SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-16, 11:54 AM   #1
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 229
Uploads: 0
Default SONAR DETECTION RANGE

Hi to all of you!
I recently shifted from SH3/4 to Dangerous Waters 1.04 AND LWAMI 3.11 and I have to things that I am trying to figure out:

1. I want to increase the broadband detection range. So, is there a tweaking value that could increase the initial detection range of the broadband submarine passive sonars or the target source level?

2. I want to set the "short" averaging time between the existing "short" and "intermediate" time. So, is there an other tweaking value so I could tweak the time average of the short/intermediate/long averaging?

3. Has the bearing rider method been implemented for torpedo guidance in the game by any mod?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by geosub1978; 08-13-16 at 12:47 PM.
geosub1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-16, 02:37 PM   #2
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosub1978 View Post
Hi to all of you!
I recently shifted from SH3/4 to Dangerous Waters 1.04 AND LWAMI 3.11 and I have to things that I am trying to figure out:

1. I want to increase the broadband detection range. So, is there a tweaking value that could increase the initial detection range of the broadband submarine passive sonars or the target source level?

2. I want to set the "short" averaging time between the existing "short" and "intermediate" time. So, is there an other tweaking value so I could tweak the time average of the short/intermediate/long averaging?

3. Has the bearing rider method been implemented for torpedo guidance in the game by any mod?

Thank you in advance!

i'll do my best to answer in the absence of someone smarter.

1. Most contact is achieved through narrowband. Even though you may see a tracker on the BB sonar, its likely following a particular frequency line. Quiet targets, like submarines don't put out much broadband noise. I know you can mess around with detection values, but it isnt easy. I'm just wondering why you'd want to?

2. not quite what sure what you mean. are you referring to the 'refresh rate' of the sonar display on US Subs? I feel like that would be hard to change.

3. a torpedo set to passive will track a sound source that it's acquired when enabled. essentially it will ride the bearing of the sound source, but also match depth. depending on the mod you use, you mentioned LWAMI, some torps can be fooled with passive countermeasures. Sadly, DW only has seeker pattern (circle or snake) and doesnt include any sort of countermeasures logic, IE: Drive through vs Drive around. It also doesnt model the so-called "left-right tag reversal" of target discrimination and intercept of advanced torpedo seekers. (this was probably due to classified information and multi-player balancing)

Hope i've helped at least a little.

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote