SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-22-08, 10:34 PM   #1
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default Hey would you like be interested in this little mod based on LWAMI?

Here's the Readme. I don't know what to call this small simple mod. Extension mod for LWAMI 308?

Changes to LWAMI 3.08
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Seawolf now has a silent speed of 25 knots as claimed by the US Navy.
The passive sonars of the Seawolf have been properly modified to reflect
Seawolf's higher operating speeds. This modification is based only by estimate guessing.
Now I feel more confident commanding the Seawolf. The ultimate underwater
stealth technology of the US Navy.

Both Akula II and Akula I improved have been made a little noisier than the US
Improved Los Angeles class submarine. Akula II is still quieter than the AKula
I improved though.

All the radio floating wire have been lengthened 4 times the stock length and
triple its buoyancy.Now it is possible to receive radio comm at deeper depths
and higher speed.The time to fully deploy the floating wire has been
appropriately lengthened 4 times over.

Feel free to post your comments
Just PM me on subsim

I do not claim the changes would make the game closer to reality.
However I made these changes to make the game more realistic in my own personal

opinion and taste. I made the changes based on only estimated guessing.

All changes are based on LWAMI 3.08.
---------------------------------------------------------

For installation back up your whole Database directory.->rename it something else

Put the object.eod into your database directory->Put the new database folder into game installation folder

Put the testSeawolf.mu scenario file in your scenario directory->Ignore this. Sorry. I didn't include this file

---------------------------------------------------------
I've included a modified torpedo.txt doctrine file which was posted by Bill Nichols on subsim a while ago.
It made the torpedoes to run at max speed when pinging or to 40 knots when set
to passive. when not activated the torpedoes will move at a preset speed.
So this enable us to launch a slow speed torpedo.

The idea was not mine. I just made the changes based on what was posted on the
forum. The idea was Xavier. M's.

Castout
-----------------------------------------------------------
New Link and files

http://files.filefront.com/ExtendedMod+fixedrar/;1

Old one contains faulty Kilo battery sorry

And now the entire Database files are included. Should be okay.

Last edited by Castout; 10-23-08 at 12:14 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 12:10 AM   #2
Castout
Silent Hunter

I'm looking for feedback especially on the floating wire length and buoyancy.

Because this actually redefines the tactical picture of the role of a submarine in a fleet operation. In that now a sub is part of the fleet not fully cut of from it. Now the sub is not oblivious as long as it is not diving too deep or at relatively high speeds.

With the length being 4 times over and buoyancy 3 times over the sub now can still read tactical pictures from the fleet or nearby maritime patrol aircraft even while not near surface or periscope depth and while traveling at medium speed. Not only that the sub is now even able to add its solution to the fleet tactical picture which is perhaps more useful for multiplayer games.

Did I overdone this? If so what's the more appropriate radio wire length? and its buoyancy? I feel the stock is rather ridiculously short to be useful.
Old 10-23-08, 06:10 AM   #3
Castout
Silent Hunter

Though the floating wire is now quite long(2000 feet to 2400 feet) your speed must be low in order to have a radio link with the wire.

This is because the wire's tension needs to be low in order it to float successfully to the surface.

If you are traveling at high speed or more than 5 knots the wire would be dragged under by the seawater above it because the wire starts from the sub itself all the way to the surface and hence a portion of it will always be underwater and hence that portion will be dragged under by your excess speed which is causing the seawater flow around the submerged wire to drag the whole wire down(increasing the wire's tension).

Increasing the buoyancy of the floating wire will not help you gain more speed but rather merely increases the depths at which you could establish radio link with your wire. Your speed will still be limited to about 5 knots. This is due to the reason I explain above.

So now the advantage of having such a long floating wire is merely to increase the depths at which you still could establish communication with the fleet.
Now it is possible to establish radio link at depth of more than 300 feet(100m) only if you are traveling at slow speed(about 5 knots).

Last edited by Castout; 10-23-08 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-23-08, 03:28 PM   #4
GrayOwl
Soundman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout
Though the floating wire is now quite long(2000m to 2400m) your speed must be low in order to have a radio link with the wire.

This is because the wire's tension needs to be low in order it to float successfully to the surface.

If you are traveling at high speed or more than 5 knots the wire would be dragged under by the seawater above it because the wire starts from the sub itself all the way to the surface and hence a portion of it will always be underwater and hence that portion will be dragged under by your excess speed which is causing the seawater flow around the submerged wire to drag the whole wire down(increasing the wire's tension).

Increasing the buoyancy of the floating wire will not help you gain more speed but rather merely increases the depths at which you could establish radio link with your wire. Your speed will still be limited to about 5 knots. This is due to the reason I explain above.

So now the advantage of having such a long floating wire is merely to increase the depths at which you still could establish communication with the fleet.
Now it is possible to establish radio link at depth of more than 300 feet(100m) only if you are traveling at slow speed(about 5 knots).
It is possible to increase this all very quickly - I can receive a signal on a wire in 1 minute on depth of 500 meters.
And in any speed. It is true.
You can it put as correctly - or as to you to like.
Old 10-23-08, 08:17 PM   #5
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayOwl
It is possible to increase this all very quickly - I can receive a signal on a wire in 1 minute on depth of 500 meters.
And in any speed. It is true.
You can it put as correctly - or as to you to like.
But that is extreme isn't it. It's not very likely. The wire will be so very long and the buoyancy will also be very significant in value.

What do you think the correct way for floating wire then GrayOwl? Help me out on this.
Don't tell me stock I don't buy it.

Right now I made the US subs have a floating wire length of 2400 feet (about 800m)
and its Russian counterpart wire length of 2000 feet (about 600m)
The wire now could accidentally be cut by the propeller because it is longer than the sub's hull. Like when diving with a fully deployed wire.

Last edited by Castout; 10-23-08 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 08:57 PM   #6
Castout
Silent Hunter

I cut down the wire length by half and reduce its buoyancy by a third.

So the wire length is now twice that of stock(1000 feet for Red subs, 1200 feet for US submarines) and its buoyancy twice as stock(-10).

But nobody seems to be interested so I'm not going to upload it and it is easy to mod them with DWEdit tool.
Old 10-30-08, 10:09 PM   #7
Castout
Silent Hunter

After further trial I decided to tune down the noise performance of the Seawolf.
Now the Seawolf is less quieter than my previous version but it is still quieter than the stock LWAMI by 2 points which is still considerable. The speed at which the many sonar can still be operated has been tuned down appropriately to match the lower noise performance. The Seawolf however is still the quietest and most dangerous sub in DW even more than in LWAMI 308.

The radio wire length has been cut to twice the length of the stock while maintaining the stock buoyancy value. This reduces the depth at which you can use your radio wire but still offering reasonable depth to operate it(40-50m). The time to fully deploy and recover the wire has been appropriately made twice that of LWAMI or stock.

The number of sonar trackers in Seawolf has been doubled. So now each sonar can be assigned up to 8 trackers instead of the stock 4. The Seawolf computing power requires hundreds of gallon of seawater to cool it down so I believe 4 trackers is an under representation of the Seawolf computing capabilitiy.

The Akula I, Akula Improved and Akula II have been tuned down from LWAMI 308 value by a little(2 points or more) because I believe even the Akula or Bars classes SSN are still noisier than US backbone 688i. So now no Akula is quieter than an improved Los Angeles class submarine though the margin is small enough to make tactic the determining factor.

Link
http://files.filefront.com/LWAMIsmallextensionmodF

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And if you want to play with Hyperacoustic sound mod . . .

I found a great sound mod for Sc whch is usable for DW called Hyperacoustic sound mod. Look for it here www.subguru.com under download section scroll to Sub command part. Hyperacoustic allow you to have signature sound effect both in 3D and in broadband sonar station of the Akula I, I improved, II, Kilo, Kilo Improved, Los Angeles, Improved LA, Seawolf, small boat(trawler and fishing boat) and seismic phenomenon.

And for those who intend to use this mod(Hyperacoustic sound mod) in DW and are also interested in using the LWAMI small extension mod I provide the necessary Database files. You still have to add the new sound files yourself with SCSoundedit to your Audio folder sfx.agg file. Newest version of SCsoundedit is 1.02 I think. Look for it in subsim or subguru. There is a replacement sound file for the background noise which is reduced in volume with Hyperacoustic mod and will enable you to hear the sounds effect much louder. I suggest you to also combine the blackmuzzle sound mod for DW(though you probably be best not to add the active pinging file from blackmuzzle to LoBlo's mod) and LoBlos broadband audio sfx.agg with Hyperacoustic sound mod For even louder sound effects.

The replacement of background noise may require you to tune the sound setting for optimal sound experience.

http://files.filefront.com/Database+LWAMI308+Exten

After further testing I'm thrilled by the combined sound mod(LoBlo sfx.agg file+ selected Blackmuzzle realism files(no active pinging)+ Hyperacoustics mod).
Now I could hear the sound of a Supertanker 10 nm away doing 12 knots(though it is barely).

The OHP is audible at 5 nm doing a 15 knots

Of course the trawler is so noisy.

