SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-14-11, 07:07 AM   #121
MCHALO12
Gunner

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0

Hi Urfish,

I don't think the models of SH4 are very appropriate, at least as long as somebody creates textures that fit to the German Kriegsmarine... The models of SH5 would be a possibility if they do not have to many polygons.

But the problem of the stock crew still remains: I have very less motivation to redo the entire animations of the stock crew, so only the additional crew members would have the new, good looking models. In my opinion, the difference would look worse than using the old models for the whole crew...

What is your opinion on this topic?

Best regards, MCHALO12.
Old 05-16-11, 10:42 AM   #122
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

i would help, to create new animations with new crew models! if you explain to me, how this works...

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 04:35 PM   #123
MCHALO12
Gunner

Hi mates,

work is continued:

@Urfish: Thanks for offering your help! First, somebody had to send us the crew models of SH5 as I do not own the game. If the models aren't too detailed for SH3 (we have to save ressources for aft and bow torpedo room!) we could start replacing stock animations. Second, you had to be quite familiar with a 3D modeling software. I use Blender, but 3ds max or maya should work as well. Did you work with one of the programs mentioned? In order to create human-looking animations, I think using bone animations is the best way (or at least the best way I know). Therefore we have to create a skeleton for the mesh and assign the vertices to the bones. This process is called rigging. Afterwards we had to create new animations for the stock crew by using key frame mesh animations. The next, and probably most difficult, step was to figure out how the eye and lip movements are controlled in SH3 and assign these kinds of animations to at least the first watch officer and the ingeneer.

I really appreciate you wanting to help me, but do you really think this would be worth the effort?

Edit: Ich habe gerade deinen Wohnort gesehen :-) Lass uns das Gespräch über deine Hilfe doch über juergen_wellisch@web.de (mit Unterstrich!) fortführen! Ich freue mich auf deine Mail! (I just saw your location :-) Let's continue the chat about your help via juergen_wellisch@web.de. Really looking forward to your mail!)

Best regards, MCAHLO12.

Last edited by MCHALO12; 05-16-11 at 04:49 PM.
MCHALO12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 07:47 PM   #124
bojan811
Engineer

Downloads: 106

OMG....
Respect people!
Am speechless
bojan811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 07:54 PM   #125
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan811 View Post
OMG....
Respect people!
Am speechless
Ditto.

If you guys pull this off - and it sure looks like you're going to do just that - it is going to be awesome.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 06:45 AM   #126
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69

They look fantastic! It's really coming along well and will add a lot to immersion.

I think adding the static crew members in bunks was a very good idea for increasing the feel of crew presence.

One question...Will the final models be shaded more? The crew member on bunk looks a very bright in the lighting of the sub interior environment.
sabretwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 08:35 AM   #127
MCHALO12
Gunner

Hi sabretwo,

first, the crew members are not static, the ones in the bunks do move, at least those that aren't asleep

But you are right reagarding shading. This was only a brief test of textures, so I did not include lightmaps. In the final version, all crew members are dynamically shaded by using bump maps.

Best regards, MCHALO12.
Old 05-18-11, 11:16 AM   #128
sabretwo
Frogman

Thanks for the clarification.

Damn, I'm excited! Pretty soon SH5 isn't going to have anything over SH3 other than prettier graphics.

Awesome work, guys!!!
Old 05-18-11, 12:24 PM   #129
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHALO12 View Post
Hi mates,

work is continued:

@Urfish: Thanks for offering your help! First, somebody had to send us the crew models of SH5 as I do not own the game. If the models aren't too detailed for SH3 (we have to save ressources for aft and bow torpedo room!) we could start replacing stock animations. Second, you had to be quite familiar with a 3D modeling software. I use Blender, but 3ds max or maya should work as well. Did you work with one of the programs mentioned? In order to create human-looking animations, I think using bone animations is the best way (or at least the best way I know). Therefore we have to create a skeleton for the mesh and assign the vertices to the bones. This process is called rigging. Afterwards we had to create new animations for the stock crew by using key frame mesh animations. The next, and probably most difficult, step was to figure out how the eye and lip movements are controlled in SH3 and assign these kinds of animations to at least the first watch officer and the ingeneer.

I really appreciate you wanting to help me, but do you really think this would be worth the effort?

Edit: Ich habe gerade deinen Wohnort gesehen :-) Lass uns das Gespräch über deine Hilfe doch über juergen_wellisch@web.de (mit Unterstrich!) fortführen! Ich freue mich auf deine Mail! (I just saw your location :-) Let's continue the chat about your help via juergen_wellisch@web.de. Really looking forward to your mail!)

Best regards, MCAHLO12.
WOW, looks absolutly fantastic !!!

Looking forward to an release.....

Best regards,
Magic
Old 05-18-11, 12:57 PM   #130
Victor Schutze
Chief

Downloads: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1111 View Post
WOW, looks absolutly fantastic !!!

Looking forward to an release.....

Best regards,
Magic
me too me too me too
Victor Schutze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 12:55 AM   #131
MCHALO12
Gunner

Hi mates,

thank you for your interest in this mod! I will post new screenshots when available!

Best regards, MCHALO12.
Old 05-19-11, 03:18 AM   #132
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Hi mates,

I will post new screenshots when available!
...looking forward...
Old 05-19-11, 04:23 PM   #133
MCHALO12
Gunner

Hi friends,

I think everyone can imagine, that life in the torpedo room was very hard. But as you can see here, dining in the Unteroffiziersmesse was no comfortable thing, too.

Again, just a quick preview without any shading.

Best regards, MCHALO12.
Old 05-20-11, 03:00 AM   #134
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Hi friends,

I think everyone can imagine, that life in the torpedo room was very hard. But as you can see here, dining in the Unteroffiziersmesse was no comfortable thing, too.

Again, just a quick preview without any shading.

Best regards, MCHALO12.
Wonderful MCHALO, really nice !!!

Best regards,
Magic
Old 05-24-11, 10:15 AM   #135
sabretwo
Frogman

Amazing work! I can't wait to see the final release!