; 01-24-17 at 10:08 PM.
MR. Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 04:02 AM   #13
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Wood View Post
Edit Having problems moving the mast using the db editor is this due to the interface? If so any Idea how to fix this problem
Snorkel, Antenna and Floating Wire masts are hard coded in the DLL files:

Snorkel: ShipControl.dll (Text Link - Has to match Name)
Antenna & Floating Wire: Radio.dll (Byte Link - Has to match ID)

Only after changing those values in the DLLs, you can adjust the mast coordinates in the DB.
Old 01-25-17, 04:29 AM   #14
MR. Wood
Planesman

Downloads: 170
Uploads: 5

That is what I was afraid of the floating wire is up high a bit on the sail towed array is just about 1.5 meters aft of the starboard plane. The rest of the mast are low and forward of the sail. I have two different hex editors but have no idea what I'm looking at changing. I was wanting to use the German 212 due to about equal size ,and the better looking mast but with out knowing how to edit the dll files to change weapons I went with the Trafalgar being roughly same technology as the Upholder and same torps and missiles.
MR. Wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod, playable, type 45