The Akula I passing at 12 knots at 3-4 nm is clearly audible

This is a far improvement over stock or even LoBlo modded game.

Last edited by Castout; 11-03-08 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-01-08, 08:46 PM   #8
Castout
Silent Hunter

There is a bug which I think either originated from stock or LWAMI which mistakenly change the sound effect for the Chinese HAN SSN from nuclear to diesel/electric sub.

This causes the HAN sound effect both in 3D view and broadband station to be that of a quiet electric sub instead of the noisier nuclear sub.

You could fix the bug yourself using DW_Edit.

If you wish I could upload the fix for you. I've made minor change to the database as well involving the Seawolf rapid localization sonar wash out speed. PM me or reply to the thread.

Last edited by Castout; 11-01-08 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 01:00 AM   #9
SandyCaesar
Chief

Downloads: 0

Looks interesting, Castout. I'll try it out. BTW, is this JSGME compatible, and which ones? Also, I'm a bit confused about the differences between the two files: the first was the noise level modification, but what exactly is the second one?

BTW, speaking of the Seawolf--has anybody else been experiencing problems trying to mark contacts in broadband? I select a line, can even see the WAA range estimate, but I click "assign tracker" like mad and nothing happens. Turn on the autocrew, five seconds later the contacts are neatly marked.

Any help, anyone?

Vanvikan, Feb. 2009: ordinary human, KIA, night 4

HMS Thanatus, May 2009: ??? human, KIA, night 7

Last edited by SandyCaesar; 11-03-08 at 01:05 AM.
SandyCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-08, 09:18 PM   #10
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCaesar
Looks interesting, Castout. I'll try it out. BTW, is this JSGME compatible, and which ones? Also, I'm a bit confused about the differences between the two files: the first was the noise level modification, but what exactly is the second one?

BTW, speaking of the Seawolf--has anybody else been experiencing problems trying to mark contacts in broadband? I select a line, can even see the WAA range estimate, but I click "assign tracker" like mad and nothing happens. Turn on the autocrew, five seconds later the contacts are neatly marked.

Any help, anyone?
You can use JSGME in fact it is recommended to use the JSGME so that you can still play online with the rest of the pack who are using LWAMI 3.08.

But the scenario requires you to put it in the scenario folder. So it is JSGME ready but the scenario is not but it is so simple to make it fully JSGME ready .

Yes the Seawolf has that problem when playing manual at the sonar station and I think the problem is not isolated on Seawolf only but for the La688i aswell. But the problem only exists for bow broadband sonar. You just have to accept that you need to assign the tracker at the narrowband instead and wait for the broadband signal to come in stronger and only then assign a tracker to it.

The first one is small extension mod for LWAMI 3.08.
The second one is the small extension mod for use with LWAMI base and Hyperacoustic sound mod.

Last edited by Castout; 11-04-08 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-03-08, 09:32 PM   #11
Castout
Silent Hunter

Extension Mod for LWAMI Final version 1.3
Changes to LWAMI 3.08

Changes from previous version(Non hyperacoustic compatible)

A fix to a small bug where the sound efffect assigned to the Chinese HAN SSN
was wrong. it was assigned a diesel sub sound effect both in 3D and broadband. Making the Han sound effect very hard to hear because it was considered an electric sub though the SNR was strong.
Now it is assigned a proper nuclear sub sound effect. This bug I think, originated from stock game which was not dealt with in LWAMI.

The washout speed of the Seawolf WAA rapid localization sonar has been increased from 23 knots to 25 knots to match the capability of the rest of the bow sonar. Setting the washout value or max speed of the sonar to 25 doesn't mean the sonar could be used for up to 25 knots speed. more like 20 or a little over 20 knots.

http://files.filefront.com/sExtmod13rar/;12245666;

If you want the mod to be hyperacoustic compatible just tell me and I'll be happy to upload the appropriate database for you. Or you can do it yourself with DWEdit because even if I provide you with the compatible database you still have to add the new soundfiles yourself with SCSoundEdit.

Cheers

Enjoy until the next LWAMI is released. . .which I read will not be long

Last edited by Castout; 11-04-08 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-24-14, 06:38 AM   #12
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

File Not Found. Not surprising after 6 years. Does anyone else have this file as I'm very interested. (sorry for being so late to the party )

Also, would this be compatible with LWAMI 3.11?

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...

Last edited by Tango589; 08-25-14 at 07:41 AM.
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 10:20 AM   #13
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

Hahaha!....try the Website depository, may be something there!
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 11:33 AM   #14
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

For a moment I thought Castout was back.