SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-16, 09:11 AM   #2266
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannogman View Post
I understand your characterization, but cannot agree with the idea that it detracts from the game. The war was fought (and is simulated) by a very well-defined and limiting geography. Japanese had to where it did because that's where the stuff was. Maximum routing efficiency was required because their merchant marine was stretched to and beyond the breaking point. A decent captain should be able to look at the extent of the Japanese Empire and make a solid bet on where to look for enemy traffic.
If you read, for example, "Clear the Bridge", by Dick O'Kane aboard USS Tang, you will see how imprevisible (and foolish) were the routes used by the Japanase Merchant Marine. There are memorable chapters were Ultra messages sent to Tang indicates some traffic routes between logical ports for commercial traffic and the submarine didn´t find nothing, except out the informed routes and making crazy manouvers between anothers ports.

But we can live with that. The most previsible traffic in RSRDC are the IJN routes. In war you have limited information about the mouvements of mans of war. You can´t know where is a carrier in the Leyte Gulf Battle, but playing the same battle in two or three campaigns, you know where to search warships in a determined historical battle, but...in your sub nothing is "historic", you are one of the guys making that history. RSRDC has heavily scripted layers for battles. Lurker leaves some random possitions for not-so-easy-to-localize warships, but the layers are so firmly implanted, so Lurker himself adverts in the readme "do not edit with Mission Editor the campaign" because you can destroy all the work.

I played RSRDC for years and it is a great mod, only I say for an oldie subsims player as me, the mod becomes very previsible and now I prefer a more random campaign, for example Spyron (a great and underrated campaign) or TMO or FOTRS "vanilla" campaigns, no so "historical" (I make the history).

Best regards!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 11:17 AM   #2267
DigestedSine561
Swabbie

Downloads: 19

*sigh*
You've probably guessed by now that I don't know what I'm doing.
Is there any way to stop the spawns of ships in the Mission Editor? I just tried to set up a mission off Cape Esperance between Scott's force and the Japanese group, then a second copy of Scott's group (spawned in by the computer) tried to intervene halfway through! Is there any way to disable these ships and yet keep all the units added by the modpack?
Many thanks,
Nagato
DigestedSine561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 09:06 AM   #2268
Biscuit409
Nub

Downloads: 6

I`m having problems installing this mod, i have JSGME, put the files( downloaded the RSRDC_TMO_v502), downloaded trigger maru overhaul, put them both in the mods folder and activated in order. The game is at 99% loading on the first screen, and doesn't finish, if i alt tab out I get a notification "file not found: data/menu/data/black80.tga". sorry for being a noob, its my first sh4 mod
Biscuit409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 10:21 AM   #2269
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Welcome Biscuit409 to SubSim!

Your first order of business is making sure you have a copy of your clean game files of SH4 from the "Generate a Snapshot of your game files" feature within the "Tasks....." menu of JSGME:

You will use this Snapshot of the game files to compare at a later date any possible changes to them while adding/subtracting mods with JSGME. If you didn't take a Snapshot just after adding JSGME to your main game files, I think I would uninstall the game completly......then reinstall before going any further.

Next, you need to know what version of the game you have. Version 1.5 is the latest edition......comes with the Gold Edition, which also is known by the U-Boat Missions Add-On. Either way, your version is listed in the bottom right hand corner of the main game menu screen:

TMO 2.0 and the RSRDC v502 are both made for a version 1.5 game. Do not try modding a v1.4 (or less) SH4 game with these mods.

Once the stock game is running as expected; with JSGME properly added (see the first image above....the JSGME files are circled), now you can add the correct version of mods to the game. Both TMO 2.0 and RSRDC v502 (its the only compatible version of RSRDC for TMO 2.0) should be extacted to a separate folder you create somewhere on your computer (I usually put them on my Desktop), then copy/paste the particular mod files directly into JSGME's "MODS" folder (its made whenever you first open JSGME). The "MODS" folder will be found in the games main file folder.....the default name of the folder is "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific"

If properly added to the "MODS" folder, the TMO 2.0 mod will have this as a title...."1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5", opening this folder should show another folder named "Data". If this is the folder order......you should be good with "Activating" TMO to your game. Adding the "RSRDC_TMO_V502" should look the same with a "Data" folder as second folder within the mod. Don't forget to add the "RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1" to the other two:

Forget using the OTC mod as shown above, until you get the hang of playing the game.

You will notice JSGME will tell you that when adding RSRDC to TMO changes to the files will occur. It's OK in this instance since RSRDC v502 is "compatible" with TMO 2.0. Allow the changes to take place. When changes have taken place JSGME shows the original mod changed by "graying out" the mods name as above. As long as a mod states its compatible with another expect this to happen.

============

Oh ,I just re read your post "....if i alt tab out...."

Never Alt/Tab out of the game. Exit the game completely following the games instructions. There is no allowance within the game for Alt/Tabbing....that's a Windows thing, not to be used within the game. Bad things come from Alt/Tabbing out of the game.

AND, as another don't do it.....always remove mods from "Activation" by the order they were added. Last one in....first one out is the way to go. If you don't, JSGME may lose tract of what's been changed......That's why the creator added the "Compare Snapshot" feature to JSGME. He knows the App isn't fool proof if someone doesn't correctly add/remove mods.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 04-22-16 at 10:53 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 10:46 AM   #2270
Biscuit409
Nub

Downloads: 6

thanks a lot CapnScurvy, it doesnt work because I have 1.4, dont think im going to be buying the u boat missions any time soon. probably going to look around for 1.4 compatible mods.
Biscuit409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 11:18 AM   #2271
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit409 View Post
thanks a lot CapnScurvy, it doesnt work because I have 1.4, dont think im going to be buying the u boat missions any time soon. probably going to look around for 1.4 compatible mods.
Here's one of mine Optical Targeting Correction for SH 1.4, you should also download this patch "OTC 1.4 Patch1" which adds a Deck Gun correction and AA flack explosions to the game.

Also, there's an earlier TMO 1.4 version.

And, a Real Fleet Boat v1.4

You have some choices for a v1.4 game.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 04-22-16 at 11:34 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-16, 03:42 PM   #2272
flyer102
Bosun

Downloads: 207
Support

I'm using the TMO version of this mod, however there is no ships or aircraft!

When I loaded up a new campaign, everything seemed normal, but I couldn't find any thing. I even went into a Japanese harbor, and there was nothing. Just a few cranes, but that was all.

Did I do something wrong, because I installed this mod just using JSGME.

Also, I am using the patch...
flyer102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-16, 10:01 PM   #2273
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer102 View Post
I'm using the TMO version of this mod, however there is no ships or aircraft!

When I loaded up a new campaign, everything seemed normal, but I couldn't find any thing. I even went into a Japanese harbor, and there was nothing. Just a few cranes, but that was all.

Did I do something wrong, because I installed this mod just using JSGME.

Also, I am using the patch...
Traffic is a lot more sparse in RSRDC. They even emptied a lot of harbors to limit easy kills. If you really think all traffic is gone, try sailing into a MAJOR base like Truk or Tokyo. It really is bolluxed if nothing's there
Old 06-30-16, 05:35 AM   #2274
shakey.bridge
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have been away from this game for years and decided to re-visit, I have a clean install of SH4 patched to 1.5, are these the right Mods and in the correct order? Thanks.

TMO 2.5
RSRDC_TMO V502
RSRDC_V5XX_PATCH 1
Old 06-30-16, 09:19 AM   #2275
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey.bridge View Post
I have been away from this game for years and decided to re-visit, I have a clean install of SH4 patched to 1.5, are these the right Mods and in the correct order? Thanks.

TMO 2.5
RSRDC_TMO V502
RSRDC_V5XX_PATCH 1

Yes, that is the correct order.

BTW, Welcome to our little insane asylum. Happy to have you aboard.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 04:12 PM   #2276
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:

TMO 2.5
RSRDC_TMO V502
RSRDC_V5XX_PATCH 1
Between TMO 25 and RSRDC, I recommend you TMO Small Patch.

Welcome to the Pacific!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 12:10 AM   #2277
shakey.bridge
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Between TMO 25 and RSRDC, I recommend you TMO Small Patch.

Welcome to the Pacific!

Fitzcarraldo
Many thanks
Old 07-01-16, 10:25 AM   #2278
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:

TMO 2.5
RSRDC_TMO V502
RSRDC_V5XX_PATCH 1
A fine job, shakey! Remember to add the small patch between TMO and RSRDC. Welcome aboard. You are now clear to wreck carnage!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 07:03 PM   #2279
Twig_46
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 8
Default A simple technical question.

Well, at least for someone who is experienced in modding... which I am not. Do you have to install all of the files shown or only the most recent ones?

Thanks for your help.
Twig_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 07:11 PM   #2280
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Twig_46!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote