SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-17, 10:56 AM   #4936
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Interesting, I can hear them fine, TMO AI Jap sub and the midget sub, as well as the AI Sen Toku are audible to player on the listening gear. At longer range the light will green green and have to listen closely can hear them, they have a distinct sound in the sim. Sonar operator depending on skill, picks them up at max listed range of equipment, sometimes less.I do a trim drive around dawn or just after when on patrol and sweep with sound gear thoroughly, detected a sub I otherwise would not have this way since radar is a no go still and while i've improved the visuals for the watch, subs are still tough to spot at long distance(which is fine). Their sound is difficult to hear, very faint unless close(which is fine, makes them tough to locate, as subs tend to be) I'm just thinking the added element it will bring when have AI subs running around that can fire torpedoes at you instead of a deck gun.

Do you guys have them moving submerged yet? Everytime I try to add the AI Jap submerged, it just sinks and does not follow waypoints.

I'm just just on adding AI torpedoes to jap subs.I'd like to have them firing submerged, even if had to make a different AI sub that could only be submerged, have to run waypoints then when it reaches end, it "surfaces" by spawning another sub to run on surface.
You'll not hear the subs at low speeds, or standing still. You can have a "stock" or TMO AI sub sitting at PD, and it will stay there. Put yourself a sub in the ME in a Single Mission at -18, and put a ship of the same nation next to it, but not on top of, just sort-of close. Put your boat about 1500 yards away at PD (-18) so you don't get shot at. Now you can go look at the AI sub with the external camera. If you want to check for sound, put the ship just a bit behind and to the side of the AI sub, and have it do like 9 knots. As soon as you pop into the Single Mission, mark where the sip is after looking at it in the scope. Let the ship travel on. Check things with your sonarman, and get in there and question his abilities by sitting in his chair yourself, and put the cans on your ears. Depending upon the ship, you may or may not hear it. But where is that sub? Point the head in his general direction until you see that light turn Green, then "ping" him and see how close he really is... 'Fly' over there on external camera and make certain he's still there, then let 'im have it!... Follow your torp in for some fun... if you hit it, that is...

We do not have them moving while submerged, except when they're sinking... - Now, if you put them in a mission or campaign file, and the speed is set to anything above "zero", then they will "coast" until inertia and friction get finish with their tussle... The boat's "trim" should have it at zero gravity and "floating" at a constant depth... maybe...

If you have the subs firing while surfaced, they should be able to fire while submerged, although pollyfiller (I think it was) mounted a turret above the submarine so that it (the turret) would be on the surface and able to "shoot", else he didn't get it to do the torpedoes...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-10-17 at 11:06 AM. Reason: who was that masked mis-speller?...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 11:54 AM   #4937
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
www.pcgameboost.com is where my copy says to go. I went to the site - it is a good one according to Norton.
that's what i needed. thank you very much.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 04:03 PM   #4938
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
As I've stated in my thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install ......You have to make sure its added as my thread states and shows you how.
I was using the wrong version of LAA for my system and did not realize it until I carefully read through your instructions. I corrected this by using the laa_2_0_4_NetFramework_4_5 that I should have been using in the first place. 3.24 Gb RAM usage now confirmed in the task manager performance tab graph readout. It was around 1.92 Gb previously with the wrong version of LAA in use. Things seem much better now. Smoother graphics overall. And the game is more promptly responsive to time compression changes, view changes, etc. Thank you for your guidance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
you'll see the light illuminate "Green" when you are pointed at a sound contact - which tells me that the game ~can~ hear it... Then, like you say, if you "ping" it, you'll get the exact yardage...
I have noticed the green light will light up when I point the sonar head at Japanese aircraft that I have just dove to avoid. Kind of nice to be able to watch them pass by using passive sonar....but not exactly realistic IMHO. I guess using this knowledge constitutes cheating on my part, but hey any advantage to keep myself and the crew alive. Also, last night on stream, I was getting a green light on passive sonar from a fast merchant that I had sunk in the past hour or so. I looked at the bearing and then went to the map. Sure enough the bearing was pointing straight at the little broken red ship tombstone on the map.

Last edited by Immelmann; 07-10-17 at 04:18 PM.
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 07:39 PM   #4939
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
OK mark, do you have the LAA enabled on your SH4.exe? Also, can you maybe get a little closer with your possible location? cdrsubron7 has gotten some CTDs also by the Makassar Straits area mid-March 1942, and there was a skinning issue from Larrywb57 near Celebes (??). They're probably not be related, but you never know...
ok. fresh install of 1.5 from cdrom including DirectX ver 9. LAA applied. installed gameboost4. installed 0.62 release(see below). driving an s-18 out of manila. depart dec 9. returning dec 16. maybe 5 or 6 kills. i am east of corregidor heading back to the barn. several ships appear at cavite and manila. wham. CTD. happened twice so it may be reproducible. any suggestions?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\SH4\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.62_PublicBeta_E N
110_FallOfTheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.60_KongoFix
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1600x)

