SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-18, 10:36 PM   #1
Skvid
Seaman

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default Why can we see the enemy torp the moment it is launched?

Kinda feels like cheating or a bug, besides if the enemy sees my torps the moment i launch them as well, whats the point of setting torpedo to passive sonar?

Even the helmsman shouts "torpedo on the water" when the torpedo actually locks on to you.
Skvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 06:46 AM   #2
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

It depends on how noisy the launch is and how easy it is to detect the torpedo. A good example is Jive Turkey shooting a torp here:

And likewise in the same video if you watch the map closely you can see a launch from an undetected sub, but contact with the torpedo is immediately lost.

Edit - it seems Youtube can't handle showing different parts of the same video in one post. The first part you want to watch is at 21 minutes and the second part is at 30 minutes.
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 11:12 PM   #3
Skvid
Seaman

I don't see what you're talking about it in 20 and 30 min stamps.

Let me clarify on what i mean, even if you havent detected the sub, the torp will be seen in your main view the moment it is launched, even if its not shown on the map. Which makes no sense.

Instead of being sneaky and trying to find subs before they find you, the fastest way in dealing with them is being noisy and getting detected, they will launch torps no matter the range at you and give away their relative position.

Torpedoes literally cant sneak up on you in this game, you are always aware of their position, however they are only shown when you have a sub as a contact, which doesnt make sense either.

Another, urelated thing which also can be exploited is clicking on contacts, the camera will switch to the contact even if you have no firing solution yet, it will not rended the model, but based on the cameras position and sound that plays you can tell if its a surface ship, a bio, or a sub.
Old 04-01-18, 05:41 AM   #4
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skvid View Post

Let me clarify on what i mean, even if you havent detected the sub, the torp will be seen in your main view the moment it is launched, even if its not shown on the map. Which makes no sense.

Main View? Launch transients are shown on the plot...normal

Quote:
Instead of being sneaky and trying to find subs before they find you, the fastest way in dealing with them is being noisy and getting detected, they will launch torps no matter the range at you and give away their relative position.
Seems quiet normal They hear you, they shoot

Quote:
Torpedoes literally cant sneak up on you in this game, you are always aware of their position, however they are only shown when you have a sub as a contact, which doesnt make sense either.
Not true. Go faster than 5kts. and they disappear

Quote:
Another, urelated thing which also can be exploited is clicking on contacts, the camera will switch to the contact even if you have no firing solution yet, it will not rended the model, but based on the cameras position and sound that plays you can tell if its a surface ship, a bio, or a sub.
Just a cool game feature, use it or don't. Your decision.

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 10:08 AM   #5
Tinman764
Chief

Quote:

At 20 minutes, Jive has launched an attack from inside the target's baffles. The target sub makes no move to avoid the torpedo until it is far too late because he didn't hear the launch or see the torpedo incoming.

Around 30 minutes in there are multiple launches from an undetected enemy sub. You can see the the launch transients on the mini map but contact with the actual torpedo is sketchy due to the position, speed and manoeuvring of Jive's sub.

Jive even goes as far as to estimate the distance to the sub once he does finally get a bearing to it based on the tracks of the torpedoes it fired and is able to attack it.
Old 04-01-18, 07:52 PM   #6
Skvid
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
At 20 minutes, Jive has launched an attack from inside the target's baffles. The target sub makes no move to avoid the torpedo until it is far too late because he didn't hear the launch or see the torpedo incoming.
Idk why this happens to me whenever i try it. https://imgur.com/a/dcEM6

@generalgamer here's an undetected torp from an undetected ship, in my baffles while im going at max speed https://imgur.com/iQ79zFn

As for your other points... I can assure you that camera exploit is not a "cool feature" but an oversight by the dev.

Quote:
Seems quiet normal They hear you, they shoot
Im pretty sure uncoordinated, random shots from 10kyards+ is far from reality, all they do is give away their position... maybe if torps weren't visible all the time it could work.
Old 04-02-18, 05:14 AM   #7
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I could understand, and expect, the Sonar Shack to call out a "torpedo launch detected, bearing XXX".

As info on the torpedo comes in, it should be plotted by the Sonar Chief.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 11:01 AM   #8
Tinman764
Chief

Quote:
Idk why this happens to me whenever i try it. https://imgur.com/a/dcEM6
Haha yep, I get the same thing too. I noticed Jive also kept his torp hidden in the layer which seemed to make a huge difference.