SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-19, 09:13 PM   #1
Malwulf
Seaman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default Confirm TWoS is up to date? Missing patches?

Hello all, quick question regarding TWoS and the Options File Editor

Just recently decided to open this up to see what options could be changed. Did not save anything, however suddenly my campaign saves no longer function (crashes after loading). Guess I'll have to restart once again.

On to my question though, within the file viewer I currently have multiple tabs (Submarine, Patches, UI, HUD, Maps, etc), one of which is labeled 'Patches.' To confirm, should I only be seeing four expandable options within that specific tab?

Is patch decks awash installed
Decks awash depth
Is patch independent engine controls installed
Hotkey for updating the game with current...

I ask due to the sudden campaign save breaking and I recall the install instructions for TWoS mentioning nine patches being applied.

I currently have the latest version of TWoS installed and I am able to play historical missions without any issue.

Thank you all so much in advance, and my apologies if this issue has already been addressed. I am rather new to this level of modding. I had a feeling I never should have opened this viewer up haha.
Malwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 09:53 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

First, it seems you are confusing the OFEV with the Generic Patcher, a big error, because you should not touch the Generic Patcher except doing what's in the install instructions.

OFEV: In some tabs in the OFEV you can change TWoS to your taste, but you will do fine if you don't change what you don't know. Consult the Sticky Posts for more details, start slowly, SH5 ain't easy...
Once you have made changes, you can only save 1 TIME when the program is open, or you must restart it.

And no, the OFEV will not mess up your savegames, there are plenty of other causes for that (let me guess: you didn't save/reload after going in the bunker when starting?), and to be sure nothing in the OFEV is screwed-up there is a *.bat file with which you can reset all settings to Standard, better use it if you have done changes blindly! And if you did mess with the Generic Patcher, then better do a fresh install after deinstalling SH5 and wiping all file/folders, inclusive savegame folders.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-19-19 at 10:47 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 01:44 AM   #3
Malwulf
Seaman

Thank you for the response, and my apologies regarding confusing the terminology.

As far as I am aware, I have not touched the Generic Patcher since installing per the TWoS instructions (I don't even know how to access it). The only thing I opened was the OFEV in which I altered nothing. I was just concerned about the 'Patches' tab within that program. I did save/load in the bunker as per the instructions when starting a campaign, however I was not so aware about overwriting saves causing a problem. I imagine that may be the issue, I just found it hard to consider the saves breaking and me opening OFEV for the first time on the same day as a coincidence. Suppose it was haha.

Guess a great deal of confusion was between the Generic Patcher and the OFEV as mentioned. I guess I thought they were the same program. I have only added the TWoS mega mod, and real navigation as that came with it. Looks like the mega mod takes care of that anyway?

Thank you again for your response and willingness to help!

Last edited by Malwulf; 06-20-19 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 09:08 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwulf View Post
Thank you for the response, and my apologies regarding confusing the terminology.

As far as I am aware, I have not touched the Generic Patcher since installing per the TWoS instructions (I don't even know how to access it). The only thing I opened was the OFEV in which I altered nothing. I was just concerned about the 'Patches' tab within that program. I did save/load in the bunker as per the instructions when starting a campaign, however I was not so aware about overwriting saves causing a problem. I imagine that may be the issue, I just found it hard to consider the saves breaking and me opening OFEV for the first time on the same day as a coincidence. Suppose it was haha.

Guess a great deal of confusion was between the Generic Patcher and the OFEV as mentioned. I guess I thought they were the same program. I have only added the TWoS mega mod, and real navigation as that came with it. Looks like the mega mod takes care of that anyway?

Thank you again for your response and willingness to help!

If you didn't change the Generic Patcher there is nothing to worry about, except that you seem to have corrupt savegames. Try to recall what you have done before saving. Also read possible solutions in the WoS doc included, it's exhaustive about possible crashes and malfunctions.
With corrupt saves, go in your savegame and delete the file 'special.txt' and restart game, there are chances this will correct the savegame.

When saving games:
- Never use Autosaves
- Never overwrite saves, save in separate slot each time (you can delete slots in the same save menu)
- DON'T save with units in sight (there are some cool exceptions, in enemy ports, in Scapa Flow, try out...)
- Don't save game with flooding or high changing damage in your sub (and don't use high TC)
- Best do save in open sea, more than 60 km away from ports with no contacts in sight - you will never have problems.

I'm not saying you will have problems everytime you disregard it, also if you have a lot of saves to backup your progress, it doesn't matter, do what you want at the cost of having to reload if something goes wrong.

A quick guide for the OFEV:
You can change the lookout of the game, e.g change the dials to have a style like SH3/SH4/SH5; generally you can change things that you would otherwise change in-game in the NavMap or TAI options with the difference that the changes are permanent when starting game. Then, a lot of options are there to setup which information you get about contacts on the maps (consult the THEBERBSTER sticky section and watch the pictures).
To change options in the OFEV, click on the + sign of a patch which will expand it, READ THE DESCRIPTION, double click on True/False or the trigger to change it. When you have done all changes (and only then!), click Save in the menu and quit.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-20-19 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-21-19, 12:15 AM   #5
Malwulf
Seaman

Thank you again for all of the information and assistance XenonSurf!

Based on my research and what you describe, the corrupt saves must have something to do with being overwritten and having two vessels within visual range when I saved.

I have been guilty of doing that for quite a while now and it seems the one day I decided to look at OFEV my bad save game etiquette bit me in the stern as well with the corruption. Same day. Never had an issue before then so I assumed they might be related. Lesson learned!

Seems to be rather convenient time anyway as I just noticed I needed to update to TWoS 2.2.13 and a fresh install is recommend when updating anyway.

Thank you so much again, Subsim is an absolutely amazing community and your awesome contributions help to make it so!
Old 06-21-19, 10:29 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Also savegames are mostly scewed-up if comming from a SH5 install with different mods loaded. When you install 2.2.13, it's best to start a new career and not using old saves.