SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-06, 12:32 AM   #1
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Recommended reads for DW and LwAmi mod

My links:

Submarine and ASW warfare

The Third Battle: Innovation in the U.S. Navy's Silent Cold War Struggle with Soviet Submarines - very, very recommended article about ASW in and past the cold war

Sonar and underwater acoustics:

Understanding Oceanography - fantastic page about underwater sound propagation ! very recommended !!

FAS.org - Introduction to Naval Weapons Engineering
(Underwater Acoustics, Environment, SONAR Performance I, SONAR Performance II, SONAR Systems, Underwater Weapons)

Fundamentals of Naval Weapons Systems

Sonar model and detection ranges:

Harpoon 3 sonar model

What is Known About the Character of Noise Created by Submarines?

Estimates of Submarine Detection Ranges - a bit advanced

Submarine Collision off Murmansk: A Look from Afar (optional)

Miasnikov - The Fundamental Limits of Passive Acoustics.pdf - advanced

Weapons, sensors:

Modern Torpedoes And Countermeasures

Homing instincts

Torpedos and the Next Generation Undersea Weapons

Naval Weapons of the World From 1880 to Today

Torpedoes and Mines of the Dutch Submarine Service

Russian Torpedo Armament

Russian Torpedoes for Export

The UGST versatile torpedo

Russian Torpedoes - a PDF advertisement

Russian Antisubmarine Rockets - PDF about APR family of ASW torpedos

Klub - SS-N-27 - Club-S

Submarines

Great page about russian subs - in russian... but very interesting even with use of babelfish translation to english (http://babelfish.altavista.com/). Sub monografies on right panel. Also very nice galleries of russian subs if you can find them

www.ckb-rubin.ru - Kilos

Various technical/historical:

The Naval Technical Board

Post-World War II Acoustic ASW Torpedo Development A brief history of the MK-35, MK-41, MK-43 and MK-44

US NAVY TORPEDOES by Frederick J Milford

(Part Four: WW II development of homing torpedoes 1940-1946)
(Part Five: Post WW-II Submarine Launched/ Heavyweight Torpedoes)

U.S. Navy's First Active Acoustic Homing Torpedoes by Tom Pelick

Submarine Warfare in the 20th & 21st Centuries : A Bibliography - very large collection, in books/history/special topics and books/submarines sections you can find many interesting books and papers with online acces, for one example: Soto, Alberto A. The Flaming Datum problem with varying speed.... or Adams, Brian S.. Analysis of the Effects of Energy Spreading Loss and Transmission Loss on Low Frequency Active Sonar Operations in Shallow Water or The relationship between a submarine's maximum speed and its evasive capability :-) ...... and, fantastic find, seems to be a little extended version of "The Third Battle", relased in PDF, I found here paragraphs that not exist in WWW version.

Utils

Radar - some info about RCS and Radar Horizon Calculator

---------------------------------------------------------------------
LoBlo's links

I've always use FAS as a good source of informaiton for american ship stats. http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/index.html

And there are a few articles on the Harpoon3 site that are interesting reads as well http://www.harpoonhq.com/waypoint/ - very nice link , try for example "In Peril On the Sea: The ASCM threat and countermeasures"

-----

to be continued...

P.S. Some articles I had are not online anymore, or I can't find them with Google, so I put them on my personal page for you, some were saved without pictures that's why they are lacking pictures now.

Please reply once in this thread and put YOUR interesting links if you have any !

Last edited by Amizaur; 06-20-06 at 02:31 AM.
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 02:27 AM   #2
Piervit
Nub

But?... This is Ali Baba cave!!

Thx a lot for theses precious links!
Old 06-20-06, 03:54 AM   #3
Linton
Sea Lord

The unravelling and revitilisation of US ASW:
http://www.nwc.navy.mil/press/Review.../art4-sp05.htm
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 11:02 AM   #4
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Very nice read, there are few other interesting papers on same page, one of them is PDF version of "The Third Battle" I mentioned. Your article describes that after noise levels of soviet subs decreased by about 35dB from mid 60's to mid 90's, and similar quietening was reached by third-world conventional subs, detection ranges decreased from previous HUNDREDs miles down to FEW kilometers at best (!! - and the people still vote for several miles of det ranges for creeping quietest subs in the world against each other :-/ was this realism mod or not ?), and passive sonars, even best ones, developed in Cold war against deep water nuclear subs, are seen as not enough to fight with such threats... Even when they can be improved still, still quieter subs can be build too and det ranges would vary from few hundred meters or less to few kilometers which is knife fight no one would want to get into... something like new generation super-maneuverable fighter planes with high-off boresight missiles and helmet mounted sights - if you get into merge in such fight, you have roughly 50% chance to die, no matter how good your plane is... who sees first wins, no matter what plane, $120M or $20M. You don't want to get into that close fight, you want to fight at distance. So new sensors, for example low-frequency, LPI, wide aperture active sonars are needed... to get those det ranges back into at least torpedo-range class (>10-15nm).

Here's another interesting one - describes just this concept: THE EMERGENCE OF LOW–FREQUENCY ACTIVE ACOUSTICS AS A CRITICAL ANTISUBMARINE
WARFARE TECHNOLOGY

Last edited by Amizaur; 06-20-06 at 11:06 AM.
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 05:53 PM   #5
Linton
Sea Lord

http://www.jhuapl.edu/techdigest/td1801/ousbourn.pdf
Detecting masts
Old 02-21-07, 02:32 PM   #6
Imamar
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur
Very nice read, there are few other interesting papers on same page, one of them is PDF version of "The Third Battle" I mentioned. Your article describes that after noise levels of soviet subs decreased by about 35dB from mid 60's to mid 90's, and similar quietening was reached by third-world conventional subs, detection ranges decreased from previous HUNDREDs miles down to FEW kilometers at best (!! - and the people still vote for several miles of det ranges for creeping quietest subs in the world against each other :-/ was this realism mod or not ?), and passive sonars, even best ones, developed in Cold war against deep water nuclear subs, are seen as not enough to fight with such threats... Even when they can be improved still, still quieter subs can be build too and det ranges would vary from few hundred meters or less to few kilometers which is knife fight no one would want to get into... something like new generation super-maneuverable fighter planes with high-off boresight missiles and helmet mounted sights - if you get into merge in such fight, you have roughly 50% chance to die, no matter how good your plane is... who sees first wins, no matter what plane, $120M or $20M. You don't want to get into that close fight, you want to fight at distance. So new sensors, for example low-frequency, LPI, wide aperture active sonars are needed... to get those det ranges back into at least torpedo-range class (>10-15nm).

Here's another interesting one - describes just this concept: THE EMERGENCE OF LOW–FREQUENCY ACTIVE ACOUSTICS AS A CRITICAL ANTISUBMARINE
WARFARE TECHNOLOGY

I got to say ya have quite interesting way to compare submarines to jets. Thats quite impossible thing to do. And when ya get into dogfight, no matter what missiles equipped (AIm9x or Python-5 which both have very good off boresight capabilities), its not certain "one shot one kill" scenario.

And hi to everyone.
Old 02-21-07, 05:49 PM   #7
Orret
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piervit
But?... This is Ali Baba cave!!

Thx a lot for theses precious links!
The most...¡¡¡¡
Ice for my eyes¡¡¡
nine thousand thanks

33 División Bolshaya Lopatka SSGN-701

Orret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 03:00 PM   #8
Linton
Sea Lord

http://cohomology.princeton.edu/book...ns_Systems.pdf
Principles of Naval Weapons Systems
Old 12-11-11, 11:41 AM   #9
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur View Post
My links:

Submarine and ASW warfare

The Third Battle: Innovation in the U.S. Navy's Silent Cold War Struggle with Soviet Submarines - very, very recommended article about ASW in and past the cold war
[B]
Bit of a necro, but I just picked up DW and hunted through the threads here for info, mods etc. The link above to 'The Third Battle' no longer works, but I managed to google an alternative link, as its a great article:

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87...d-war-asw.html
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-16, 05:08 PM   #10
Tonga
Formerly Kpt. Hess

Downloads: 251

Almost five years after the last reply to this thread...
Just in case anyone was trying to find link no. 2 from the list - "Understanding Oceanography". The Wayback Archive still has the pages:

https://web.archive.org/web/20011110...Bay/oceano.htm
Tonga is offline   Reply With Quote