LAA enabled
Old 07-10-17, 11:44 PM   #4940
propbeanie

Tomorrow I'll do another career out of Manila and check it out. Looking in the Mission Editor, I ended up merging just about the entire 41a layer into the editor and still couldn't see anything, so I brought in the US_NavalBases.mis portion and lo and behold, the old file is in there again... None of the vessels have terminations and just drive around ceaselessly, eventually spawning the game into a crash. However, that would be next to impossible in Manila, since the US is gone by the end of the 41a layer, and there isn't enough time for that to happen... You do not need that KongoFix file anymore with the v62, since it's rolled in there... No harm, just that it's not needed anymore.

The only question that might have a bearing that I can think of right now is, did you empty your save folder in My Documents / SH4 before you began this "testing" round?...

Edit: I just happened to think, have you gotten the message box to End Patrol yet?...

'Nother Edit: I went ahead and did a quick run into the Campaign and this is the end:

S18, but I got the S/E of the Celebes Sea again, so just about the time I got down there, I had to turn around and come back to make it back by the 16th. I don't like going down there first thing because of the traffic. One US tug boat, one US fishing vessel, one NZ freighter, one Aus freighter... No airplanes though. There's supposed to be a PBY Catalina patrolling Cavite... There is something causing a "lag" in the area also... yet there is NOT that much traffic in the area, until early to mid 42...

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-11-17 at 12:32 AM. Reason: thinking again... look-out!
Old 07-11-17, 07:57 AM   #4941
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Tomorrow I'll do another career out of Manila and check it out.

The only question that might have a bearing that I can think of right now is, did you empty your save folder in My Documents / SH4 before you began this "testing" round?...

Edit: I just happened to think, have you gotten the message box to End Patrol yet?...

... yet there is NOT that much traffic in the area, until early to mid 42...
yes, all previous saves were no longer valid and deleted.
No, i did not receive the End Patrol message box.

off the wall question, could there be a spawn elsewhere that we are not detecting that is causing the CTD?

how do you run a saved mission in the Mission Editor?

LAA enabled
Old 07-11-17, 08:12 AM   #4942
propbeanie

I'm not sure if you can run a Saved mission in the ME... I have no idea how they keep up with the machine state at the time of the save.

Since you didn't get the "End Patrol" prompt, if you look at my screen grab, that prompt had just come up where my boat is. How close to there do you suppose you were? It might have CTD'd while attempting to display that.

But yes, I do suspect a bad spawn somewhere in the area, outside of your visual range, but within the game's 30km "de-spawn" range. I got several "glitches" in the game while close to the Manila Bay area, and was fully expecting a crash from it, but never got one, so I'm still going through the files in the 41a layer. If I can't find anything, I'll try driving around the area after March 1, 1942, which of course, can be more difficult than the middle of December 1941...

Old 07-11-17, 08:18 AM   #4943
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
I was using the wrong version of LAA for my system and did not realize it until I carefully read through your instructions. I corrected this by using the laa_2_0_4_NetFramework_4_5 that I should have been using in the first place. 3.24 Gb RAM usage now confirmed in the task manager performance tab graph readout. It was around 1.92 Gb previously with the wrong version of LAA in use. Things seem much better now. Smoother graphics overall. And the game is more promptly responsive to time compression changes, view changes, etc. Thank you for your guidance!
Great!!

Yes, with the latest versions of .netFramework it's important to know which version is on your system and then apply the correct LAA for it to work.

I can't emphasize this enough to you guys having a newer/bigger/better computer........you still need to make sure your system will use the proper "tools" to have this older game run as it did with lowly Windows XP! Since a newer OS using DirectX 12 doesn't even have the correct files for a DirectX 9.0c game like Silent Hunter. a player has to do a bit more checking than just lay out money for a new computer system and expect things to run smother than before!

Quote:
I have noticed the green light will light up when I point the sonar head at Japanese aircraft that I have just dove to avoid. Kind of nice to be able to watch them pass by using passive sonar....but not exactly realistic IMHO. I guess using this knowledge constitutes cheating on my part, but hey any advantage to keep myself and the crew alive. Also, last night on stream, I was getting a green light on passive sonar from a fast merchant that I had sunk in the past hour or so. I looked at the bearing and then went to the map. Sure enough the bearing was pointing straight at the little broken red ship tombstone on the map.
Hmmmmm.....I may have to look at that green light from a plane detection!! It's possible if the parameters aren't set to exclude objects above the waterline.

As far as still getting a green detection light from a sunk ship.....I'm wondering if the ship actually was sunk? I mean, was it still "floating" on the surface, giving a detection green light, while it shown a sunk ship icon on the Nav map? That can happen.....I've seen that before. I'll have to check if the green light will show on just such a situation?

I'm not sure if we can do anything about it though. If the game reports a ship sunk, yet it doesn't go below the waves, I'm not sure if we can do anything about it?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 08:32 AM   #4944
propbeanie

Watch a bow-shot ship sinking by the bow, and the screws are still going as they go under. They're "driving" themselves under. I've followed several down until I couldn't see them, and the screws were still going, even after massive explosions. Then there's the sinking noise which follows them down all the way. So if they're in deep water, and you're still within render range, it may well be using system resources on the computer and creating quite the racket... I see a CapnScurvy style "Ship Sunk Deep-water Sonar Test" and a "Ship Sunk Shallow-water Sonar Test" set of missions coming up... - Don't use the AI subs though Capn - they don't make enough noise underwater...

Old 07-11-17, 09:00 AM   #4945
Barkhorn1x
Captain

Downloads: 59

Hello all. Back to SH4 after a long haitus. D/L'd FOTRS beta 0.62 and got everything set up last night. Can't wait to get started.

As I am running Win7 64 bit am I correct in understanding that I don't need the Large Address mod?

I saw somewhere that there are intro vids. So where are they to be found specifically?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the hard work from the team.
Barkhorn1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 09:03 AM   #4946
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
Hello all. Back to SH4 after a long haitus. D/L'd FOTRS beta 0.62 and got everything set up last night. Can't wait to get started.

As I am running Win7 64 bit am I correct in understanding that I don't need the Large Address mod?

I saw somewhere that there are intro vids. So where are they to be found specifically?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the hard work from the team.
No, you're not correct. You DO need LAA.

LAA works by changing the header on SH4.exe to switch a flag for using more than 2 GB of memory. SH4 is an old game, made when 2GB was a lot. Since SH4.exe is from 2007, you'll have to modify the .exe file header in order for the game to use all your memory.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 09:16 AM   #4947
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I'm not sure if you can run a Saved mission in the ME... I have no idea how they keep up with the machine state at the time of the save.

Since you didn't get the "End Patrol" prompt, if you look at my screen grab, that prompt had just come up where my boat is. How close to there do you suppose you were? It might have CTD'd while attempting to display that.

But yes, I do suspect a bad spawn somewhere in the area, outside of your visual range, but within the game's 30km "de-spawn" range. I got several "glitches" in the game while close to the Manila Bay area, and was fully expecting a crash from it, but never got one, so I'm still going through the files in the 41a layer. If I can't find anything, I'll try driving around the area after March 1, 1942, which of course, can be more difficult than the middle of December 1941...
ach....life's details can be soooo frustrating. how does one capture a screen print in less than 19.2k? i use an excellent screen print utility but the captures are too large to fit within subsim's constraints. how do you guys capture a screen and paste it into one of these messages?

LAA enabled
Old 07-11-17, 09:41 AM   #4948
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
ach....life's details can be soooo frustrating. how does one capture a screen print in less than 19.2k? i use an excellent screen print utility but the captures are too large to fit within subsim's constraints. how do you guys capture a screen and paste it into one of these messages?
Force of habit, but I use Photoshop Essentials to resize/reformat my images to about 800x640, .jpg to put onto SubSims site. Your SH4 game images will be saved in whatever screen res your game is set to...a .bmp if I'm not mistaken. I'm suspecting other image tools will do the same....the free "Gimp" probably does too.

As far as a Screen Capture app, I tried to find the one I use (I'm not at home to look to see), but I went through 10 pages of them...... I couldn't find anything that was familiar. Here's one that states its Free, and has a good rating.....Screen Grab Pro.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 07-11-17 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-11-17, 11:00 AM   #4949
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Watch a bow-shot ship sinking by the bow, and the screws are still going as they go under. They're "driving" themselves under. I've followed several down until I couldn't see them, and the screws were still going, even after massive explosions. Then there's the sinking noise which follows them down all the way. So if they're in deep water, and you're still within render range, it may well be using system resources on the computer and creating quite the racket... I see a CapnScurvy style "Ship Sunk Deep-water Sonar Test" and a "Ship Sunk Shallow-water Sonar Test" set of missions coming up... - Don't use the AI subs though Capn - they don't make enough noise underwater...
Ha!

I know there's a specific sound for ships sinking that's supposed to be heard when the target sinks with the hydrophone. I don't think I've ever done a test on it to see how long it lasts. The trouble is if its not acting right, there may not be much we can do about it. I've never seen a parameter that tells the game when to use a particular sound, we can only mod the sound itself.

I've not gotten to the AI subs, but I'm thinking we can have them heard like any other target ship.

Quote:
Old 07-11-17, 11:04 AM   #4950
Barkhorn1x
Captain

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
No, you're not correct. You DO need LAA.
Alrighty then. Will do.
Barkhorn1x is offline   Reply With Quote