SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-13-15, 04:10 AM   #1
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 32

Default Mounting a .50 cal on a sub sail - is it possible?

Hi guys,

I just had a thought - do you think it's possible to replace the default sub-sail SAM with the .50 cal from the Perry Class Frigate?

I saw a doco on YouTube, on the British Trafalgar subs; they mount a MAG 58 (M240 for the Americans) on the sail when they transit straits that could be hostile.

I thought that could open up some mission possibilities - with suicide boats attacking subs in shallow waters, etc.

Is it possible with just DW edit - or would it involve some serious hard-coding that is beyond the realm of the basic DW user - like me?

I was going to give it try - but I was afraid I'd break my object.eod...what do you guys think?

To be more authentic, a modeller would have to remove the gun-shield - but still having it is a small price to pay if it's possible.

Just an idea - do you think it's possible?

Thanks guys
Stew
Stewy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 06:19 AM   #2
Red_88
Sailor man

Downloads: 250
Uploads: 6

maybe, but I think it will involve .DLL editing, because the machine gun behaves a bit different from the SAM. On the other hand did you notice that the Ka-27 and the Tu-142 in DWX 1.40 have a machine gun? but it don't have 3d model. If it is possible it will be more like the ones on the airplane, with no 3d model of gun.
I see one problem the MG have its own .dll, if you put it in the interface folder of sub, the game will not recognize a .dll that before wasn't there. Also you probably will have to edit the launcher position, so you will have to create a new launcher object for you mg.

P.S. don't be afraid to break the object.eod, just make an backup (of the whole Database folder, or like me of the whole game)

P.S. I got an idea. Copy the MachineGun.dll .grp .ndx from BEAR into Trafalgar folder, rename the MachineGun.dll to SailBridge.dll, don't rename the grp and ndx file.
Go to DWedit delete the sam from the Trafalgar and add the Mg from the Bear then see if it works or not. I choose Bear because it only have 1 Mg, Helo and FFG have two. If you want to do this don't forget to backup the Trafalgar folder.

Last edited by Red_88; 11-13-15 at 06:42 AM.
Red_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-15, 06:52 AM   #3
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 32

Thanks Red for the reply - and the interesting comments.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet - work's been too busy - but I will soon.

I wish I knew more about .dll editing and interfaces...is there some tutorial around - or do you have to be hard-core to mess with that stuff?

At any rate, thanks for our help, Red,
Stew
Stewy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-16, 11:33 AM   #4
Avimimus
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

I wonder - could the same technique be used to add the 30mm sail cannon to the Type 212?

It makes me rather tempted to try modding.
Avimimus is offline   Reply With Quote