SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-19-16, 04:56 PM   #1
sshellokitty
Bosun

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default Question about 48hr patrol within designated patrol area.

Hello all. Recently decided to give SH5 another go with the updates to TWOS. I have read that once you reach the patrol area and are given the limits (80km for example) you have to do the full 48hrs without manual saving. However, what happens if you have to save and leave the game? Does the time start over when you reload, or is it bugged out and you have to return to port before attempting it again or something?

Thanks in advanced for any help, I searched for the answer and only found the advice of not saving.
sshellokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 06:03 PM   #2
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Downloads: 148

- If I patrol the area for 20 hours , save the game and continue the game the other day , this time I patrolled is also saved ?
Unfortunately , it is not...You shouldn't reload the game or leaving the area until those 48/72 hours are passed. However, if your patrol timer is reset from some reason, it is not the end of the world (You'll stay short for just a couple of promotion points). This also means that you certainly don't wont to miss approaching large convoy just because it is outside of your patrol area...

From what i can tell you, you cannot. You just have to stay there for all the 48 hours without leaving the area or quitting the game session.

BTW, i got that from here
xXNightEagleXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 06:23 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

The missions you request are not compulsory whether it is a patrol grid or special operation.
Not completing a patrol grid costs you 1 bonus crew point.
If you leave your patrol area to go after something outside your perimeter then you cannot complete the time until you re-enter it and start the time period again.
Any patrol grid whether 48 or 72 hours has to be done in one gaming session and no manual saves during the gaming time.
If you use the compass and draw out the perimeter from the centre of your patrol grid you will always know what time you entered and where you are.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 08:17 PM   #4
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

From next Twos update, patrol zones will be increased...80 km seems somehow "tight"...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 02:19 AM   #5
sshellokitty
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
The missions you request are not compulsory whether it is a patrol grid or special operation.
Not completing a patrol grid costs you 1 bonus crew point.
If you leave your patrol area to go after something outside your perimeter then you cannot complete the time until you re-enter it and start the time period again.
Any patrol grid whether 48 or 72 hours has to be done in one gaming session and no manual saves during the gaming time.
If you use the compass and draw out the perimeter from the centre of your patrol grid you will always know what time you entered and where you are.
Peter
Okay so here is a second question. When I am given a patrol area to go to I always bring up the map tools and place the grid over the correct one. I then use the ruler the "x" out the right grid, then I use the compass to draw the perimeter. Should I be drawing the perimeter from the center of the coordinates (e.g. AN5517), or from the U-boat's position when I receive the radio message about patrolling it for x amount of hours?

Also ty to everyone for the great responses! I love the subsim community.
Old 02-20-16, 02:21 AM   #6
sshellokitty
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
From next Twos update, patrol zones will be increased...80 km seems somehow "tight"...
The particular mission I am doing is BCW so 80km seems fine. You may want to look into this for the other missions out in the Atlantic.
Old 02-20-16, 02:23 AM   #7
sshellokitty
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx View Post
- If I patrol the area for 20 hours , save the game and continue the game the other day , this time I patrolled is also saved ?
Unfortunately , it is not...You shouldn't reload the game or leaving the area until those 48/72 hours are passed. However, if your patrol timer is reset from some reason, it is not the end of the world (You'll stay short for just a couple of promotion points). This also means that you certainly don't wont to miss approaching large convoy just because it is outside of your patrol area...

From what i can tell you, you cannot. You just have to stay there for all the 48 hours without leaving the area or quitting the game session.

BTW, i got that from here
Okay.. so when I load back into the game I just need to try and stay in the area. I was thinking that was probably the case but I wasn't sure if something weird happened if you did save and exit. Ty!
Old 02-20-16, 06:46 AM   #8
THEBERBSTER

Hi shk
Take the logical approach.
You already know that your grid is AN55.
You just need to find the centre of 17 if you want to be more precise.
You could just take the centre from AN55.
Using your compass draw out the required distance.
What you do not know is how close you are to reaching that perimeter until you draw it out.
The radio message will give you the patrol start time.
This can also be seen in the Captains Log if you miss the radio message or do not receive one.
Further help can be obtained in TDW's Option File Editor Viewer and enabling the Player Objectives Tab.

The yellow icon showing below the camera bar is controlled by the player objective icon that can be found by opening the extended top bar.

A green confirmation pops up to tell you that you have completed the time for the grid ( not shown) and shows a new patrol grid (showing).
When all 3 patrol grids are completed the yellow icon disappears automatically.
Peter
Old 02-20-16, 01:58 PM   #9
palmic
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
My game after last TWOS update does not sending radio messages about entering patrol area too.
I have more minor problems like sometimes Co2 is not counting, so i couldn't confirm its really bug of last TWOS.
palmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 04:19 PM   #10
THEBERBSTER

Hi palmic
You always get the 1st radio message.
Sometimes you do not get the next two but you will see them in the Captains Log.

Are you using the SH3 3 dials interface and not the SH5 Enhanced?

In one recent gaming session with the SH3 interface my CO2 did not register at any time.
Never happened again, now using SH5 Enhanced again..

Peter

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 02-20-16 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-20-16, 04:30 PM   #11
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post

I dont think so...In that case, mission counter will stay disabled until the end of the patrol... No big deal IMO...

Quote:
You can certainly save the game, but you shouldn't reloading it or exiting to main menu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmic View Post
My game after last TWOS update does not sending radio messages about entering patrol area too.
You will receive entering zone message only in your first patrol grid ,in your captains log...Later, you will see only relocation messages...

Quote:
I have more minor problems like sometimes Co2 is not counting, so i couldn't confirm its really bug of last TWOS.
Hardly, because I've never noticed such issue...Do you use any additional mods by any chance?

Last edited by vdr1981; 02-20-16 at 04:36 PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 06:59 PM   #12
excel4004
Hans-Jürgen Hellriegel

Downloads: 262

Thanks for the infos vdr1981!
excel4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 04:37 PM   #13
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Quick question for Vecko or the Berbster.

I have finished my first patrol got reposition message and decoded it. Then went straight to Heligoland to refit and now on my way to my reposition grid but still Quite a way out so reposition has not started yet.

Can I Save the game without a hitch now or should I finish all three patrols first? Ie: Can you save between patrols when you have not yet reached your operational area?
Old 10-05-18, 11:13 PM   #14
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Yes you can. I have done it many times.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 03:32 AM   #15
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 244