Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-12, 05:51 AM   #1
sandpatch
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Must have mods

Hello,
I just bought Silent Hunter V and it seems as it if is has an amount of bugs. As far as I have understood there are many patches and mods made from users here that fix those problems. My problem is that there are lot's of mods and I don't which ones to use.
I am interested in having the most realistic sim as possible. For example one thing that disturbs me is that sub won't dive to the depth I tell it . Also I upgraded the sonar guy to tell me the distance to a ship but that doesn't seem to work either.
Can someone point out which mods are the most important or must haves?
The only requirement is that it improves realism.
Thanks

Regards,
Manfred

(I did a search but I found nothing, I guess that I used the wrong words)

EDIT: Google helped me a bit. Found the TDW new UI mod but there where 633 pages... Can someone tell me what the latest version is?
sandpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 06:11 AM   #2
dik_splash
Swabbie

Downloads: 248

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) but the community always points to this thread regarding mods for SHV

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192374

Just scroll down, all links are there. They all seem to make it more realistic and playable.

I've had this game in its wrapper for nearly 10 months and installed it last week. I want it as realistic as possible with real navigation etc. I'm downloading these mods to be used in order, but I'm liking Dr Jones's Magui so I might run into a few headaches later on.

Reminds me of the "Falcon 4 dance" I hated.

Last edited by dik_splash; 12-13-12 at 06:22 AM.
dik_splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 10:18 AM   #3
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Welcome to SubSim Sandpatch!

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 03:41 PM   #4
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpatch View Post
Hello, I just bought Silent Hunter V and it seems as it if is has an amount of bugs.
I'll say. Bugs comin' out the bilge!

But getting back to your mod requests...

Another good thread you can look at (for new modders), would be this one here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=190656

In addition, as you stressed enhanced realism, I'd definitely check this out as well:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181433

Welcome once again, good luck and enjoy the mods!

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 09:04 AM   #5
sandpatch
Swabbie

Thanks guys, I must say that I am ashamed that I didn't find the "SH5 Mod Guide for Beginners". Ahh well.
Anyway, I am already stuck. It seems as if the JSGME is a must so I downloaded it but now I have a new problem. When I download it I don't get an install exe file. All I get is a folder with the manual and a folder where JSGME is pre installed. My guess is that I have to move it to SH5 root folder but what later. Should I to something? All video tutorials only sow what to do after a normal install.
Just to make sure, my current location of the generic mod enabler is :C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\JSGME2_6\JSGME\JSGME.exe

Regards,
Manfred
Old 12-14-12, 11:33 AM   #6
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

Quote:
Thanks guys, I must say that I am ashamed that I didn't find the "SH5 Mod Guide for Beginners". Ahh well.
Anyway, I am already stuck. It seems as if the JSGME is a must so I downloaded it but now I have a new problem. When I download it I don't get an install exe file. All I get is a folder with the manual and a folder where JSGME is pre installed. My guess is that I have to move it to SH5 root folder but what later. Should I to something? All video tutorials only sow what to do after a normal install.
Just to make sure, my current location of the generic mod enabler is :C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\JSGME2_6\JSGME\JSGME.exe

Regards,
Manfred
Hi Manfred.
Yes, I have not heard of a JSGME download with out a install executable exe but there it is.
I just went to Gamefront and downloaded the file. UnZip the downloaded file in your SH5 main folder. The file named MODS is where you will place the SH5 mods you use. Once you place the mods in that folder, I think they should come up in the 'Available Mods' area of the JSGME interface. When you UnZip the JSGME zip file in the SH5 main folder, there are a couple of help files to get you going. You should have it set in a couple minutes.
D40
Old 12-14-12, 12:16 PM   #7
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:

Regards,
Manfred
Actually, if your SH5 folder as you posted, than the .exe file should be something like this: C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\JSGME.exe
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 09:48 PM   #8
rss0900
Seaman

Downloads: 76

oh boy back at silent hunter after a year or two off and I'm trying to download Sobers list and follow the direction but I'm at a download limit after 3 downloads - wanted to see if the game is worth play now Too bad I guess it's Silent Hunter back in the closet.
rss0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-12, 05:52 AM   #9
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by rss0900 View Post
oh boy back at silent hunter after a year or two off and I'm trying to download Sobers list and follow the direction but I'm at a download limit after 3 downloads - wanted to see if the game is worth play now Too bad I guess it's Silent Hunter back in the closet.
so, the download limit for the mod list that has most of the mods on gamefront or mediafire causes you to stop trying?
ugh, ok...
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-12, 11:36 AM   #10
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rss0900 View Post
A little persistence will take you a long way. Trust me, it's worth the effort.

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-12, 12:26 PM   #11
rss0900
Seaman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
so, the download limit for the mod list that has most of the mods on gamefront or mediafire causes you to stop trying?
ugh, ok...
Yes when I was not even 1/4 of the way through Sobers list and had run out of download privilage, I figured it really was not worth the effort anymore. I had not really cared for SH5 in the past but saw a video with what some mods had done for it and decided to give it another chance.
Faced with this limit I content with putting it back in the closet.

I then found out about donations to the site, which in turn also ups your dl limit - since I've used the site in the past for downloads/info/and forums it seemed like a good move to make a donation. Problem solved, at this time of my original post however I was under the impression posting in the forums was the only way to accomplish a raise in dl limit.
rss0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-12, 08:02 PM   #12
sandpatch
Swabbie

I have used some of the mods you guys recommended. Back to my initial question I have realized that there is no simple answer on that question. The list is good but there so much more that is modded. I tried to plow through most of the TDW mods but he has modded way to much for me to learn in a week...
My fears of file corruption and especially mod interference have become true as well. It seems as if many of mods use each others files making them a mess to patch
I am at the moment trying to install the Magnus Opus mod. Let's see how it goes

Thanks for the help
Regards,
Manfred
Old 12-22-12, 08:13 PM   #13
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
I am at the moment trying to install the Magnus Opus mod. Let's see how it goes
Magnum Opus was an excellent mod compilation back in the days it was released. Since then, many new mods have been released and the ones already included in MO were greatly improved in most cases.

In one word, I wouldn't recommend MO anymore
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-12, 09:31 PM   #14
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Not that long since i bought SH5, but have to say with mods around here, SH5 has a brand new awesome dimension.

Only counterpart, is i had to read so many posts here and not in my native language!...a bit hard sometimes
But i don't regret. I takes quite long for noobs like me to understand all the modding subtilities!

Only advice i could say, is to respect order and compatibilities between mods.
And read all the readme texts!
Best is to understand what each mod is changing in what files...and remember the last activated is always the file winner

Again, i want to thanks ALL modders for their fantastic work here
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 04:40 PM   #15
sandpatch
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Magnum Opus was an excellent mod compilation back in the days it was released. Since then, many new mods have been released and the ones already included in MO were greatly improved in most cases.

In one word, I wouldn't recommend MO anymore
But the thing is that most mods use each others files making it complicated with modding several mods. TDW did integrate them with each other. There are few thing that I hate more than CTD'
Since you don't use MO how did you solve the problem?

Regards,
Manfred

EDIT: Saw this one. Is this what you are using? Sobers mega mod

Tags
bug, mods, must have, realsim, silent hunter 5